Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Nov 14 – 17 San Pedro

Now that I ssurvived the entrance to this great place, I can start to check it out.

Planned to stay 2 nights, stayed 4 and could easily have stayed more.

Ran into a whole whack of other riders here including Chris who I rode with briefly out of Zipolite, fellow inmate Ulyses and Justin who had stopped to say hi to me in Oaxaca. Along with these guys were quite an eclectic collection of bikers from the States and Canada. Had a lot of laughs with these guys.

Here is a pic of the place I stayed at – cost 75 Quetzals a day – that works out to about $9.50. Price is right. Some of the other guys were able to find even cheaper accommodation. Place was fine – had an extra bed for me to spread out my crap on,

secure parking

and hot water. My first time with the infamous Latin American water heater

that’s it, just a little heater in the shower head “wired” right in there. If you touch it just right you can sometimes get a little tingle . . .

Rosa and Carlos run the place with their kids. Incredibly nice and warm people.

I think I saw one or two conventional taxis in town and it seemed like thousands of Tuk Tuks. You see them everywhere, on the sidewalks, running up and down the streets . . . want to go to the next town up that Godforsaken road with switchbacks? Grab a Tuk Tuk – they will take you there. You feel every single bump and crack in the road cause I swear they have no suspension. So, take a long ride, and you may never walk right again. Pick something up at the store? No problem – if it can fit in or on a Tuk Tuk, they will take it. Here’s an example.

Cram 4 or 5 passengers in and watch them labor up the hills in their low low gear. They are kind of like mosquitoes buzzing around, always there and always buzzing.

Many of the retail businesses are on these paved paths, just wide enough for a Tuk Tuk or motorcycle.

Since I was staying a couple more days, I decided to take a bit of Spanish. Found Casa Rosario Spanish School “off the beaten path” – well you had to go down this path after leaving the little Tuc Tuc paths to get there.

My teacher was Moxi, who like virtually all the other Guatemalans in this town, is a Mayan whose first language is Mayan, her second Spanish and unlike others is learning English. Great lady and I did learn a bit more from her - only had 4 hours. If you are coming to Guatemala to learn Spanish, it’s tough to beat San Pedro.

Here are some random pics of people around town and at the market. Tuk Tuks, motorcycles and people all compete for the same space on the streets

One of the many Chicken Busses

Lady selling dinner

Ladies at the market

Most ladies seem to carry things on their heads

While the men carry them on their back, either with shoulder straps or a big strap around the top of their heads

www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote