Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #31
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,654
I never found a real solution to this problem - not for lack of trying. So for those short, time sensitive, trips I use a car/public transport and so on.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #32
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
I wear the same kit as you, including leg armor.

Takes about 1 minute to put on leg armor, step in to over pants, and secure...put on jacket and secure. Up to another minute to do the helmet and gloves...if I choose to pop my ear buds in for the ride.

I sold all my 4 wheel vehicles except one for the wife, which also hauls stuff to the dump or large objects home...so I ride year round except on icy days. Same kit, most days except liners added to clothing which add no time when permanently installed for the season. For winter rides of longer duration, I will add long johns and such which adds to the overall suit up time.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #33
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,040
For shorter trips around town I have BMW City pants with integrated hip and knee pads, and a leather or textile jacket that also has integrated pads. Add gloves, helmet and boots and it's good. I'd guess the whole change takes less than five minutes if I move slowly, which is about the same as it takes me to change into my bicycling clothes.

This solution is obviously not a full armor solution, but it is fast.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #34
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
For shorter trips around town I have BMW City pants with integrated hip and knee pads, and a leather or textile jacket that also has integrated pads.
Showing my lack of US-awareness here, but don't all textile getups have the armor sewn in? Both of my suits (Gericke) have the armor in pockets so I can take it out for washing.

I feel weird if I am not geared up. Jacket, pants, boots, gloves, FF helmet. The biggest trick to pants is to tuck your dress pants into your socks, then put your overpants on. Quick and easy and no fooling around with lost pantlegs.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #35
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Showing my lack of US-awareness here, but don't all textile getups have the armor sewn in?
No. Some have pockets for the armor. Some just have the pockets and no armor. You have to add your own. For offroad riding, I'll often use strap-on knee/shin armor instead of the armor in my pants.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer: 106
I was inspired by an Englishman. Here is how I get dressed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk6zbY8i4_8&t=1m4s

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote