User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,500
Chocolate milk, oil in coolant

alright so I had an issue with oil in the coolant on my CBR project. There was zero coolant in the oil. I removed the waterpump and it looked perfect with no coolant coming from the weep hole, shaft and seals perfect. So I reinstalled that and moved on to the oil cooler which sits in a bath of coolant on the front of the engine block.

The seals were bad, orings nasty, so they were all replaced with new OEM Honda parts.

Oh no Mr Bill

I also cleaned out the hoses and anything I could reach. When I was cleaning it, it seemed that brake cleaner was about the only stuff that would dissolve the chocolate milk.

I know there is more of this in the radiator and engine block. I plan to replace the rad for other reasons so I don't want to spend a bunch of time and energy to get it boiled. Will repeated flushings work? How about that Prestone rad flush?

I will probably just run straight tap water for the flushing process I see no reason to use coolant for a short couple hour ride to get everything nice and hot.

Any other advice?

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,372
Pressure test that oil cooler BEFORE re-using it, air, regulated to 15 PSI. Then you need a radiator flush chemical in there, from any auto parts store. The oil residue needs the emulsifier to be flushed out. Head gasket may also be faulty.

concours screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 06:19 AM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Well, pressure testing it ain't happening, it's already installed It looked perfect and there are many folks who have had this issue fixed by new seals.

Is the emulsifier in a regular rad flush going to take out the oil? I have a jug of it already but it didn't say anything about oil, more for rust and calcium deposit type stuff.

Nessmuk
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Well, pressure testing it ain't happening, it's already installed It looked perfect and there are many folks who have had this issue fixed by new seals.

Is the emulsifier in a regular rad flush going to take out the oil? I have a jug of it already but it didn't say anything about oil, more for rust and calcium deposit type stuff.
Disregard the above post, I forgot, this was an artists canvas with wheels, not an actual bike to be ridden
Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Disregard the above post, I forgot, this was an artists canvas with wheels, not an actual bike to be ridden
What are you talking about mang? I'm trying to ride it

Nessmuk
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Note the OP's location... Turning expensive metal into scrap.

Odds are the seals will do it but I would have checked with the cooler out.
Over the 40 years i did diesel over-haul those coolers failed at about 10% when water was in the oil.
90% of the time resealing did it.

Flush the crankcase. I'd run 25% diesel fuel in the oil around the block till the engine was hot, drain and then change again(along with filters) after 500 miles.

To flush the cooling system? Tri-sodium phosphate as per instructions.
I'd remove the t-stat when doing this but that's just me.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
boasjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Try a small amount of dawn dish detergent and water in them cooling system and run to temp.it
will break down the oil may have to do it a couple of times

boasjohn screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 09:20 AM
boasjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks guys will try the rad flush first, TSP and then Dawn just to be respectful in order

There is no coolant in the oil, already dropped the oil in there and it was clean. Replaced with new oil.

Nessmuk
Old 11-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Use cascade dishwasher soap, it wont foam all over, put that in there with water and run for awhile with the t-stat open so the whole system gets cleaned. Probaly will have to drain and fill a few times with soap till the water comes out pretty much clean then do a cycle of straight water to get the soap residue out and finally fill with coolant.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Just a bit of TSP and a bit of dish soap will do the trick (remove T-stat first) then flush flush and flush and flush a few more times, don't want to leave anything in the cooling system that does not like to be there.
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote