Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #241
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Is it my imagination, or is there no way to turn on the "high beam" on the xcw? Two nights ago I commuted to work on the bike, and on the way home I had to ride in the dark. The light is so dim, I couldn't really ride by it, and I'm not even sure it could be used as a sufficient running light. I pulled off to have a look as I figured it was just not working, and saw there is a big bulb in the housing, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I looked at my owners manual on my phone, and I could only ever see reference to the high beam when talking about the EXC. When I got home, I took the light off and looked around, and I don't see a way to turn it on. Maybe the dealer didn't hook it up correctly when they put the horn on to make it street legal? Please don't tell me that KTM have just used the same head light assembly as the EXC, and there is no way to turn that big light on. Why not just ship the XCW with a number plate with some reflective tape? It's probably put out more light than the stocker...
It should go on Robert. But they are crappy bulbs and burn out quickly. My first was 30hrs, the second is now burned out and I'm going to replace it all with a light/bright BD squadron unit. Don't bother going with a new replacement bulb, just put something good in ASAP. You will get to enjoy the bike at night instead of being in survival mode.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #242
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,034
You need to try the Squadron Rob.. it is unbelievable.

If we can hook up sometime soon for a ride we'll run 'til its a dark and you can vaporize some squirrels with mine

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #243
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You need to try the Squadron Rob.. it is unbelievable.

If we can hook up sometime soon for a ride we'll run 'til its a dark and you can vaporize some squirrels with mine

Yea, what you said.

OMG, I love my 500
Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #244
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Is it my imagination, or is there no way to turn on the "high beam" on the xcw? Two nights ago I commuted to work on the bike, and on the way home I had to ride in the dark. The light is so dim, I couldn't really ride by it, and I'm not even sure it could be used as a sufficient running light. I pulled off to have a look as I figured it was just not working, and saw there is a big bulb in the housing, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I looked at my owners manual on my phone, and I could only ever see reference to the high beam when talking about the EXC. When I got home, I took the light off and looked around, and I don't see a way to turn it on. Maybe the dealer didn't hook it up correctly when they put the horn on to make it street legal? Please don't tell me that KTM have just used the same head light assembly as the EXC, and there is no way to turn that big light on. Why not just ship the XCW with a number plate with some reflective tape? It's probably put out more light than the stocker...
The low beam filament in the big bulb is burnt out on your bike, it should be on as well as the little running light.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #245
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
sup fellas?!

just picked up my 500xcw last night:

i was doing some searching and i havent been able to find an answer to a question i have. i hope somebody here can help...

i want to install a brake light switch and i want to keep the oem taillight. is that possible? do all i need to do is replace the banjo bolt with the brake switch?

thanks in advance

cheers bruvs
The Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #246
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
sup fellas?!

i was doing some searching and i havent been able to find an answer to a question i have. i hope somebody here can help...

i want to install a brake light switch and i want to keep the oem taillight. is that possible? do all i need to do is replace the banjo bolt with the brake switch?

thanks in advance

cheers bruvs
Yup!

here's how you splice it in - I think I posted more details early in this thread

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #247
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

rad geek!

i was hoping youd reply quick. i didnt see any info earlier in this thread, i may have looked past it some how, though.. thanks for clarifying for me bud

one other question, do i need to add a switch to the front master cylinder in order for the brake light to be illuminated when im only on the front brake??

Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #248
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
rad geek!

i was hoping youd reply quick. i didnt see any info earlier in this thread, i may have looked past it some how, though.. thanks for clarifying for me bud

one other question, do i need to add a switch to the front master cylinder in order for the brake light to be illuminated when im only on the front brake??

Yes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #249
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Better option for my application. Wires coming straight out of the switch didn't work well for me on the KX.

This BajaDesigns switch worked better.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #250
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
sup fellas?!

thanks in advance

cheers bruvs
I would not put a hydraulic switch on your front brake, this just creates an additional point of failure on a system that is rather mission critical.... I've had two failures last year, both on older KTMs, luckily just the rear MC. Still sucks to ride in muddy hills with no rear brake!

You can either buy the microswitch that fits into the perch prewired from KTM (look at the EXC of the same year) just expensive, or from Radio Shack etc for a couple of bucks, but then you'll have to solder on some leads and a connector. I don't have the part number but you'll find it here or on KTMtalk if you do some digging.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #251
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

yea i wont mind the soldering. i just need to find out which micro switch to mount, from radioshack. ive been doing the digging and havent found it. the search function on here sucks.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #252
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Quote:
yea i wont mind the soldering. i just need to find out which micro switch to mount, from radioshack. ive been doing the digging and havent found it. the search function on here sucks.
Search on Google "topic" ADV or ADV "topic" Google will bring it up.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #253
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
Search on Google "topic" ADV or ADV "topic" Google will bring it up.
yea that didnt help much, but thanks. it was worth a try. i wonder if a micro switch off of a duke will work for the front brake...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #254
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Just got it!

Took delivery of my new 500 XC-W on tuesday. Also ordered a sicass light kit w/ turn sigs to make Okla legal.
Also piked up and ordered some other farkle for it. Plan to do some dual sporting with the new mistress.(bike)! Will post pics asap!

Also wanted to add, after hearing about clogged filters and what not. after having the fuel line recall done, I pulled the tank and did a flush on it.
You would not believe the crap that came out! so much so that it clogged the screen in my funnel. Sooo glad I did that before my first ride or I may have been stranded on the trail.

Took a short ride last sunday....The bike is phenominal so far!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #255
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 455
Thermo switch in radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350 View Post
Happened to me on my EXC and it was the thermo switch in the rad that wasn't working. Replaced under warranty and now works fine. You can double check the fan by connecting the two wires at the switch and the fan should run
Thought I'd post up that this did indeed solve my problem. Replaced the thermo switch hanging out of the radiator on the right side, no more getting hot, fan kicks on like it should. 10 minute fix, $20 part.

Thanks to Ram350 and the wisdom of the forum once again
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote