User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
Is a tw200 for bigger guys?

Im seriously thinking about trading in my harley for a tw200 just so i can be done with it, but im 6ft and 280...so i wonder....

im going to be doing mostly doing mostly commuting with the occasional 100+ mile trip on the interstate. not to mention the offroading...so yeah.

ideas? id rather have a dr650, but cant get out from under the harley and the TW may be the ticket.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 168
I bought my wife's TW from a big man, maybe bigger than you. He used it for commuting a few miles each day and really enjoyed it. He had originally wanted a scooter but had been steered towards TW's because he overwhelmed a scooter. That said, it was obvious he wasn't really into bikes, he just wanted a cheap commuter vehicle.

I think that if you really want to do 100 mile days, play a little off-road etc.... you'd be better served by that DR650. The TW fits my wife perfectly. She's 5'5", 130lbs.
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Rev OP
Asshole

damn, thanks. yeah, i really want a DR but no one will let me make payments and credit (from being 18 and getting jewelry accounts for the GF of the week...) is keeping me from it...

Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddly, used TW's command a hefty price. It's hard to find one really cheap. DR650's (like TW's) have been made forever, but their prices are all over the place. It's not hard to find a really nice, accessorized used DR for $3-4K, sometimes less. Here's the link to a friend of mine whom I believe is selling his 1996 DR650 for around $2800. I'd buy it if I didn't already have 3 other thumpers. http://home.earthlink.net/~1919a4/
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Rev OP
Asshole

the TW im looking at is newer and is around 2500, dr's usually fetch 4kish

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Yeah, keep looking though....deals are out there. Don't be afraid to go for an older DR-they aren't a lot different than the new ones.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Im seriously thinking about trading in my harley for a tw200 just so i can be done with it, but im 6ft and 280...so i wonder....

im going to be doing mostly doing mostly commuting with the occasional 100+ mile trip on the interstate. not to mention the offroading...so yeah.

ideas? id rather have a dr650, but cant get out from under the harley and the TW may be the ticket.
Interstate????....it's DOABLE,but, with all light bikes you'll probably get blown around by the wind. If your talking about state routes,etc. it'll be fine. Tw can cruise all day at 50-55 mph..Weight wise,your fine,TW is geared well.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,568
The TW is not an interstate bike, but will do it for short periods. They're actually an alarmingly competent trail bike, but are not set up from the factory for bigger guys. Stiffer springs on the shock and the forks would be pretty much a necessity for a fellow of your size.

They are a hoot to ride, however, as they are mild-mannered with relaxed ergos. In the rough stuff, they can kick the butt of larger machines.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
With one tooth up on the front sprocket, a tw200 will do 70 mph indicated. Screaming.

Great bike to go through sand and mud holes, up hills, and places you would not take another bike.
On the street, I thought it was not the best.

Prices are all over the place, but I got a tw200 for $900.00 with 250 miles on it.
I also got a dr650 with 5000 miles on it and upgrades for $1500.00.
The dr650 was quicker, much more comfortable, and better handling then my 1200 sportster.
You want fun, put a pumper carb on a dr650, it turns into a wheelie monster.
No way I would buy another sportster, but would love a dr650 on the street.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
My buddy had one, he was 320ish. But he was only about 5' 6" or so. Basically only dual sport he felt comfortable on and could basically flat foot. We rode the "highway" but never the interstate. We have a lot of rural 4 lanes in the part of the world much of which the speed limit is 55 and 60 with little traffic. It's fine there. But 100 miles on sure enough super highway interstate, it's just not the bike for that. Plus if you are a big dude you don't want to go messing with the sprockets and changing ratio's, yeah you might get to 70 mph, but that first big hill and you will be lucky to maintain 50 mph. Even unmodified on long hillls expect a slow down. $2,500 will buy alot of bike. DR's and KLR's can be had for that especially this time of year. Not knocking the smaller cc bikes, a ton can be done with them. But if super slab in that quantity is on your menu, more CC's will be your friend.

And stop financing sparklies for the ladies, if they aren't happy with Netflix and a tv dinner, maybe a motorcycle picnic with peanut butter and bannana samiches, kick them to the curb.....I ain't joking. The best ones don't want you to buy them anything.

Holy old thread Batman!
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 139
I had a TW for a few years and it was so easy to ride and fun offroad, but even with a gearing change it was absolutely screaming on the highway. I kept thinking what an awsome bike this would be with an XT350 engine and six speed tranny. I think you should look at the XT225 for about the same price.
Jimo368 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
the wife and I rode ours two up on local DS rides I'm 6-3 230-ish and She's 5' 120-ish and we rode all over town and in the woods. Great
fun!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
I've seen decent-shape '96-present DR650SEs offered for $1K in the Carolinas this time of year. It's a WAY better interstate bike than most thumpers, especially a 200cc thumper that's under 300lb. You should be able to find something nice for $2500.

First thing is to stop buying stuff for women. They aren't having your kids, raising your kids, or making a solemn vow to stick with you til death or anything. Have some self-respect, self-esteem, and self-confidence. THESE kinds of things attract women, and they will constantly test you to see if you have it, whether they do it consciously or not. Be the flame, and not the moth. Be hard to get. Be choosy. Don't let them easily manipulate you. Make them work for it. Make them prove that they're worthy. Few women truly are anymore. Women have their own money these days too, or the opportunities to make their own money like you do. Spoiling them too easily makes them take you for granted and makes you look needy. Neediness is not generally attractive to a woman. It's attractive to a PREDATOR. I have yet to meet a perfect woman. I have yet to meet a perfect ANYBODY, for that matter, so let the women chase you for a change.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote