Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Gerbing's is the Gold Standard. They have a lifetime, no-hassle warranty, and they're available all over the place.
That's exactly what I was going to say!

2014 R1200GS Racing Red
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Gerbings is Ok. I would consider Warm&Safe over FirstGear. Actually W&S makes firstgear's stuff but it is a cheaper product than what they sell under the W&S brand name. I've had some connector issues with my Gerbings and the lead to the right glove failed so the lifetime guarantee on the electrics seems to be of significant value. Believe W&S also have this guarantee. Gloves, full sleeve jacket liner and dual channel controller is what I would recommend. Skip the vest. The heated collar and sleeves are worth it.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
Gerbings is Ok. I would consider Warm&Safe over FirstGear. Actually W&S makes firstgear's stuff but it is a cheaper product than what they sell under the W&S brand name.
I believe that is not correct. First Gear sells the Gen 3 jacket and the Gen WP jacket. Just not the Gen 4 jacket. The ones they sell are the same as if you bought the same model directly from WnS.

The Gen WP is the waterproof version of the Gen 4. My opinion is that a waterproof electric liner is better than one that's not waterproof. And since nobody else makes a waterproof liner, that means, by definition, the WnS Gen WP liner IS The Best.

Also, the WnS dual wireless remote controller is awesome and nobody else has that, either.

Instead of jacket and gloves, I use heated jacket and heated socks. Summer riding gear and clothes plus that and I'm good down to at least 40 degrees for an all day ride. And at that, I still never turned either heat channel up over 1/2 way.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
No best... just find what you like and run with it. I have Gerbings for a few years - and have been very happy with my selection.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
I've had some connector issues with my Gerbings and the lead to the right glove failed so the lifetime guarantee on the electrics seems to be of significant value.
I had exactly the same. I wonder if our liners shared a manufacturing issue?

Anyway at the start of the cool season I shipped mine back, and had the repaired liner back at my house within a week.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,188
I have Firstgear by Warm n Safe, works great. 90W jacket and pants. Haven't tried Gerbings.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
I was woundering the same thing and wasted a bunch of time looking around here and other sites over the last week or so. Seems like most other things everyone likes somthing diffrent. I bought the firstgear 90 watt liner today at my local dealer. He took $50 off the liner and that was the deal sealer for me. I was to cheep to buy the controller so I am using a toggle switch. I went for a short ride today and it works great. Hope that helps. Alan
lol, "go fry your ass" will take on a new meaning. You NEED the controller
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
lol, "go fry your ass" will take on a new meaning. you need the controller
+1
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
I've had the older Gerbings with insulation. A Gen 2 & 4 Warm n Safe and now have the WP Warm n Safe. For me, it is the "best".

Waterproof, by definition, also means windproof. I don't know if that is why, but this is by far the warmest liner I've had out of the 4. I've always had to have a layer of some type of insulation over the liner to keep the heat in. Not with the WP liner.

There is definitely more bulk to it. About the same as the insulated Gerbings, and maybe that is where the warmth comes from? Dunno. It doesn't seem insulated, there is just more. More what? I don't know. There isn't a layer of insulation in it. It doesn't seem any thicker, but there is more heft to it for sure. All I know is that it is really warm.

Build quality is WAY better than the gen 2 & 4 it replaced. The outer fabric is more "normal". It feels like a thin technical outer that you'd buy from REI, rather than cheesy nylon. That makes it look more "normal", which makes it more versatile. The main zip is a waterproof RIRI. It works just like a normal zipper, but is apparently 100% waterproof. I haven't used this liner in the rain, but if you open up the inner access zipper, all the seams are seam sealed. The liner uses a Gelanots membrane.

The wires are thin and don't hit my elbows like every other liner I had and its really comfortable. I still get shocked by it, but whatever. Warm n Safe is the "best". The gloves I just got? Not so much.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 05:45 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
I just ordered some Warm and Safe gear (3rd gen liner, gloves) based on the positive comments on ADV I've seen over the past several months. We'll see how it works out...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,347
I have a Powerlet setup, jacket, glove liners, and controller. This is the only heated gear I have ever owned. So far I have ridden down to 32 and was quite toasty. I wear a base layer, the Powerlet jacket, and a GoreTex shell. I wear the glove liners with KLIM Inversion gloves over them. It wasn't inexpensive but it extends my season and I ride a lot in the winter so money well spent IMO.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
SkidmarkSteve
Never say die

Oddometer: 29
Powerlet Rapidfire

I also use the Powerlet liner and gloves. The gloves are great because you can wear whatever outer glove you want and will cook your hands without a controller.

I am still experimenting withe best possible configuration of the liner. I run it on full blast most of the time and find it to be comforting, but not so hot that I have to turn it down. I use under armor 3.0, the liner and my Klim Traverse jacket and I don't find the heat to be overwhelming in temps down all the way to 20 degrees.

I have since tried a thinner base layer and oddly enough I felt warmer in similar temps. I also incorporated an insulated mid layer between the liner and the Klim jacket with good results. I am thinking that perhaps my expectations were too high to just use the liner with the Traverse all season long. Perhaps it is more that the Klim is just a shell, but honestly I figured the pairing would perform a little better and I am constantly trying new ways with more and more success each time.

All things aside, the construction of the liner is great and is very comfortable to wear, even if it is a little short on the torso and the sizes run small. The wireless controller works likes charm and is super convenient compaired to a wired controller.

1972 Suzuki GT380 (gone but not forgotten)
2011 Massey Ferguson NightRod Special (gone....forgotten)
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
SkidmarkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
I am also shopping for heated gear. Currently between Gerbing and Powerlet. I would like to know where the Powerlet is made their website doesn't really say. Gerbing is USA made although you have to be careful getting from a dealer as my local dealer has a mix of import and USA made stuff, they look different and they are tagged.

Das Boot what makes you say the Powerlet was better? Fit, finish, hardware or everything? Having a tough time deciding between the two. Experience of company to me says Gerbing but the Powerlet IFR heating sounds better.
my powerlet jacket and glove liners are made in china. Don't know about the wireless heat troller.

I am very happy with my powerlet heated gear. It's the only heated gear I've used so I can't compare it to others, but I would buy it again. The only "but" i can come up with is its a little short on me and there are no outside hand pockets so i cant use it as a standalone jacket off the bike. I didnt buy it for that purpose so not a big deal for me. I've had good experience with their customer service too. I had a question about their gear when I first bought it. Called on a weekend, left a message, and got a call back first thing Monday morning from a guy who actually knew what he was talking about.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #29
Spummerr
Voyager

Oddometer: 32
Couldn't agree more! Gerbings is the way to go.

Warm & Safe is just a Micky mouse mom & pop operation. Made in China & other 3rd world countries. Pakistan etc.

Gerbings is made in the usa! Lifetime warranty to. Gerbing Customer service is the best in the business

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Gerbing's is the Gold Standard. They have a lifetime, no-hassle warranty, and they're available all over the place.
Spummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #30
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,926
You can get HD branded Gerbings at the Harley retail store for a slight premium, if you are out and about and a bit chilly. I did yesterday.

The (cute) sales girl was actually quite knowledgeable and helpful. Apparently Harley had her take training on 'em. They had a full selection of sizes and controllers.

Since it was cold, the dealer pulled the bike into the shop and hooked it up for free, so I would be toasty for the rest of my ride. I woulda, but it was a nice touch and worth the slight premium.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote