Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #13876
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I just picked up a highly modified 89 Transalp, Yes the one Jim has show earlier in this thread. But my real question is does anyone have any advice on side rack for the bike ? It has a big Hayabusa muffler on it and while it does not look the best it sure is light, sounds good, and runs great. I do not know if this would interfere with a stock type side racks or not.

open to suggestions.

Marc
I went out to the garage and measured mine. I have the one Happy Trails sells and there is 5 &1/2 " between the stock luggage rack and the inside of the side rack on the muffler side. If you use happy trails panniers, their mounting device takes up 3/8 " of that, but you can have them leave the drilling of the bolt holes for the two that would possibly interfere with the muffler and possibly choose a location that would not interfere. The side racks are connected to each other by a "u" shaped rod that goes under the tail light. That bolts to the side rack about 5 & 1/2 " lower than the bottom of the stock luggage rack. I'm really happy with the rack & the panniers. Hope this helps, & let me know if you need other measurements.

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #13877
shimazaki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Maybe anyone can have a ideia of what maybe the problem,

this weekend I went for off road event with some friends and when coming back home on the road I've started to ear some noises on the engine, today I went to look at the bike and found no only a few oil in it, almost nothing... refilled the oil and went outside to ear the engine working, I've let the engine warm and the then give a bit of throttle and the sound was there again I've took the bike for quick around the block and feel that above maybe 3000 rpm the sound was there and feel a lack of power, does anyone can give me a clue, hope I didnt break the engine :( , at 1500/2000 rpm ear a tick, tick tick but higher rpm the sound changes and it turns louder,

shimazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #13878
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,923
Overhead cam engines run with little to no oil almost always damage the cams and rockers first.

The noise you're hearing is most likely hugely increased clearance between the valves and the rockers caused by accelerated wear on the cams.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but oil is the life-blood of your engine....without it bad things happen.

You can check this fairly easily by pulling the valve covers off and having a look at the cams.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #13879
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimazaki View Post
Maybe anyone can have a ideia of what maybe the problem,

this weekend I went for off road event with some friends and when coming back home on the road I've started to ear some noises on the engine, today I went to look at the bike and found no only a few oil in it, almost nothing... refilled the oil and went outside to ear the engine working, I've let the engine warm and the then give a bit of throttle and the sound was there again I've took the bike for quick around the block and feel that above maybe 3000 rpm the sound was there and feel a lack of power, does anyone can give me a clue, hope I didnt break the engine :( , at 1500/2000 rpm ear a tick, tick tick but higher rpm the sound changes and it turns louder,

Not good. Not good. No oil and motor noise = trouble and $$$. On most motors the clearance between the piston and head is less than 1 mm. Sometimes the first noise you hear is the carbon on the top of the piston hitting the head when the connecting rod bearing starts to go. It could be valve train, clutch or some other noise, but I would not run it any more before you find the problem or it could cause bigger trouble.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #13880
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,918
A while back a inmate here purchased a TA from another local inmate, of course it was advertised as "excellent, well maintained condition".

After the purchase he rode the bike directly to me to leave for service updating etc. The first thing I did before he left my shop was check the oil level, there was none on the oil stick and hardly any when the stick was screwed in. I have seen more than a few Transalps with low oil, knowing how to correctly check the oil level seems to be part of the problem.

Here is a view of what all needs to stay clean and be well oiled.

This good engine was ruined by someone who welded on the counter shaft sprocket which had to be cut off.

Once the counter shaft sprocket was removed the reason for welding it on was revealed. The splines are damaged due most likely to over a tightened chain, another common error that I have seen far more than you would think.

mas335 screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 04:55 AM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #13881
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92

Not sure if these are the original CDIs or how long the SGH Defense has been in place... but I keep a new CDI handy - just in case.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #13882
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,401
So, watch those chains guys.

We need a little PSA here, someone with a stock TA should post a photo of what correct chain tension looks like.
I cannot as my bike has the AT swingarm.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #13883
mas335
xendurist

I agree, maybe we should create a top 10 list of the most important things one should not ignore on a Transalp.

Page 3-11 in the Honda service manual, 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" chain slack free play. I can't image not bothering to learn the basics.

One thing I don't agree with in the Honda service schedule chart is to change oil and filter every 8,000 miles. Like Ray said it is the life blood of a engine, I'm a bit OCD about this sort if thing and change it every 2,000-2,500 miles.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #13884
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,923
Oil is CHEAP !

One of the common traits of this engine that seems to run throughout many threads and user sites and shared experiences is:

(a) Transalp engines will use some oil if run consistently over 5000 rpm for long periods of time.

(b) As the engine hours/mileage increases, this oil use also increases.

The engine seems to run well and consistently well into high hours and it's only at the very end of service life that oil consumption reaches unbearable levels.

This means, therefore, that one is well advised to check oil levels when on long trips with many miles at highway, motorway, freeway speeds.

- and -

One should check oil levels frequently in high hour/miles engines.....yes, even if you change the oil at frequent periods.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #13885
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
One of the common traits of this engine that seems to run throughout many threads and user sites and shared experiences is:

(a) Transalp engines will use some oil if run consistently over 5000 rpm for long periods of time.
I don't see anything in the design that looks odd. Have any of you guys figured out why this happens more than other motors or does it ?
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #13886
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,876
The tappet cover gasket on the rear cylinder of my 87 600 has developed a slight weep/leak of oil that is slowly becoming worse.

Do I have to drop the motor from the frame to change the cover gasket or can it be done in the frame?

Thanks.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #13887
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
The tappet cover gasket on the rear cylinder of my 87 600 has developed a slight weep/leak of oil that is slowly becoming worse.

Do I have to drop the motor from the frame to change the cover gasket or can it be done in the frame?

Thanks.

See this link below, page 713 post # 10690.

Depending on how bad the leak is you can also try a very thin washer commonly used for water faucet valve repairs. Typically they are brass and measure around .020 to .025 thousanths thick. Place each of them under the two valve cover screws ( IF 87's use the same screw design). This will allow the screws to compress the valve gasket the same thickness as the washer before the screw shoulders against their stops. I would use the thinest washer you can use to stop the leak.

The valve cover screw design has a shoulder that bottoms out and limits the compression of the valve cover gasket while being able to be tightened firmly. The washers in effect make the shoulder length slightly shorter which requires the valve cover gasket to compress more before the screw hits the stop. Remember you are compressing the valve cover gasket and you can cut the gasket if it is compressed too much by using too thick of a washer.

I have found that most all leaking valve ( tappet) cover gaskets are still soft and flexable enough to compress some more and this should stop the leak or at least reduce it. I just go ahead and change them for new gaskets but I think this works to, at least it's worth trying and may buy you more time before needing to replace them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...39170&page=713

mas335 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:29 AM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #13888
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 506
Top Mod

Hi guys...
A think a top modification would be a kick start.

IMO all ADV type bikes should come with both electric and kick...guess it's possibly beyond the engineering realms of us normal bods on here..
A couple of times I really could have done with one; flat batery no way of a push start...... guess we have all been there.

Cheers
Potski
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #13889
mas335
xendurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Thanks.
Cruz, Sorry, I failed to answer your question!

I see no reason why you need to drop the engine. Not being exactly familiar with the 87 engine differences I am guessing the cooling hose tubes mounted on the heads are in the same location. You will not be able to remove the rear valve cover without removing the water tube. The front valve cover can be removed without removing the front water tube but only if you pull the front coils, ( as best as I remember).
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #13890
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
So, watch those chains guys.

We need a little PSA here, someone with a stock TA should post a photo of what correct chain tension looks like.
I cannot as my bike has the AT swingarm.

Installed new chain and sprockets with slack at 1.5 inches... photo after 600kms - bike on sidestand.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote