Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
xy500 OP
Loser

Oddometer: 72
Can it be done? ADVing an FZR 1000

I've got a project bike i've been fixing up. a 1992 Yamaha FZR 1000

Original idea was to fix it up, and return it to factory state...
But that has proven to be out of reach due to cost of available parts and non availability of many parts (plastics mainly).
So i've looked to turn it into what is known as a 'streetfighter', though to me it is more like making it into a normal motorcycle.
After getting it in good mechanical state; progress so far has a GS500 headlight, relocated dash, and yz450 handlebars mounted from risers off the top triple clamp. Tank is in getting repaired and repainted at the moment.

But now I'm wondering, will this bike make a good touring / adventure bike? It's never going to be a dakar beast, but hopefully it will handle dirt roads & gravel tracks. Thoughts or opinions anyone?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
It may suck as an ADV bike due to steep rake/trail, short wheelbase, short suspension travel.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
In my opinion - quite unsuitable material for ADV bike. I had to work on one and service it for a while, so...
EXUP model? If so - prone to like really good service on EXUP, without working EXUP this engine does not do very well, tested.
Does have some oil appetite (every one I came across did that), engine is quite large and very heavy. And bit thirsty.
Frame lower mount have tendency to be impacted by crashes, generally it only looks beefy but in fact it is made with sportbike and weight saving intricate casting in mind.
Power delivery is smooth and predictable like electric motor, it's nice - but it's about it. Also - good suspension for those times but boy it is hard and short travel! We did quite a few rides with my friend who owned it and he suffered quite a lot on bad surface roads.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
xy500 OP
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
It may suck as an ADV bike due to steep rake/trail, short wheelbase, short suspension travel.
Well to be honest it has quite a bit of rake, much more than any other sport bike i've seen. The shocking turning circle is testament to it! Wheelbase is also longer than most sport bikes i've seen. Suspension is short travel, but no worse than say a triumph scrambler?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
xy500 OP
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
EXUP model? If so - prone to like really good service on EXUP, without working EXUP this engine does not do very well, tested.
Does have some oil appetite (every one I came across did that), engine is quite large and very heavy. And bit thirsty.
Yeah it's an exup, servicing the valve is easy though, 5 in hex bolts, pull it out, re grease, put it back together. No worse than lubing and adjusting a chain?
Myne does not yet seem to use any oil whatsoever, its came with 60,000km on the clock (~40,000 miles) and runs beautifully after all the work i put into it. Fuel usage i would imagine would be comparable to any 4 cylinder 1 litre bike.
Opinions seem negative so far, but i think there's hope!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
I would have to say no. Mostly because of the riding position. A long time ago I rode a 1994 YZF1000 from Phoenix, AZ to San Francisco CA and back. It was by far the most miserable motorcycle trip I have ever been on. I was in tremendous pain, and all of the pain never did go away, even months after I got back. I am now 53, and have fairly severe arthritis and fibromyalgia, but I still believe that trip all those years ago made my current condition much worse. Unless you can find a way to raise the bars at least 8" and move the pegs forward about a foot, You are going to suffer big time. Sport bikes are not meant for trips, they are meant for track use, and short rides on curvy mountain roads. There ergos are way off, both for comfort and for control of the bike on slippery surfaces.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Yes you can.

http://youtu.be/lLU2oaiZQ58

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672108
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
xy500 OP
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would have to say no. Mostly because of the riding position.
Well, that's already not a problem, the combination of MX bars plus the riser clamps make the bars very comfortable, the position is somewhat like riding a ducati monster.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

This is FZ1. Nothing is same with FZR. Chassis is totally different.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500 View Post
Yeah it's an exup, servicing the valve is easy though, 5 in hex bolts, pull it out, re grease, put it back together. No worse than lubing and adjusting a chain?
Myne does not yet seem to use any oil whatsoever, its came with 60,000km on the clock (~40,000 miles) and runs beautifully after all the work i put into it. Fuel usage i would imagine would be comparable to any 4 cylinder 1 litre bike.
Opinions seem negative so far, but i think there's hope!
Oil and exup is more about whole deal with digging in dirt and dust etc., this is not what I meant to have as showstopper - more like acceptance and watch out for moving headers from current location and more suitable air intake.
I did hear about FZRs that are not taking oil, I trust you - but I just did not had friends that were so lucky.

If you talking about total replacement of suspension with more suitable...the frame still is showstopper. And huge heavy wide motor is.
This frame is not suitable for bad surface condition and it is fragile. Also it is not duplex or something with rails under motor, so you will have to build subframe attaching to it, change rear linkage and shock as a minimum (which will shorten base - good, but will put chain wrong around frame - bad).

Anything can be built into anything for sake of building. But why not just make it into big sport tourer if you want to change it and perhaps take some parts of GT1000 (injection?) to smarten it up?
In stock in my experience it is definitely more thirsty than more contemporary il4s I am afraid. Quite big tank is advantage thou.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 582
Man you can ADV anything. There are guys doing it on R1's and thats just the next gen of the FZR.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm with crazydave, If you can believe it, you can achieve it. All corny sayings aside I say , why not. I used to zoom around on dirt roads on a Honda VTR1000 Superhawk at 75 MPH and it was a blast. Now you can get knobby tires from Conti in sportbike sizes and have proper tires for throwing lotsa roost. I would just avoid deep ruts and really big jumps. I'm not sure where youre from in western N.Y. Dave, but you ever ride the miles of dirt roads around Naples and Cohocton?
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote