Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
nicola_a OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Adv-Spec Magadan Panniers

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new here. I only own a street bike right now - Honda VTR250 - which I am keeping for road trips around Australia, and then I intend on getting a TTR250 or similar overseas next year and using that as my overseas 'touring' bike.

I've been doing tons of research into luggage trying to find out what is the best compromise. I have decided that I like the Adv-Spec Magadans which I'm sure you're all familiar with. They suit my needs the best. I'd like a set of soft panniers, then the ability to strap a medium size backpack (for hiking) and my sleeping bag to the pillion seat.

I'm looking for something that I can use on both my VTR250 and my eventual 'touring' bike with just a bit of tweaking of a basic rack. Here is a pic of a VTR250 with the Ventura rack on it that I was thinking of getting.

The rack isn't much, but it's hard to get a rack for the VTR so I think I can probably make do. But I'm concerned about the exhaust position in relation to the Magadans. I've seen pics of the Magadans on a number of bikes and sometimes it seems quite low and sometimes it sits higher.

I don't know how to page Walter Colebatch on ADVRider but hopefully he'll see this thread, but is there anyone else out there who has these panniers who can say that the exhaust problem is indeed a PROBLEM, or could it work?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice.

Nicola
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
A bump on this thread for Nicola....I too am curious about this.

Dan
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
nicola_a OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thanks kk3an.

On another forum I got some advice, mostly involving strapping everything directly to the tail, in addition to a large tank bag. I'm going to see if I can fit everything.

I also saw these panniers that are cut especially for annoying exhausts, but probably still won't go on my bike as it has no rear fairings. And although they aren't the Magadans that I want, they might suit road riding in dry Australia --- may just have to buy both. Working on it!
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
kk3an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I reckon it's just you and me here Nicola :)

Honestly I'm going to spring for the Magadan panniers for my R12GSA. Appears they are out of stock in EU until the end of the month. I take it as a good sign when a manufacturer is out of stock on something like this.

Aside from getting some custom side racks fitted for your VTR250, it could be a challenge on your bike, based on the photo.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola_a View Post
Thanks kk3an.

On another forum I got some advice, mostly involving strapping everything directly to the tail, in addition to a large tank bag. I'm going to see if I can fit everything.

I also saw these panniers that are cut especially for annoying exhausts, but probably still won't go on my bike as it has no rear fairings. And although they aren't the Magadans that I want, they might suit road riding in dry Australia --- may just have to buy both. Working on it!
kk3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Go to inmates at the top of the page, search for Colebatch. Alternatively, just go to one of his threads. Then right click on his name and send him a message. If he is not somewhere in Siberia, he'll get back to you.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
You can check out Colebatch's ride report stickied in the Ride Reports section, and then send him a pm.

And I don't have the Magadan bags but I'd hazard a guess that that exhaust could be a problem. The problem with your rack is that it will force you to pack everything really high on the back of the bike, which is not a good place for it.