Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyD View Post
Thanks. I tired starting it for about 20 minutes last weekend with no luck, but all I did was throw gas in it. No battery either, but that shouldn't affect the bike's ability to run (since it's a mag bike). I'm going to put the new points, condenser, and spark plug in and see how it goes this afternoon.
I had a 76 TT back in the day,starting was kind of a bitch. I had a guy time it to stock specs,points were buffed up and checked and then it was an easy starter. That little silver dot comes up in the kickstarting window on valve cover,then ease it past compression,let the lever come back up and give it a firm kick.
The TT handled like a really big and heavy DT1,forks were bangers and clankers,front end slid at will,I broke the swingarm in half just from riding. But that's how things were back then.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
the stock XT500 carb, mikuni VM32SS DOES have an acc pump
I think we are both right. Research shows early bikes had none. Later bikes had a pump.

I learn something new every day!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 609
FWIW, my '77 XT500 has no accelerator pump.

My starting procedure(YMMV):
- turn on petcock
- (when engine is "cold") push down on choke (enricher) lever
- turn on key
- pull and hold the compression release lever
- kick engine over until the shiny bit appears in the window, or if you can't see it because it's dark out and/or there's schmutz covering the window, you should be able to feel a little "nudge" through the compression release lever (if your cable is adjusted correctly).
- bring the kickstart lever back to the top and kick it through steadily. Don't poke at it or do it half-heartedly - follow through man!

Usually 1 or 2 kicks is all it takes, though it does sometimes punish me for riding other bikes by making me kick 3 or 4 times.
'77 Yamaha XT500, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I think we are both right. Research shows early bikes had none. Later bikes had a pump.

I learn something new every day!
your right, looks like 78 and later have the pump
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #20
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 299
I had a '79 500, I always grabbed the top of the front brake master cylinder when starting, so I didn't touch the throttle when kicking starting.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #21
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,609
I have four TT500s in various setups/configurations. They are not, and should not, be hard to start. As mentioned above, best way is to find the area of resistance, then pull the lever in. The sight glass windows tend to fog up and get dirty as the miles accumulate.

If it is hard to start, check the following:

1) Points. Clean them and adjust properly. If it kicks back wickedly, then your points are too far advanced and gap is too larger. If really cranky/intermittent when hot, condensor is bad.

2) Carb. boot. Make sure your carb boot/manifold are tight. Also, check the condition of the manifold boot. If it has any tears in it, get a new one. I bought an XT a few years back that the owner get fed up with, and this was the only problem.

3) Plug. I run a NGK BP7ES or BP8ES. The extended tip is what Yamaha calls for, though you can run it without it.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Good job not breaking down on your first ride!

And thanks for the push...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
I'd walk over, Kick it one time and it would be running. Did this over and over again to everyone's amazement.

This is how I do it.

AK Greg
your our hero
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
SR 500 has accelerator pump. XT's don't....different beast to start.

Go ahead crack that throttle open...then you can learn about kick backs.

I "hot-rodded" my SR500. 38mm Mikuni, Hi velocity oil line, Supertrapp, K&N...still started first kick every time.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...

Av8rPaul screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 08:34 AM
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB View Post
I read that once in a manual or something. Never looked at the window, though. Guess I always started my SR the incorrect way. Now you tell me.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. So many posts about it kicking back and crap, geez my 18 year old little sister that weighed maybe 130 never new it had a compression release and would start it by kneeling on the seat with her left knee and pretty much jumping off onto the kicker. She was from Alaska though and everybody knows Alaska chicks kick ass.

Try kickin' an old Sportster or Shovelhead with a bad magneto, or one of the old big bore two strokes and you'll see this little Yammie is not that big of deal. I guess that's why they're building electric motorcycles these days.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
stevemd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Hi all -

New member here. Just scored a pair of '78 XT500s that have been sitting in my uncle's basement since 1993 (one is a running parts bike, the other is really nice). Neither has run in 19 years, but were stored properly (drained gas, etc), so I'm hoping the nice one will fire up without much of a hassle. Still need to learn and master the old "big thumper" starting procedure. Looking forward to being a member!

Brady

Sell me one of them. My credentials are that I owned 2 back when they were new and I'm a fellow Marylander
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemd View Post
Sell me one of them. My credentials are that I owned 2 back when they were new and I'm a fellow Marylander
I beat you to it, I bought his 'parts bike'. I got a title for it and started a thread about fixing it up:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848601
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #28
stevemd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I beat you to it, I bought his 'parts bike'. I got a title for it and started a thread about fixing it up:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848601
So it is true the early bird gets the worm Congrats. How did you go about getting a Maryland title for it? Was a bill of sale all you needed?
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
TheLorax
Comitted Lurker

Oddometer: 30
The XT abides.

Quote:
Thanks. I tired starting it for about 20 minutes last weekend with no luck, but all I did was throw gas in it. No battery either, but that shouldn't affect the bike's ability to run (since it's a mag bike). I'm going to put the new points, condenser, and spark plug in and see how it goes this afternoon.
I road-raced SRs and off-road used TTs and XTs for many years and still have a few in the fleet. All of the hints above can be valid but the main reason you are struggling is the points. Every bike that I still have (meaning the ones that will start reliably) has the CDI ignition. The points bikes can be a real struggle and the electronic bikes are easy most of the time (unless flooded).

BTW, I used my 1980 XT with CDI and no battery as a street ride for years. It starts, idles and will run the electrical systems that way. The suspension and brakes are a bit "long in the tooth" but I have complete faith in that powertrain to outlive the human race. The XT abides.

[/url]

TheLorax screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 01:18 PM Reason: add an image
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemd View Post
So it is true the early bird gets the worm Congrats. How did you go about getting a Maryland title for it? Was a bill of sale all you needed?
His uncle owned it for about 20 years, and I knew that it was never titled, so it was out of the MVA's system. Because of that, a bill of sale is all you need to get an 'off road motorcycle' title. I'll get it inspected after I'm done restoring it, and once its signed off on, Maryland will convert an 'off road' title to one for street use and give you tags.