Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I think the conversation was about light or dark coloured jackets - not vests that you soak in water for 2 minutes prior to use. Your initial statement that black jackets are just as cool as light jackets due to 'evaporative cooling' has zero to do with this 'cooling vest' which is something completely different. You could simulate the effect with a conventional jacket by liberally spraying yourself with water, but once this water has evaporated you are back to your plain old jacket.

You can ameliorate the heat of a dark jacket with good venting enabling you to purge some of the heat trapped inside jacket (regardless of the humidity) but you are still fighting the heat absorption by the dark outer shell. For hot climates a light coloured well vented jacket is much cooler, for cold climates a black, well buttoned up jacket is better. For hot and humid climates ventilation is still effective (better than non-vented) but you will feel uncomfortable because of the humidity.

syzygy9 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:47 PM Reason: clarity
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #32
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I think the conversation was about light or dark coloured jackets - not vests that you soak in water for 2 minutes prior to use. Your initial statement that black jackets are just as cool as light jackets due to 'evaporative cooling' has zero to do with this 'cooling vest' which is something completely different. You could simulate the effect with a conventional jacket by liberally spraying yourself with water, but once this water has evaporated you are back to your plain old jacket.

You can ameliorate the heat of a dark jacket with good venting enabling you to purge some of the heat trapped inside jacket (regardless of the humidity) but you are still fighting the heat absorption by the dark outer shell. For hot climates a light coloured well vented jacket is much cooler, for cold climates a black, well buttoned up jacket is better. For hot and humid climates ventilation is still effective (better than non-vented) but you will feel uncomfortable because of the humidity.
Yes. If you are sitting still in traffic with a black jacket on, it's going to be hotter. I've never argued that point.

Again, my point is that at speed, not sitting still, convection plays a much larger role. The air moving across the surface of that jacket (and through it if you're considering venting) will render the heat difference of the color of that jacket virtually insignificant. Buy whatever jacket you like and can get the best deal on. Pay more attention to what you wear under your jacket.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
The comment that I can add: I saw in a Klim store the adventure pants in black and in gray. I ordered mine in gray and the clerk there fully agreed with the choice - seeing the black ones up close was quite convincing the color is not looking well. For jackets it's a bit different, I have 2 winter jackets that are black (the Dainese one has a bit of blue on the arms), for spring-autumn I will probably get a gray Klim jacket and use the older white-red Spidi jacket.

For high temperatures I would not recommend any adventure jacket, but an enduro armor. I have an EVS Ballistic Jersey that I use at 40+ Celsius and it gets quite hot when I stop. No idea if the desert in Jordan and Israel (Middle East) are similar with Arizona, but I used to live there for a while and it is very hot and very dry, so my opinion stands: no jacket. Too bad I don't have something similar for pants - just protections and mesh, nothing else.
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Yes. If you are sitting still in traffic with a black jacket on, it's going to be hotter. I've never argued that point.

Again, my point is that at speed, not sitting still, convection plays a much larger role. The air moving across the surface of that jacket (and through it if you're considering venting) will render the heat difference of the color of that jacket virtually insignificant..
I think so too.

I would not want to wear a jacket for really dirt riding but on most of the roads I ride my Mesh jacket seems nearly as cool as riding in a tee shirt. The jacket is heavy but I dont notice that while riding roads. The jacket offers some protection in a fall, has a lot of pockets, and keeps the bugs off of me. Its a good thing.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
I've never been riding and not had to stop; whether for gas, stoplights, traffic, food, poo, or whatever. Black, aside from being the same color as asphalt (hence the name, "Run-Me-Over-Black"), is hotter than any other color clothing you can wear, venting and evaporative cooling be damned. Yes, the heat gain is mitigated when you're moving, but you'll still be hotter in black, especially your arms and thighs.

Long-time Harley rider here, and I've ridden my share of miles in all-black gear. This past year wearing an R3 suit in 112 degree heat taught me all I need to know about the color of my riding clothes. I would have cooked in a black suit, I rode reasonably comfortably in my gray suit.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
On my two piece Roadcrafter I have Black Pants and a Grey Jacket. Black pants is better for not showing dirt and the grey seems to work well in most situations heat-wise. (Last year in Death Valey with temperatures over 120F it was hot. Ice in the pockets took care of that.)

Hi-viz can be useful, but those that really want to avoid crashes with cars should take a look at the links in my signature.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #37
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
wondering what color would be better? Black seems to be the standard but I imagine it would be warm during the summer months. Grey seems cooler but easier to stain?
For me its a "no brainer"... Grey! I learned the hard way...Black just gets too hot In Southern Ca,.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #38
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 910
I gotta say, I find it all kinds of funny that people on an adventure motorcycle forum are talking about choosing riding gear based on how much it shows dirt.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 200
I have Klim Badlands Jacket and Pants in 'grey' but they are still mostly black. I've also got a pair of Klim Dakar pants in light grey but they look more like silver.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote