User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
One Begets another

I would agree with that statement. I traded my first rig, a CB900C and hitchhiker side car for this rig:

I've put about 4500 miles on it locally in the two years that I have had it. Great fun on the local gravel roads and such, but limited for extended travel speed wise. Thus the R1200GS rig in the making.....
But I will keep the KLR rig for tearing around locally and delivering parts.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,888
Almost back

As the year's about over I got out for a short test ride it was 12 degrees,I got my bike back 12/22 mounted the sidecar Christmas day (scrooge like bachelor) but then Strokers front wheel showed up and I had a small attack of ineptness but nothing a good nights sleep couldn't fix.
So bike has new topend with fresh cylinders and 11/1 BMW road bike pistons, a new heavy duty clutch plate and a 33/11 final drive,ABSi removed and one of Strokers excellent front wheels as near as I can tell it was all worth it great low end grunt the increased compression helped,since its a GSA it had a lower first gear so the 33/11 feels deep enough, and the braking thru Strokers wheel is way superior when there's traction.
I got a few more things to tweak and I need a little warmer weather -10 is tonights forecast.Happy New Year DB

Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,558

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Is that your teeth chattering Claude ? Happy New Year ! I'm gonna hold out for some 20+ degrees and then go on an adventure, I got a hatch in the tonneau for Justin and a 12v blanket with power in the dash/glove box we'll try and visit a few of our haunts.DB
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Congrats!

What tire did you decide on for up front?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Congrats!

What tire did you decide on for up front?
Hi Ned
Due to the size constraints I grabbed a NanKang which seems better than one would think, it's round and balanced up easily and on my short test ride was great and braked really well, I'm thinking of calling Canadian Tire as they advertise allot of the right sizes. I checked local tire dealers and most midwest tire distributors are out of the sizes we would like,I impulsively have a Continental ice tire coming for a pusher.But I see these on a Canadian Tire site and I think a 145 would fit in the front Continental ContiWinterContact TS760 how to obtain them is the deal I'm 350 miles from Canada and need to update my passport on the other hand winter in MN winter is a questionable thing sometimes its ugly sometimes its not. high of 14 today !!!! DB
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

So the Stroker wheel is 15"?

Looked up some pics of that tire and couldn't find any of the 145 but in the wider sizes (175 and up) it looks pretty square with decent round shoulders. If the Nankang is really round, it will be interesting to hear how the handling changes when you slap on that Conti. Take some side-by-side pics will ya of the two tires when you do the change so we can see the differences.

Out West here, 350 miles is a light and easy one-day ride. That trip to Canadian Tire sounds like a nice weekend excursion and a good excuse to get out of the house. But me, anyways, I'd wait until Spring.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

The Adv continues

I heard from Canadian Tire they will not ship tires outside of Canada. I mounted a Continental ContiWInterContact 175/65/15
about 3/4" smaller than the Nankang 165/80/15 its an ice and snow tire, not an all season perhaps a little to compromised but well see, if we get some temps in the 20's.Tempted to grab a 145/65/15 Blizzak or Dunlop Graspic DS3 for the front.DB

Handy tire size calculator http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 167
tire size and tread options

Dave, looks like your having some chilly fun with your front wheel newly assembled motor. The tread options on these smaller sized 15" tires is somewhat limited. The Firestone offering has more of a block tread than the ribbed tread Nankang, which as you said is not that bad considering how passive the tread design is. I have gotten great service from my Nankang after changing from an old 145R15 Michelin XZX, which was hard as a rock. Because of the lower fender lugs cast into the 1100 lower fork legs, there is more of a clearance issue than with the 1150's forks. If you don't mind loosing an additional 1/2" of ground clearance, the 145/65R15 may be a good choice, as this is the size of the SmartCar tire and there are more options. The Pirelli Snowtroller is available in 145/65R15 and has a good looking tread design. We are finishing up a few more front wheels including two for the1200 model...at last! I will be posting a few photos soon including some of the 5 1/2" wide rear wheel for Oilheads that takes a 195/65R15 tire. That IS one handy tire size calculator link!

Stroker screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:30 PM
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #40
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #41
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Claude
I knew you where going to say that ! I've been thinking about asking you about it.DB
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #42
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Claude
I knew you where going to say that ! I've been thinking about asking you about it.DB
I didn't say anything .....lol.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Claude, I'm not sure I understand your earlier post. Are you talking about taking a car tire front wheel and making it more forgiving by rounding off the shoulders? That would be a lot of work I think. Or do you have something more obscure (to me) in mind?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Claude, I'm not sure I understand your earlier post. Are you talking about taking a car tire front wheel and making it more forgiving by rounding off the shoulders? That would be a lot of work I think. Or do you have something more obscure (to me) in mind?
Drone
He raced sprint cars they often made or modified their own tires for the dirt starting off with they're favorite tire and adding deeper grooves and more blocks, I had thought about cutting some grooves through the Nankangs and hopefully creating a better steer tire but groover cost more than ice & snow blizzaks or the 145/65 Firestone version.
The Conti wintercontact works great on the hard packed ice and snow we get on the secondary roads here in the mid west.

On a couple other notes the 33/11 is probably pretty close to the right gear only because I wouldn't want 6th any lower 4200 rpm at 65 and 5000 at 75.
Claude
You'll be pleased to know that my setup is back to the way I picked it up according to marks on things, bought a Bosch laser level and toe checking is very easy between a piece of cardboard and my insulated garage door.
It was chilly at 28 or 30 today.

Justin says Hello Crystal look what the old fools doing to me now !
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #45
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
So Dave, I'm DRIVing up to the IMS gathering next weekend but I'm more than willing to save you and Justin a parking spot for the rig
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote