User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
kobermeyer OP
a what?

Oddometer: 3
Puke Piston knocking sound after break-in

Just drove a new 150cc single cylinder out of the shop- warmed it up first, drove it pretty slow in 1 and 2 gear around a few blocks, cooled down for 15 minutes or so and then took it outta town for 40km, varied gears between 2-4 a lot and gave it some 1/2, 3/4 and almost full throttle for a few seconds with down-shfting. Up to 80kmh max. in 4th gear, maybe 60kmh in 3rd. About half way home I noticed a knocking/clacking sound and thought it might be a bolt or something that didn't get tightened. When I got home, I gave it a close look/listen and it sounds pretty much like its coming from the engine. It happens at idle and every rpm. Seems to run well, but sounds not awesome. This is basically my first bike and I'm not a mechanic. Could this be from riding it too hard at the beginning? Everything I've read points to "no", but I'm still worried that I f-ed it up. It's got a 1 year warranty, but I can see them in the shop givin' me a hell of a time. Any advice, suggestions, what to check, would be greatly appreciated?
kobermeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I don´t see anything wrong with your initial break.

Can you make a visual check of your engine oil?
If it came low from the factory, it can make the engine knock.

Is the gas around there of good quality? You might be hearing some pre detonation.
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobermeyer View Post
Just drove a new 150cc single cylinder out of the shop- warmed it up first, drove it pretty slow in 1 and 2 gear around a few blocks, cooled down for 15 minutes or so and then took it outta town for 40km, varied gears between 2-4 a lot and gave it some 1/2, 3/4 and almost full throttle for a few seconds with down-shfting. Up to 80kmh max. in 4th gear, maybe 60kmh in 3rd. About half way home I noticed a knocking/clacking sound and thought it might be a bolt or something that didn't get tightened. When I got home, I gave it a close look/listen and it sounds pretty much like its coming from the engine. It happens at idle and every rpm. Seems to run well, but sounds not awesome. This is basically my first bike and I'm not a mechanic. Could this be from riding it too hard at the beginning? Everything I've read points to "no", but I'm still worried that I f-ed it up. It's got a 1 year warranty, but I can see them in the shop givin' me a hell of a time. Any advice, suggestions, what to check, would be greatly appreciated?
Hard to diagnose a noise over the internet...

I would start at the exhaust..make sure all bolts and fittings are tight. An exhaust leak can sound like a knock under some conditions.

After that...well, I would take it back to the shop and just give them the "whats going on here" and see what they say. Most manufacturers reccomend keeping the bike under a specific rpm for 500-1000 miles. I don't know about your bike. I will say if the engine is 'right' what you did should not have hurt it.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,617
Got Oil??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 214
Well, it may be your first bike but you already did a great job breaking it in (you did what I do to my new bikes/cars, always with good results: lots of pressure on the rings, both accelerating and decelerating). So don't worry about the break-in procedure.

Which bike? OHV, SOHC or DOHC engine? Sometimes they have very distinctive valve/cam sounds.

Did the shop tightened all the right bolts in the pre-delivery inspection?

Did you listened to a similar bike to see if "they all do that"?

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mamm screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 03:09 PM Reason: spelling
mamm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i had a brand new 06 yamaha xt225 that did the same thing and i broke it in easy. it had a noise that sounded like piston slap at lower rpms. i sold it with about 1,000 miles and it always made that noise but ran great.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Got Oil??
x2....check oil level.