Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #46
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS View Post
I haven't looked in some time, but I seem to recall that motorcycle tires and passenger vehicle tires were treated differently--with no duty on m/c tires.
You are correct. I had to stop the " seized for a false declaration " process on my Nexus Card at Point Roberts by getting the senior officer to get the tariff book down off the shelf and at the very end of the section o tires showing him the section on MC tires. No Duty.

I used to know the section of the act now the Customs process seems to be to just charge the tax unless you are being a dick or get caught lying
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #47
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Did you at least get an apology or acknowledgement that he/she was in error about the duty? Sheesh....
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #48
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Did you at least get an apology or acknowledgement that he/she was in error about the duty? Sheesh....

Nope, and two weeks later he charged my wife (different last name) the car tire duty on more MC tires and threatened to take her Nexus card.

I drove down to Point Roberts that day after work and got that charge reversed same supervisor and he was pissed . Went over and closed my mailbox in Point Roberts and opened one in Blaine. That was over 5 years ago
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #49
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
That must have been very annoying to say the least. I'm sure you're happier going through Blaine, I've had nothing but good experiences on both sides there. Many times, on my return from a trip south, I've got tires, boxes etc strapped on the bike and only once have I been asked what I bought, After I told him it was all on the traveller declaration form (nexus) he said "Cool.....cya later"
Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #50
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 194
Why buy in the States?

I just picked up a few parts at Shail's in Langley BC. I read through this thread and no one has mentioned him here - am I missing something? His prices were lower than BMW Motorrad by about 25%.
Tin Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #51
Krantz
OMG aka WTF

Oddometer: 98
I'd love to support my local dealer.But they do not support anything i need.
I needed pushrod seals.Couple bucks part, right? The conversation came to this:
-Hello, do carry carry parts for older bikes?
-What do you need?
-Pushrod seals
-Hm.what is it?Are those little rubber seals for valves?What is it for?
-It's for R75/6
-Hmm.What is it?
-Motorcycle model
-what year?
-Hmmm!I do not have it.
-Ok, i thought so. How about triple tree bearings?You might have those.
-Hm! i do not carry it.
And so on for anything i asked.Probably there is no demand for it? No local interest in these motorcycles? No choice but call across the border
Krantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #52
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krantz View Post
I'd love to support my local dealer.But they do not support anything i need.
I needed pushrod seals.Couple bucks part, right? The conversation came to this:
-Hello, do carry carry parts for older bikes?
-What do you need?
-Pushrod seals
-Hm.what is it?Are those little rubber seals for valves?What is it for?
-It's for R75/6
-Hmm.What is it?
-Motorcycle model
-what year?
-Hmmm!I do not have it.
-Ok, i thought so. How about triple tree bearings?You might have those.
-Hm! i do not carry it.
And so on for anything i asked.Probably there is no demand for it? No local interest in these motorcycles? No choice but call across the border

Cannot speak for your region, but clearly local BMW dealers in Metro Vancouver do not understand anything about pre 1996 airheads. Luckily, Shails is 2 miles away from me, and stocked everything I needed to re & I the barrels on my '91GS. Fair prices too, as he orders everything he can from the original supplier to BMW rather than BMW itself.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #53
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
As previously mentioned Shail's is a good source in the Vancouver region for airhead parts. I recently needed oil filter cover bolts for my R100GS - I went online and got the part numbers from the MAX BMW online fiche and phoned a regular BMW Motorcycle dealer and quoted the numbers of the part I needed. They had exactly what I needed in stock and at a very good price. If they don't have it they order it in from the BMW facility in Richmond,B.C. or from Germany direct. Prices and delivery times have generally been very good.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #54
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Bluhduh

I just inquired today about a cylinder head cover gasket set for a 2009 F650GS Twin. BMW dealer in Edmonton (Argyll) cost just over $100, Max BMW $74 plus $31.64 shipping = $105.64 USD, MotorWorks (across the pond) 37.30 plus 13.33 shipping= 50.63 = $78.07 Canadian. I did not inquire about the shipping cost from Edmonton, as I would be there in a few days to pick it up, but would definately be between $10 to $15. Looks as if across the pond may be the best prices!

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #55
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,014
What I usually do is make my orders contain my running wish list of needed items or planned maintenance items for the years ahead. The shipping costs don't seem to vary with the amount you purchase but usually involve what the vendor's minimum charge for handling is. MAX charged me $31.64 shipping for a whole box of items recently.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote