User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
erik Fl OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Albania-Georgia-Mongolia 2013 - advice needed

Busy with preparing my next-year-trip and thought it would be interesting to drop a line here :-)

Next year around middle of may, I leave home (Belgium) for a biketrip to Mongolia.
I'm not going straight...first will head to Montenegro and Albania...from there to Georgia...and than finding a good road or other possibilty to go till Mongolia. From Mongolia it will be a trip through Russia back home...hoping to be back around end of august.

One specific part wich is still not clear for me is the connection from Georgia till Mongolia.
I will drive till Volgograd (want to spend some days there to see the historical war-stuff)...but the 4.000km from there till Novosibirsk seems to me not so interesting..."eating" kilometers on a busy road with not much interesting things or places around (this is as far as my information goes ofcourse !)...from Novosibirsk till Mongolian border will be great again through the Altay-mountains.

Does anybody has a proposition or idea how to make those thousands of kilometers between V'grad and N'birsk in a more interesting way ?
I thought already about taking a road through Kazachstan, but with a heavy loaded (2 pers and bagage) and not specific enduro-bike (TDM850)...and my enduro-skills are only basic...I dont know if this is a good idea.
Another idea was to get everything on a train and avoiding this way "to eat" all those kilometers, but I dont have enough information about the possibilities on Russian trains.
So, if somebody could help me with information, advices or propositions...always very wellcome hé !! :-)

Btw, if somebody is heading the same direction in the same period and wants to meet up or driving a part together, just let me know hé !

Cheers, Erik
erik Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 653
This is the same answer I have given to the other Mongolia question, don't forget it is ramadan starting mid July which can add difficulties to travel in muslim countries.

You will find some information here, check the Northern Asia section.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

This is also a useful resource.

http://www.caravanistan.com/

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
erik Fl OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks Mark...interesting links, will have a close look :-)
erik Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
You should look at Colebatch's stickied thread in the Ride Reports section, he covers some of the same ground, generally off payement. But whichever way you go, I think you'll have to resign yourself to several days of rather boring terrain/riding.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
If you're concerned about riding Kazakhstan's roads 2-up/fully loaded, you should be very concerned about riding in Mongolia. At least in Kazakhstan, the roads are paved...with tons of potholes, but paved.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
klausmong1
klausmong1

Oddometer: 1
I am going to mongolia too.

i will start myTrip at the end of june in Vienna and my plan at the Moment is to take the route over Romania ( or Ukraine) , Moldavia, Kazakhstan, and a short Russia Trip into Mongolia.

Retour over Baikal and Russia.

But i can change plans and go other directions, but it will be Mongolia
klausmong1 is offline   Reply With Quote