Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Any more input on this topic guys.
. . .

How about the tracklogs? they both look like they are 10,000 points. Are they devices equal here?
You miss interpret the Track point limit. The Montana can have up to 200 Tracks in the Track Manager. Each of those Tracks can be up to 10,000 pts. You can show any/all of them on the map at the same time. You can also move any/all of the Tracks in the Track Manager into Archive, thereby freeing space in the Track Manager for more Tracks. You can move Track from the Archive back into the Track Manager as you wish as long as you have fewer than 200.

All that is to say the old 478/376/276 can't hold a candle to the Montana when it comes to user data - or much else for that matter.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,235
Dan, I have both units. I like the 276 for somethings and the Montana for others. Just because you have moved on doesn't mean the 276 isn't useful.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Please don't take my Montana-exuberance over other units to serious. I do still support the GPSMAP x7x units used by some of our customers.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,235
Dan I probably came off wrong when I wrote that. I feel the 276 is still viable, however, as I learn more about the Montana I have the more I trust it. No worries.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
I've been vacillating some over the Montana vs my 376C. Does the Montana do auto routing when on bike? I'd miss my XM channels, though.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #21
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
I've been vacillating some over the Montana vs my 376C. Does the Montana do auto routing when on bike? I'd miss my XM channels, though.
As long as you load auto-routing maps, the Montana will auto-route.

And you'd be able to listen to XM through a phone or dedicated device.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And you'd be able to listen to XM through a phone or dedicated device.
Yeah, that's what I did before and had an XM Roady receiver and used a little Garmin Etrex on my F650. The great thing about the 376C is that the XM is a part of the GPS, so I only have the one device on my bars. I'm real attached to the 376C, have the Touratech locking holder, hard wired in... you know, perfect. Love the variety of XM on a long road trip, not a fan of the short battery life of smart phones or iPods, though I could wire a feed into the tank bag I suppose and bluetooth the sounds to some earphones.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I did before and had an XM Roady receiver and used a little Garmin Etrex on my F650. The great thing about the 376C is that the XM is a part of the GPS, so I only have the one device on my bars. I'm real attached to the 376C, have the Touratech locking holder, hard wired in... you know, perfect. Love the variety of XM on a long road trip, not a fan of the short battery life of smart phones or iPods, though I could wire a feed into the tank bag I suppose and bluetooth the sounds to some earphones.
I can understand the reluctance to get away from something you have so much invested in...

But as far as having just one device on the bars, I prefer to spread things out a little so if something dies or gets stolen, then not everything I enjoy or depend on goes with it.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Well, technically you have two devices with that big ole hockey puck receiver connected to your 376.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,265
Why the Montana over the Zumo 660/665?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #26
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgulledge View Post
Why the Montana over the Zumo 660/665?
The Montana is much more versatile. That may be why BMW chose it as their gps of choice for the BMW GS Trophy Challenge.

"Another new partner is Garmin, which is providing a world premiere for the GS Trophy: the brand new BMW Motorrad Adventure navigation system, which is based on the Garmin Montana. We are using the very first units of the Adventure. It will be available next year."

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 04:50 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
Wyodrill
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 33
Montana vs Zumo 665

I was advised by the "X sperts" the Montana would better fit my riding. I hooked the Montana up on my bike and rode home 1500 miles mad at that "Xspert". I expected a zumo type machine just tougher. I ride lots of off the beaten path, dirt tracks and definitely not interstate. It does that quite well. Montana accepts my old topo maps for back woods navigation and lets me switch views from street maps to topo easily. Its not a Zumo but it will navigate like one. It dosent talk to you, play XM or link to your phone. But then the reason I ride the back roads is to enjoy being off the net. Bought the Montana and tried it. Know what? They were right and I like the Montana better. It still don't talk, answer the phone or play music via blue tooth but I enjoy the solitude of the ride much more. I put the Zumo in my pickup truck.
Wyodrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
So the Montana's don't do "voice" turn by turn directions? If so I'm out.. That is a feature that I really like... I still ride alot of slab..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
So the Montana's don't do "voice" turn by turn directions? If so I'm out.. That is a feature that I really like... I still ride alot of slab..
The Montana does have voice directions with the right maps and the right mount. If you use the Rugged Mount as most people do, it has an audio cable out which you can plug into your headset of choice. It doesn't have Bluetooth for wireless communication, but the audio output can be hooked up to a BT dongle if you must have that.