User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
mrbindc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Wow! +1 for going the extra mile!

Love the JB weld patch, I use the eff out of that stuff for all kinds of "fixes."

Having bought various bits from Boxer Metal before, I can second he goes out of his way to be helpful.

Glad you're back on two wheels!

mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 737
I too love it when a plan comes together. Boxer Metal rocked on getting the parts in house and packed like a champ. Once the parts got here, it was simply a matter of slapping my name on it for checking in at the airport.

customs bought the line of crap that i gave them about the parts being for a 1979 suzuki gs 750, and accepted the prices i made up. no taxes due.

Byron1 and his better half made it to my house in Managua without any mishaps and surprisingly, the google map i concocted for them actually worked (pats self on back)!

getting to work removing his custom panniers.

yes, that's a tire and iron, and yes, he used it in removing the panniers!

a bit later on, enjoying some chicken, beer and then rum

sorry about the red-eye!

all loaded and ready to be back on the road (with yet another concocted google map with directions to the border...which worked!)

Via con dios my new friends. See you in Blighty!

TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,006
Freakin awesome.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,116
Mmmmmmmm. Chicken, beer, and rum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Wow. I just love happy endings.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Not out of the woods yet...

.. Thanks for those photos Aaron ! Will use them in our next blog.

After leaving Nicaragua using Aarons excellent map, we crossed into Costa Rica no problems.

The next day, we set off for what was meant to be an easy day and then about 15 miles from our intended destination of Punteranes we got a puncture on the rear wheel.

No major problem in itself. Using the luggage straps, we lifted up the rear end of the bike and tied it to the roof of a nearby bus shelter so we could get the back wheel off easier..

This (getting the back wheel off) is always a pain for us as we never have quite enough ground clearance.. normally I just use the centre stand and get Isabel to sit on the front mudguard and tip the balance forward but still it is not that easy to manouvre the wheel out... does anyone know a better way?

Chris... can you guess what my new favourite T-shirt is?

After getting the wheel off, we improvised and made use of a stream to locate the puncture:

All was going so well, we were about to put the innertube back on when upon inspecting the rim I noticed a hairline fracture running for about 5 inches from the middle of the wheel to the outside edge of the rim . This obviously must have happened at the same time we did in the front wheel in Honduras but when I inspected the bike after that "miss-hap" I obviously didnt see it:

That isnt the clearest picture, but you can probably still see what I am talking about. When I looked closer at the outside I could now see it has cracked right the way through .

We put a couple of bits of gaffer tape over the crack to stop it pinching the inner tube and just put it all back together. It rides absolutely fine and if I hadnt had that puncture I probably wouldnt have found out about it until next time we changed tyres.... some things happen for a reason I guess.

The current plan is to get to Columbia (we have committed to meeting friends there next week) and find someone who can weld it.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience of welding these rims that they can advise me on?

2. Can anyone recommend a decent welder in Columbia?!

Thanks so much for all your help and encouragement. Knowing you guys are there to share the problems with makes it so much less stressful..

Whenever it is we get home I am going to rebuild and restore this bike to its former glory and then mount it on a plinth in our house (when we finally get one).. this bike is like a child to me now,despite being older than I am! It is never going to be sold.
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #36
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,945
Oh geez!!! So sorry you guys are having to deal with this, but glad you're able to roll along.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
Glad you like the shirt. Have that welded up before it get any worse. It looks like we are going tohave to build you a set of spoke style wheels if you're going to travel for the next year+.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,882
Wink

Regards looking for a decent welder in Columbia, here's trick I learned in another thread; just ask the taxi drivers, they know everybody!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #39
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Rear Wheel Removal

It may seem like a lot more trouble, but it's actually pretty simple and quick.

Remove the front wheel!

To prevent the center stand collapsing when the bike tilts forward, tie the bottom rung to the header crossover.

With the front end resting on the sliders, the rear will easily be high enough to remove the rear.

The wheels aren't tempered, nothing special about the aluminum. Fairly soft actually. The only concern might be the powder coating - if they're powder coated, be sure to grind it all way back! Paint needs to be gone as well from the area. Aluminum welding doesn't go too well with contaminants.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Oh geez!!! So sorry you guys are having to deal with this, but glad you're able to roll along.
Thanks for the words of encouragement Hardwaregrrl! Had another run of bad luck yesterday... more on that in a minute!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
It may seem like a lot more trouble, but it's actually pretty simple and quick.

Remove the front wheel!

To prevent the center stand collapsing when the bike tilts forward, tie the bottom rung to the header crossover.

With the front end resting on the sliders, the rear will easily be high enough to remove the rear.

The wheels aren't tempered, nothing special about the aluminum. Fairly soft actually. The only concern might be the powder coating - if they're powder coated, be sure to grind it all way back! Paint needs to be gone as well from the area. Aluminum welding doesn't go too well with contaminants.
Of course! Yeah it is pretty easy getting the front wheel off, I tried that before but the centre stand collapsed as you say.. I never thought about using a strap to tie it to the header cross over.. genius! Thank you!

Re the Aluminium... yes they are powder coated. Will make sure to clean them up proper myself before getting them welded.

Big Bamboo: Great tip on the cab drivers as well!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #42
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Are my coils toast... and a few other questions?

I dont intend this to turn into a ride report, but thought I would share with you the events of the last 24 hours as our recent run with things happening to the bike has been "interesting" for us.

As we were heading through San Jose, we thought it a good time to find a place to get a nice new rear tyre as the old one was past it. We found the BMW garage and they happily fitted a nice new Pirelli for us. As we were leaving one of the mechanics I had been chatting too handed me a 24hour emergency breakdown card and said if ever we needed them (while in Costa Rica) just call... I thanked him, put the card in my pocket and thought that would be the end of it...

Yesterday before leaving San Jose, we looked at the map for our options South and decided the curvy Carretera 2 mountain road looked like it would be a good place to scrub the new back tyre in. As soon as we approached the mountains, the heavens opened and we got a soaking. We continued up this road for a good hour and a half all the time getting drenched and struggling with visibility.

As we were riding the bike started to splutter... I opened up the throttle to see if it would clear and it did... 2 minutes later the same thing but worse this time it wouldnt clear and the bike completely stalled.

Pulled over to the verge and a quick investigation showed there was no spark.Ignition seemed to be ok - voltmeter on 12, lights working, engine would turn over. Changed the plugs - still no spark. Changed the HT leads... Spark, but only a small orange one.

As we were getting drenched, it was freezing (I never knew Costa Rica would be cold?!) and we were very precariously positioned at the side of the road with lorries screaming past I decided to put the plugs back in and give it a whirl.

I am not going to make excuses for what happened, but somehow I ended up crossing the thread on the RH cylinder spark plug. so cross with myself as I am always so careful not to do this.

I took the spark plug out to see how bad I had done it and as I did so a few slivers of metal (from the knackered thread) fell down into the barrell. At this point I was almost sick

What a numpty.

While it was only a few small bits of aluminium and I was very tempted in my anger to just screw the fcking plug in and hope it got sent straight out the exhaust, I knew this was a bad idea and would be tempting fate so decided to do the decent thing and hide the keys and try to find a way down the mountain and back to San Jose.

At this point it was starting to get dark and we were both very wet, cold and miserable. I remebered about the card I was given and felt a sigh of relief only dampened by the fact that we didnt have a phone! Long story short, we managed to flag someone down who had a phone but no signal and they towed us to a cafe where we could call and then wait for assistance.

3 hours later we were picked up by Johnny form BMW San Jose and were in a truck shivering, but glad to be back on our way to San Jose. By that time the weather was so bad it took us another 2 hours to get down the mountain and then an hour making our way through San Jose. Before dropping us at our hostel Johhny offerred for us to use the workshop at BMW the next day and any tools we needed to get it fixed...

Today has been spent removing the RH cylinder head and getting the plug hole heli-coiled.

I was so glad I didnt try and start the bike again as when I took the head off there was loads of aluminium thread in there that fell out and even some that had got (almost) down the side of the piston:

So it all got cleaned up, decoked, a helicoil inserted and put back together.

When I took the rocker assemblies and pushrods off, I was carefull to make sure I noted which side was which and which end of the pushrod was top / bottom etc. I am 99.999% sure that when I took the rocker assemblies off I didnt rotate the pin that holds them together, but once I had it all back on the bike and was checking the valve timing, I noticed that on the intake side there is a mark at the top and the exhaust side there is one at the bottom (see little holed marks below):

I am sure this is how it must have been before and it runs fine like this, but is that correct?? Should those marks not both be at the same position??

Anyway one problem fixed and now to try and sort out the original problem... no spark. Ok, so once it was all back together I spun the engone over to check for a spark and there was a nice fat bright blue one!

Why had that decided to come back now, and what made it dissapear yesterday?? I assume the moisture, but when I looked at the coils to change HTs yesterday they were both as dry as a bone.. not sure how they could have got wet. The ignition switch and seemed to be working fine as the starter worked ok... if the ignition switch was wet this wouldnt have happened right. I also looked at the points today they were fine, plenty of life left in them and gapped ok.

Anyone have any ideas? We are just going to keep riding tomorrow now it is running as we need to make it down to Panama to catch a boat. I hate having something lingering at the back of my head waiting to go wrong again so as always, any advice is much appreciated.

Tried asking the BM wrenches their opinion why it fixed itself today but my Spanish isnt quite at a technical level yet... they shrugged and said "Solo dios conoco" Only God knows!

Again, we have been so lucky to meet such fantastic people who were happy to help us out. A massive thank you to all of the workshop staff at San Jose BMW for letting me use their bench especially Johnny and Adolfo for refusing any money for the Helicoil!

Either God / karma / whatever you believe is repaying me for being really good in a previous life, or God / Karma / whatever is preparing me to massively help out someone in the future.. that I will do with pleasure
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #43
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 581
I hear having a set of worldbeaters in like having two angels riding along with you Good luck with the rest of the trip!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Poor/No Spark

Sorry to hear of your troubles - hope this was the last and it's clear sailing from here on!

My guess on the ignition trouble would be the wires or plug caps. Perhaps the insulation or connections aren't the best and the deluge shorted them out. When it gets dark take a look under the tank with the engine running and look for arcing. Perhaps mist some water on the wires and caps.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #45
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,122

The dots need to face outwards and be on top. The oil gallery is angled to flow oil from the oil route around the top stud into the needle bearings in the rocker arm. If you have it the way round the oil gallery doesn't work and you end with a reduced oil flow through the bearings.

I see on the pictures that your bikes a V reg so may be a 1979 or 80 model. Are you running points? They sit under the front engine cover in what's known as a "Bean can" and may be the source of you problem.

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:00 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote