Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
-100 on U-ship.com . What a friggin' nightmare. Had 2 confirmed takers flake out on me and left me scrambling to find a last minute hauler. Then a buttload of hassle to get my deposit back. Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I was wondering the same thing recently. I'm going to the arctic circle next year from the East coast and may need to ship my GS home from Fairbanks, Alaska. Has anyone shipped home from Fairbanks? Cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
thinking of going the opposite direction in 2013 ship to fairbanks and drive home
I just did this both ways. Here's a little insight: First thing you'll learn is that no trucking company will want to take your bike to Alaska thru Canada. There's two border crossings, one into Canada and then one back into Alaska. This is a paperwork nightmare and they just wont do it. What they will do is take your bike to Seattle area via truck and then put it on a barge to Anchorage. This means that you pay for the truck to Seattle and then you pay for the barge ride. If you dont have a crate, then you will pay someone to have it crated in Seattle. If you have to have it in Fairbanks, you'll have to pay to have it hauled from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
To get it back to the lower 48 from Alaska, reverse of the above.
Shipping to and from Alaska was one of the most difficult, aggravating and expensive endeavors I've had. Without alot of help from Joanie at Classic Motion in Anchorage, I would have missed my trip. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. Without question, I would buy a bike via Craigs list or ebay and then re-sell it when I leave. Much easier, cheaper and cleaner than shipping to Alaska.
I'll say this....whatever you decide to do, you're gonna love Alaska.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
I spoke with another inmate, Connor, who did an AK trip. He rode to Bellingham, WA then boarded a 3 day ferry to AK then got on the bike and rode up to Deadhorse and back.

I'd look to do the same thing but would prefer to ship the bike from my home in SoCal to Bellingham and back. I'll check out these various shippers and report back. My trip isn't until July 2012 though.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
eSTes1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Rent it

By the time you get done messing around, renting from EagleRider may be better. Layer in wear and tear and it comes out almost even. Plus, you get to ride a NEW and different bike that you may have an interest in. Eagle is all over the West, I see riders from around the world on their bikes. Price it, it may be a better choice for you. I have nothing to do with Eagle.
eSTes1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
freefallen
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSTes1300 View Post
By the time you get done messing around, renting from EagleRider may be better.
I need to rent a bike in Page, AZ. I checked with Eagle - they don't have it there. Turned out, Page doesn't have any motorcycle rentals. Does anybody know otherwise?
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)

freefallen screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 09:08 PM
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Laugh

Small Alaska Trip hijack: I live in Bellingham. If anyone is considering shipping to here, and needs someone to handle things, I could help. My neighbors would love having trucks pulling up to drop off motorcycles at my house, and inmates camping in my yard.

There's a small airport here, or you can fly in and out of Seattle, which is about 90 miles away. A shuttle or car ride between Bham and Seattle is about 1/2 the price of the flight, so it's usually worth the extra bucks to just fly here.

You could also ship in and out of Seattle, and just drive the 90miles up to the ferry. I know Forward AIR has a location near SEA-TAC, or maybe just rent from there if you're in that camp.

The only dealership in town is Mt.Baker motor sports (Kawi, Slowzuki, KTM). They might also be willing to help someone with shipping pickup and drop off.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
hopskipjump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
So how does one get in touch with Dan Lawson? Uship seems to not allow an individual to make direct contact...
hopskipjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I've found that no matter who or how you ship it, you're probably going to pay about $500.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
+1
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote