User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #3061
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,484
Thanks for the feedback.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #3062
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
You might also remember my short love affair with a 990 that turned sour early on when the bitch turned out to be only after my money, wasn't as good a ride as any swedish women (TE, FE) I've had. (Are german/austrian women THAT bad),
edit: And you're such an easygoing rider that any rear will last for ever anyway.......
Ah yes, your 990, the Za Za Gabor of the bike world. Eccentric, exotic, loved money being spent on her, and some say went like the clappers when turned on.

I just fitted a new E07 to the rear of my Transalp 600 and was wondering what it would do to e back of the Berg but the Mefo looks just that bit more aggressive.

Ps, I only fall over when stopped or hit by cars.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #3063
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I'm certainly tempted to try the Mefo's next. I'm running an MT43 rear right now and liking it, but there's no way it'll see more than bout 1,500 miles before it's toast. No happy with the front tho' - another Pirelli (MT21, I think). Doesn't work well in the dirt.

Finn - any particular reason you went with the 140 over the 130?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #3064
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

I am currently using a Maxxis Dualmaxx rear, over 3000 klms so far with about another 1500+ more to go. Tar work does wear it quicker though. It has been very good in all conditions so far

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...maxx-Rear.aspx

"The DualMaxx is specially designed to perform well on and off-road. The DualMaxx features a heavy-duty, DOT-approved compound that provides excellent stability on varying terrain. Aggressive knobs and hard biting edges deliver optimum traction and grip, no matter what the terrain.

Aggressive knobs provide superior handling and stability in any type of terrain
Tire construction meets strict European standards and International Six Day Event requirements
"S" speed rated for ultimate performance
DOT-approved."

George Carlin
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3065
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Finn - any particular reason you went with the 140 over the 130?
Because the MEFO Super Explorer only comes in a 140 and 150 size. Just like the 908RR only comes in 140.
The MEFO Explorer does come in a 130, but is a completely different tire and should not be confused with the SE.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #3066
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Because the MEFO Super Explorer only comes in a 140 and 150 size. Just like the 908RR only comes in 140.
The MEFO Explorer does come in a 130, but is a completely different tire and should not be confused with the SE.
I also run a 140/80/18 Mich Desert Tire on my bikes!
I have been since back in 1986 I like the way it feels and tracks
Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #3067
ribmtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
2011 fe390

I am looking at a 11 FE390. Just out of curiosity, how come there are so few options for a O/S fuel tank? Does it have to do with the FI? I like the subframe tank option, it looks sweet.
ribmtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3068
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribmtrider View Post
I am looking at a 11 FE390. Just out of curiosity, how come there are so few options for a O/S fuel tank? Does it have to do with the FI? I like the subframe tank option, it looks sweet.
How many options do you want? There is a subframe tank, the Safari front tank and the Safari rear tank.. that is more than most other bikes have?? They are all just super expensive.. and that has to do with the limited number of 70 degree bikes sold, the complex molding needed to make the tanks fit, and the fuel injection.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #3069
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
How many options do you want? There is a subframe tank, the Safari front tank and the Safari rear tank.. that is more than most other bikes have?? They are all just super expensive.. and that has to do with the limited number of 70 degree bikes sold, the complex molding needed to make the tanks fit, and the fuel injection.
Well let's see...

The sub frame tank is unavailable and the Gen 1 versions leak

The rear Safari tank sits too high...prevents the use of luggage...and looks like crap....

The front Safari is the best option...but is too big and heavy for many.......although I liked mine...

I see ribmt's point....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3070
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Well let's see...

The rear Safari tank sits too high...prevents the use of luggage...and looks like crap....

The front Safari is the best option...but is too big and heavy for many.......although I liked mine...

I see ribmt's point....
yeah but what else is available for other bikes? The front safari tank is essentially the same front tank that every other bike uses??? the only thing missing is low cost options.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3071
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Not really. The front Safari tank is an over top tank, a fair bit different to what is available for say, the KTM EXC bikes which use a standard type of fuel tank and a number of manufacturers makes a number of different size tanks to suit nearly every occasion. The oem tank is taken off and replaced with a larger aftermarket tank.

The 2013 Bergs/KTMs will have a bigger and better range of tanks available than the 70 degree Bergs ever did.

George Carlin
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #3072
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Not really. The front Safari tank is an over top tank, a fair bit different to what is available for say, the KTM EXC bikes which use a standard type of fuel tank and a number of manufacturers makes a number of different size tanks to suit nearly every occasion. The oem tank is taken off and replaced with a larger aftermarket tank.

The 2013 Bergs/KTMs will have a bigger and better range of tanks available than the 70 degree Bergs ever did.
The 2013 Berg is just a Yellow /Blue KTM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the 70% is a HUSABERG not a painted over KTM.

I love my Safari front tank,
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #3073
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
ok did some more work on my setup today

first added the computer protector:

IMG00177-20121124-1107

fits just over the mask:

IMG00175-20121124-1107

fuzeblock will fit here ...just (with 17mm bar risers):

IMG00179-20121124-1113

but its tight

IMG00180-20121124-1113

and a little exposed through here:

IMG00181-20121124-1117

wire up the switches and leds

IMG00183-20121124-1345

and it looks like this with the std cable lengths: btw it weighs 350g like this:

IMG00182-20121124-1345

back on the bike:

IMG00184-20121124-1406

with the connectors on the std length cables the fuzeblock doesnt fit nicely anymore, it would be ok if i raised the bars higher but that wont be good for me ergonomically, attached to the back of the mask fits but it is tighter than i would like so i think i may have to move the mask forward, i've emailed paul at hdb to ask about the kit lukas has but no reply as yet. The brake hose has had to come out of its guide by the bottom triple clamp, moving the mask forward might make that worse so i may have to get a longer brake hose as i was planning on using a wolfman carry all on the mask, i'll wait and see about both of those though
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #3074
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Well let's see...

I have a first generation 70 degree subframe tank, on the bike for roughly 1 year and 10 months. I had to replace the standard teflon tape (white) at the vent with gas resistant teflon tape (yellow, and available pretty much at any hardware store). No leaks so far. I am sure it is like any small niche market product, there will be a few flaws and to work through.

Yep, the 70 degee 'bergs are not as easy as most bikes to buy an IMS/Acerbis/Clark and slap on for extended fuel range.... but they are way cooler.

It has been kind of funny because I was worried about the fuel range when I sold my big tanked DRZ for the 570 Husaberg. Then I have found with having the 70 degree tank, is that every time a group get's together for a ride, we end up being at a station or a planned fuel stop before I am ever close to needing extra fuel because someone else has a stock tank and needs gas.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #3075
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Looking real nice frosty, tidy work you did there!
Thanks for posting, it feeds my imagination to help get mine setup just right for me.

I have some shiny HDB bits and some supplemental Photon Cannon LED lights on order to add, will post up when I get it all sorted.

As for the Safari front tank, personally I don't find it too big by any means, it doesn't interfere with riding in any position for me. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how light it is empty when it arrived too, even with the hardware. When it's full I don't find the extra weight distracting at all, but that's just me. It just works, you get past the thoughts of it's cost every time you pass a gas station without stopping.
I hate to hike in riding boots so maybe I'm a little partial to carrying the extra fuel at any cost.

A bulletproof lightweight high performance ADV bike that's under 300 pounds when fully loaded with camping gear and fuel with a solid range of 200 DS miles = priceless.

And it's not ORANGE.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote