Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #241
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
MOD BMW Top Rack/ Caribou QFS install pt2.

Part 2 showing the inside and the bottom of the top box:

Inside the case...

Bottom of the case...

Based on where I needed to put the mounts, I had to trim the feet off my case.

Thanks again Westy99!!

Dave
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #242
toowheels OP
on a mission...

TimTX's

KISS Pelican install on MOD

No question the Caribou system is awesome, but I thought I'd show my install to show A) how the MOD rack KISS worked, and B) how a Pelican 1500 case fits on the MOD rack. I do think the 1500 is a little too large: as you can see, it's a little hard to get to the tie-downs (I can fit a ROK strap in there, but it's not ideal). I do think a 1450 or smaller might be a better size.

Anyway, here's the photos. As you can see, the 1500 takes up the entire rack:

I simply attached it via the two square holes on the MOD rack, meant for carriage bolts. For the price of two 1/4" x 1" long carriage bolts, two big washers, and two wing nuts, I mounted the case and it seems VERY solid.

It also seems pretty tamper proof: to remove the case you have to get inside (I can lock it), and nothing shows on the bottom but a rounded bolt head:

Thanks for posting that TimTX!

Later in the thread I (and others) mentioned that you can get plastic thumb screws which will be easier to use.

Also from the same thread as above:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18540183

Dave
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #243
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD KTM Top Rack review on OWD

It's not the MOD BMW F8/F7/F650 GS Top Rack but most of the features are the same so I though I'd post it here too:

www.OneWheelDrive.net
just posted a review on the MOD KTM Top Rack!

I quote:

"The standard top rack that comes on the back of your KTM 950/990 Adventure or Super Enduro may fit with the look of the bike, but it’s not overly useful. Face it, there’s a battle to be fought even attaching KTM’s own tail bag to the thing, which is where the Moto Overland Top Rack comes in.
Beyond accommodating said tailbag, the rack offers multiple Rotopax or Kolpin’s Fuel Pack Jr. mounting configurations for extra fuel, well placed strap slots for a variety of tail bags and tie-downs. For those who prefer hard luggage there are mounting points for Givi/Kappa, SW-Motech Trax, SW-Motech Top Rack Pelican Adapter, Caribou’s QFS DIY system and KISS – and the MotoOverland Top Rack looks a heck of a lot better than those companies’ native offerings. Combined with an easy install and bullet proof 4.75 mm thick aluminum CNC construction and you’ve got a quality Canadian made product.
There’s a couple stand out elements to the MOD Top Rack that are of special note. First off the plate maintains good clearance, making seat removal easy – though the KTM bag itself does infringe with this and requires some delicate pushing. All of the edges, including slits for straps, are machined nice and smooth to reduce wear. The thick black powder coat is textured which maximizes grip and over 20,000kms of testing has offered exceptional durability. Indeed, in a recent crash that totaled one of the KTM 990s, the MOD Top Rack only conceded a small scrape through the powder coat, and didn’t bend at all. Finally the mounting of the rack is flawless, including the nice flat top surface thanks to countersunk fittings.
All and all, we’re damned pleased with the versatility and quality of the MotoOverland Top Rack and consider it essential equipment for your LC8 KTM."

Check out the review and pics here: http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/07...land-top-rack/

Thanks OWD and glad to hear you liked it!!

Dave
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #244
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
I heard mention of a new design on the front mounting bracket...

Any pictures???

Ryan
Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #245
easy_rider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Anyone running a GIVI Monokey box with the MOD rack and Jesse luggage? If so, can you post some pics??
Do they make contact when the lids are opened?
(For an F800 GS)
easy_rider_77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #246
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
I heard mention of a new design on the front mounting bracket...

Any pictures???

Ryan
Hey Ryan!

It's not a new bracket but rather an evolution on the existing one...

We've still running the CNC'd alloy bracket, but we've been wanting to add rubber damping to it for a while now in a way that wouldn't compromise it's strength (or more accurately make BMW's four breakaway mounts underneath the oil pan more likely to break) while still providing a bit of vibration/resonance damping and also help to mitigate impacts a bit. The specific durometer we're using is working very well!!

This is what it looks like all together:

I think it's a very subtle difference in the sound dept., but I do think it's helping with impacts. It's been a tough year for my skid plate so far!! Lot's of rocks bouncing off of it.
That part does sound a bit less "clangy" too.

The beauty is that the "rubber strip" can be fit on the existing brackets out there since we don't want to leave all the current owners out of the improvements.

Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #247
toowheels OP
on a mission...

We're working on another run of V2 skid plates now and I though I'd mention a few new details:

BTW all of our V2 skid plates (past and present) will fit the 2013 F800 & F700 GSs.

We started putting two small vents on the bottom to help with drawing air in from underneath when the bike is going very slowly (read: technical riding). More air to the engine is always a good thing! They are positioned strategically in a supported area so they won't compromise the strength of the bottom. This was a design update that was already implemented on the the previous run.

We have also been getting some great feedback form some particularly "abusive" riders and we will have some improvements to the front bracket to make it, and the whole system even stronger. The great news here is that of course it will fit older generation skid plates too.

The Tool Box will of course also fit all generations of skid plates including the new ones:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=750749&page=7

More news and pics as I have it...they are expected to be available in the beginning of November.

Dave
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #248
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Some pics of what the NEW V3 skid plate looks like now with the added vents underneath:

As mentioned above we put them there just so some air can be drawn up from underneath in very slow technical riding. They are in a spot that is well supported by the mounting inserts. We wanted to add them without compromising the strength underneath.

from the outside up close:

from the inside up close:

notice our skid plates are welded inside and out!

and the up close shot of our CNC machined mounting inserts:

There are a few reasons we use them because they are far more $$ than the alternatives.
1. They fully support the material around them making that area stronger than just having a hole cut through it.
2. They also make the entire unit stronger as it's fully supported all 'round.
3. We can run a longer weld, strengthening the attachment points.
4. The depth is accurate so we can have our skid plate have the most ground clearance possible, still completely protect the hardware and have a smooth sliding surface to get over something if need be.

Next up will be some details and pics of the new CNC machined front bracket...

Thanks for checking it out!

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 06:49 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #249
toowheels OP
on a mission...

2013 MOD F800 GS / F700 GS / F650 GS V3 Skid Plate

Teamed up with the new venting shown above we have a new bracket and with these changes we've decided to call it the V3!
New for 2013 it fits all years of F800 GS/ F700 GS and F650 GS twins!!

Here's the new bracket in the foreground compared to the previous one:

It's significantly stronger and also has other improvements :

-1.5x the surface area of the previous one to give excellent resistance from the skid plate moving any direction. It's both taller and wider.

-The front face is obviously very thick and the big reason for that is we have maximized the thread depth to 12mm. The threads are also rolled and not cut so they are stronger. Since the bracket is CNC'd alu it's still only 93g (3.3 oz).

-The front hardware has been bumped up to M8 from the previous M6. The 5mm allen head is also more user friendly because it's less likely to strip out and it's also a much stronger interface that you can apply more torque to. The M8 bolts are fit perfectly through the skid plate holes and with the increased torque will offer an attachment that will reduce the likely hood of any movement of the skid plate.

-The attachment arms are taller and even a little shorter that the previous version for max strength

-It works with all previous versions of our skid plates without any modifications to the skid plate
We always keep existing owners in mind!

A few more pics:

We are going to offer a special promo deal for existing customers that would like to upgrade to the new bracket as well. More on that in a bit!

On that note V3 skid plates are going to start shipping this week. Thanks to everyone for your patience and we have a bit of a back log but don't worry we are working on getting them out!

Thanks very much!

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 09:33 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #250
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Special ADVrider deal on the V3 bracket!

As mentioned we are going to offer a special deal for those that would like to upgrade to the new V3 bracket

Here's the new bracket in the foreground compared to the previous one:

It's significantly stronger and also has other improvements :

-1.5x the surface area of the previous one to give excellent resistance from the skid plate moving any direction. It's both taller and wider.

-The front face is obviously very thick and the big reason for that is we have maximized the thread depth to 12mm. The threads are also rolled and not cut so they are stronger. Since the bracket is CNC'd alu it's still only 93g (3.3 oz).

-The front hardware has been bumped up to M8 from the previous M6. The 5mm allen head is also more user friendly because it's less likely to strip out and it's also a much stronger interface that you can apply more torque to. The M8 bolts are fit perfectly through the skid plate holes and with the increased torque will offer an attachment that will reduce the likely hood of any movement of the skid plate.

-The attachment arms are taller and even a little shorter that the previous version for max strength

-It works with all previous versions of our skid plates without any modifications to the skid plate
We always keep existing owners in mind!

A few more pics:

It's a very solid improvement for those that want the utmost protection!

They are selling for $29.99 CAD complete and ready to bolt on and we are offering them at that price with free ground shipping to anywhere in the US. If you are elsewhere, no problem! We''ll credit the shipping charge towards your total.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

dave(at)motooverland(dot)com

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #251
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Dave, I'm sold on your product. But I won't be getting my bike until sometime over the winter so I can order the skid plate now, or wait a few months as you roll out your incremental improvements. I'd hate to buy today only to find you've somehow improved the plate before I even put my bike on the road (March 15th is when our snow tire law ends and our season starts - as long as there isn't snow/ice on the roads). I'm also going to get your side stand foot enlarger.

Also, I'd been pretty sure I was going with the Touratech top luggage rack (the larger of the two) and Zega Pro (anodized black) panniers. I hadn't really looked at your top plate... Are you able to objectively compare the two? :)

Cheers!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #252
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Dave, I'm sold on your product. But I won't be getting my bike until sometime over the winter so I can order the skid plate now, or wait a few months as you roll out your incremental improvements. I'd hate to buy today only to find you've somehow improved the plate before I even put my bike on the road (March 15th is when our snow tire law ends and our season starts - as long as there isn't snow/ice on the roads). I'm also going to get your side stand foot enlarger.

Also, I'd been pretty sure I was going with the Touratech top luggage rack (the larger of the two) and Zega Pro (anodized black) panniers. I hadn't really looked at your top plate... Are you able to objectively compare the two? :)

Cheers!
Thanks Mtl_Biker!

Glad to hear you like what you see. There are no other changes pending on the skid plates. We're extremely happy with how they are working (all around the world)!!

As for the top racks yes I can give you some objective comparisons...

The Touratech rack is a great rack to put a soft bag on. I've also seen people mount Rotopax mounts to it to carry extra fuel by using some extra metal plates and making it work.

That's where our design came in. We decided to make a top rack that gave the rider as many direct mount options as possible! Ours was the first top rack (that I'm aware of, world wide, in production) that gave the rider the ability to bolt on:

-Rotopax fuel packs direct mount (three configurations then -four now)
-Kolpin Jr fuel packs direct mount
-Givi/ Kappa Monokey direct mount
We also put on our own KISS carriage bolt system for mounting a Pelican small type box simply and securely

The next idea we incorporated (again no one else had done this) was to have the option to slide the top rack forward or backward depending on whether you are riding solo or two up. It never made sense to me to have the rack way back there and nothing in between, when you were solo. It's only 2" but it helps to centralize the weight more. We also key-holed the slots so you can remove and replace the top rack easier without having to remove the bolts (and spacers) all the way. This was actually suggested by an inmate (Motoriley ) and it was a great idea!

The flat deck gives lots of options, there are plenty of slots for soft bags, the size is big enough to give great support without being too big and in the way and the shape blends well with the bike. Some of the slots are also optimized for Giant Loop's Great Basin Saddlebag to give lots of mounting options.

We also fully CNC machine them so there are NO SHARP EDGES anywhere!

Rotopax and Monokey mounting (and even adjustable positioning) have been copied by others now. Which makes sense since they were such good ideas!

We then added;
-SW-Motech Trax and Steel Top Rack adapter (for Pelicans) direct mounting
-Caribou QFS direct mounting
to give even more options.

We also offer specific kits for side racks that require them: Happy Trail, Jesse, Caribou/Hepco & Becker, Wolfman/Backroads Moto for true "plug and play".

That in essence is the idea behind our top rack: to give as many easy options to the rider as possible. We changed top racks from being a place to put a soft bag OR a top box but not both and made it function equally well at both while giving fuel pack options too.

Of course it's designed to be very durable and last in the long run and even the powder coat (which is particularly tough!) is textured to give grip to soft bags when they are strapped on.
Many, many of these are in use around the world too!

Did I miss anything?

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks!

Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #253
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Great reply... Thanks Dave!

I didn't realize Riley (Motoriley) was using your top rack. I know him and he lives not far from me.

Ok, I'm sold.

Any changes forseen between now and spring on any of this gear... skid plate you already said no, but kickstand enlarger, top box?

Guess I'll take this off line to see what kind of package you can make me.

Cheers!

Eldor
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #254
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Great reply... Thanks Dave!

I didn't realize Riley (Motoriley) was using your top rack. I know him and he lives not far from me.

Ok, I'm sold.

Any changes forseen between now and spring on any of this gear... skid plate you already said no, but kickstand enlarger, top box?

Guess I'll take this off line to see what kind of package you can make me.

Cheers!

Eldor
Hey Eldor,

Thanks very much! Yes you should check out Motoriley's bike since he has everything we make for it.
He seems to like it all too!

email me at: dave(at)motooverland(dot)com when you get a chance...

Dave
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #255
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Redhed to South America

We just got an email from a friend of our's Redhed who's en route to Ushuaia from Vancouver Island!

His bike is Blondie and all of our MOD parts are on board: top rack (he was one of the very first to have one way back when!), skid plate, tool box and the side stand foot!

Redhed and Blondie Baja

Redhed and Blondie in Guatemala

another shot in Guatemala after a deep water crossing

He's in Columbia right now and things are going well except for a sad story he just posted of a rider down on his blog:
http://redhedsmototravels.blogspot.ca/

Godspeed and safe travels Redhed!!

Dave