Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #421
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksca View Post
Um...This is NomadGal's thread. At least it is on my computer.
I had to much turkey last night.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #422
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Ha! You were probably in the Keys at the same time we were if it was super windy! If you remember passing two GS/GSA's then that was us! If we didn't wave, it was because only about 5% of riders in Florida ever waved and we were getting disenchanted with not having our gesture reciprocated.

I agreed with your assessment, the Keys were kind of a letdown until we got to the very end of Key West. It was super fun however riding on a road that was only a few feet from the water!! We never got to see the wildlife and alligators you saw, so we'll probably have to head down that way again.

Yes I do remember that!! I was thinking as I saw you that it was too bad you were heading into the other direction! Ir seems that I very rarely seem to be going the same direction as other biker travelers I meet. But once in a while I do, and that's kind of cool.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #423
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Hi Esther, I just discovered your RR and read it all. I have been planning my first moto tour of Baja and your adventure has bouyed my confidence.

There are a couple things that I want to tell you about. You probably already know about them, but I have not seen any reference, so, in the off chance you don't, here they are: The first is www.couchsurfing.org It's a site that lists thousands of people with couches all over the world where you can stay for free. In your case, I'll bet that at the least, you could find someone with a back yard who would let you set up your tent. The second is www.airbnb.com. Pretty much the same thing only the accommodations range from tree houses to villas - but they aren't free. The owner sets the price - often less than a campground. Again, you could negotiate for tent space in the yard, probably very cheaply. Most accept last minute reservations.

I hope you find these useful - and that if you are ever back on the west coast (Grass Valley, CA) you will take advantage of our couch (or back yard). Rick
Thanks ricksca! I knew about couch surfing, and I tried that, but it took the guy I had asked to sty with 2 weeks to reply. I was long gone by then. I think it works with those couch surfing hosts that check their email regularly, or when you know way ahead of time where you will be. Not my case at most times, going with the flow is not quite couch surfing material.
Thanks though!
And yes, I'll give you a buzz whenever I get in your area
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #424
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I had to much turkey last night.
Don't think it was the turkey making your mind a bit foggy!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #425
ricksca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Air B and B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Thanks ricksca! I knew about couch surfing, and I tried that, but it took the guy I had asked to sty with 2 weeks to reply. I was long gone by then. I think it works with those couch surfing hosts that check their email regularly, or when you know way ahead of time where you will be. Not my case at most times, going with the flow is not quite couch surfing material.
Thanks though!
And yes, I'll give you a buzz whenever I get in your area
Yeah, that's the problem with Couchsurfing - hosts aren't particularly motivated. On Airbnb a host is penalized for not responding within 24 hours. I've had MUCH better luck with them.

Hope you're out on the Left Coast one of these days.
ricksca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #426
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Yes I do remember that!! I was thinking as I saw you that it was too bad you were heading into the other direction! Ir seems that I very rarely seem to be going the same direction as other biker travelers I meet. But once in a while I do, and that's kind of cool.
Well poop! I remember seeing a couple dirtbikes pass us on the way down to and back from the Keys, some of them fully loaded down, and wondered if maybe I was missing a few ADVers. Oh well, no worries I'm sure we'll see each other on the road again sometime!!

Make that holiday money then hit the road again! I know I'm ready to go already, despite being in Canada visiting family and surrounded by snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #427
NomadGal OP
Esther

Life is rather unadventurous right now, working pretty much every day.
But........ getting this Wednesday and Thursday off, and I found out that there are some pretty neat dirt roads around, so I can't wait to go for a ride again.
Meanwhile, living with two cats, one of which is called Pebbles

Going to the grocery store, Whole Foods in this case, turned out the highlight of my Thanksgiving day seeing as I saw something I've never seen in my life, (which is always awesome!).

These are called Buddha's Hands, and are a lemon of sorts

Hope for Buddha's sake he didn't have hands that weird!

Then as I walked by the coconuts I had a short pang of missing Kauai, so I decided to get one and take it home.

Work is really okay, and everyone is really nice and happy that I am there to help translate and create some revenue.
I've already been asked if I wanted a managerial position, I just smiled and in my head thought, no way Jose, can't wait to hit the road again! Still, awfully nice to have been asked one week into the job, LOL.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #428
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Work is really okay, and everyone is really nice and happy that I am there to help translate and create some revenue.
I've already been asked if I wanted a managerial position, I just smiled and in my head thought, no way Jose, can't wait to hit the road again! Still, awfully nice to have been asked one week into the job, LOL.
I say take it! Even if it's only for the holiday, you'd get paid more (right?) and looks good on a resume should you ever need money. Unless you feel bad about quitting with a job like that, then don't. I'd go for a little extra money then say "See ya" when I was ready to leave (nicely and with a decent goodbye window of time), but of course that's me.

Don't worry about being unadventurous, you'll be back there soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #429
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
hows the weather down there whats the temp like i rode my bike to the donut shop this morning and it was 28 degrees out oh and far as my old job i dont have it anymore so now im back on a normal time he he he
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #430
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
hows the weather down there whats the temp like i rode my bike to the donut shop this morning and it was 28 degrees out oh and far as my old job i dont have it anymore so now im back on a normal time he he he
Hey Rowdy, the weather is quite nice down here, not cold at all, but cool at night.
Wondering what the weather will be like in southern Georgia in January, cause that's when I'm hitting the road again.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #431
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
I say take it! Even if it's only for the holiday, you'd get paid more (right?) and looks good on a resume should you ever need money. Unless you feel bad about quitting with a job like that, then don't. I'd go for a little extra money then say "See ya" when I was ready to leave (nicely and with a decent goodbye window of time), but of course that's me.

Don't worry about being unadventurous, you'll be back there soon.
Nah, don't think so, I feel I'd be waisting everyone's time training, and then I'd leave, so what's the point?
I used to be a manager at a health food store long time ago, so I know what it is like, and I think it's not worth the money! LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #432
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
well i was stationed at fort benning ga for 4 years and it gets cold at night but the days are mild so its not bad actully i liked the winters down there but the trees are like carpet its so thick with trees i could never really see a sunrise and sunset like i do out here in the west did like some of the old houses theres lot of cool history down there :)
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #433
NomadGal OP
Esther

A day off!!!
Yay! That's what life is all about. Haha.
Days at the store are turning into a blur, they are all basically the same, some days busier then the other, but other than that the same.
It's the third of December and I am counting the days till January.
Funny how I can have such mixed emotions about one thing.
I am glad to have the job and earn some money, and while I am there I am quite content to be there and interact with my fellow employees and employer. They are all really great people and fun to be with.
Yet the other part of me longs for my solitude and the quiet I only seem to be able to find in nature.
Lorrie's house is near the freeway, and the sound of rumbling trucks and revving cars is a continual background noise I can't escape from. My friend loves her recently purchased little home, and I can't for the life of me imagine living here.
I'm envisioning my quiet little hobbit home in the middle of nowhere with tons of flowers in the front yard that I can see from my windows, on a daily basis. I know I will be there one day, just wished I would stop hoping it will be soon
I'm reading Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now, and find myself indeed doing a lot of "not being in the now" things. LOL!
Life is a learning process, and I guess I got to be patient with myself even though I seem to learn the important things rather slow.

My supervisor had this idea to tell the True Religion company my story, and see if they would be interested in funding two new tires for me. Wow! That was really sweet of her. We'll see what happens
Yesterday I had a surprise. I decided out of the blue to check my Paypal account, and low and behold, there was another donation made by David Bell. Not sure if he's from this forum, or weather he found my blog at blogspot.com
Still, it was a very nice gift especially knowing more and more people are with me on my journey.
Thank you so much David!
Today I"m lounging at Barnes and Noble, updating my blog in which I was very behind.
I'm thinking of entering the photo bucket contest and post in my blog as an entrance into the competition.
The winner gets $25,000!
If I do so I will post the link to the contest. the more reads I get the bigger the chances to win.
Time to get back to the house and help my friend dig some holes in her yard to plant Plumeria trees and a gardenia.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #434
ricksca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The Power of Now

A few years ago I was camping in Picacho State Park in Socal. I went into Yuma for supplies and to find a book at Goodwill. Mixed in among 4 shelves of harlequin novels there was a copy of The Power of Now. I spent the next couple weeks in Organ Pipe National Monument (HIGHLY recommended) hiking and reading TPON one paragraph at a time. There among the saguaro, the deep silence seemed like the perfect mirror to reflect back all stories I told myself constantly to avoid just being present. You have chosen a powerful traveling companion.
ricksca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #435
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
A few years ago I was camping in Picacho State Park in Socal. I went into Yuma for supplies and to find a book at Goodwill. Mixed in among 4 shelves of harlequin novels there was a copy of The Power of Now. I spent the next couple weeks in Organ Pipe National Monument (HIGHLY recommended) hiking and reading TPON one paragraph at a time. There among the saguaro, the deep silence seemed like the perfect mirror to reflect back all stories I told myself constantly to avoid just being present. You have chosen a powerful traveling companion.
Yep, it's a great book, not really a traveling companion at the moment seeing as I am staying in one place for a while.
Still, during my breaks at work, I love reading it.