Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Oddometer: 30
For a long time I hadn't had to be concerned about time or deal with a concrete schedule. But when travelling through Tibet with your own vehicle, the money you pay to the Chinese government for permits and all, determines how much time you get to play with. Apart from falling behind in our schedule we had another problem. We would be travelling at high altitude for a while. And to prevent altitude sickness, which is not something you should take too lightly, we were supposed to adjust slowly. Going up maybe 1500 - 2000 meters in a few hours and then going down again wasn't so much a problem. But if you spend a few hours up at these heights, or even spend the night, this can kill you. I think there is a rule of thumb. I'm not entirely sure, but it's something like: "Don't sleep more than 800 meters higher than the night before." Obviously this only applies above 3500m / 11500feet. No problem if you sleep at the beach and then go up 1500m / 5000feet.

Due to our setback in time, we couldn't make the stops as planned. Some days we would cross a number of high mountain passes and when stopping at the peak, taking pictures for a few minutes made us realize pretty quickly you start to feel light-headed and soon start to feel sick. It's like when your whole body hates you. The a quick descent into the next valley would immeditately help. We knew however, that further East of Lhasa, we wouldn't have opportunity of going down again for a while. We would be riding / driving at 14000 feet and higher for over a week with no way down. And this is when I got food poisoning from something I ate…

Open-Explorers
Open-Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 466
This is the first "Ride Report" that I've been hooded into reading. Great write up and pictures. I can't wait to hear more!!!

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
This is the first "Ride Report" that I've been hooded into reading. Great write up and pictures. I can't wait to hear more!!!
I got hatted myself.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,545
great report!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Now *that's* a journey.

I'm in.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,954
Way cool

having traveled alot and been in some good and bad situations I am so in for this. Are you doing the movie in two halfs?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #37
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
intense....following along....thank you for the amazing story and pics thus far.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Oddometer: 30
Hi guys, thanks for your encouraging feedback. I'm sorry I've been absent for a while –*I went to Milan to attend the EICMA. I helped out friends at MOTOinfinito and represented the Ted Simon Foundation. It's been great, but exhausting too.

@Reidy008: Yep, I'm going to do it in two parts.

STORY CONTINUES
Our guide was a very nice and kind young man. He tried everything he could to make this part of our journeys as enjoyable as possible for us. I never found out how he got to the Nepali border to meet us and I don't know how he got to wherever he had to go after he wished us farewell at the border of Laos at the end. He just appeared and disappeared. And in between, he had this smile on his face. He either ride in the camper-van or the truck. All he had for luggage was a small daypack and a sleeping bag tied on top of it.

The larger the group, the bigger the chances of someone having some troubles with something. Over 12.000 feet, the camper-van's injection pump was playing up wildly. In the cold, the truck's diesel filter would clog from the lousy fuel that we got in Nepal. After the cold nights, my bike would only start after the camping stove warmed up the engine block for half an hour. In addition, we poured boiling water over the cylinders. Some of us would suffer from altitude sickness more than others, but we all agreed, most challenging was getting good food in these remote areas. We always had to go into the kitchen and point at things. Not only because of the language barrier, but also because we wanted to avoid eating rat.

Sometimes we wouldn't make the checkpoint. This one day, the camper-van stopped working altogether and we had to fix it. This also meant spending the night in between places. It might not look it, but the 4-wheelers are pretty crammed with equipment for their long journeys. So there was just enough space for me to fit in the truck with the others for the night. Our guide however, didn't pull out a 2 square-meter heated, survival capsule out of his daypack. We explained to him, that we are stuck and we don't know where he can spend the night.

I don't really know how he did it. But he stayed cool until way after dark. At some stage he just jumped onto this one military truck that came by (the only other vehicle we had seen the second half of that day) and waved at us. I'm not sure where they let him sleep, but he was back the next morning before we were all ready to drive on. And he still had this smile on his face. Amazing guy. Amazing Tibetan guy.

Open-Explorers
Open-Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #39
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Wow
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #40
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Wild
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
ride

It will be nice to have some more details info about the trip , road taken , where did you work , budget spent along the road... or do we have to wait for the film

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #42
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Yes!

Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
it will be nice to have some more details info about the trip , road taken , where did you work , budget spent along the road... Or do we have to wait for the film
+1000
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #44
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
ride

NO news yet I will have hope for some more news but I guess now that the "sponsoring "is finished it will take time ?. I was so curious to see how one can work in underdevelopped countries and make enough money to travel , I went around the world and cannot imagine working in a rice patty or as a laborer and make enough money to fill up my bike , eat and sleep somehwere. I must not be smart enough . I went to the site and no info there , just 5 to 10 lines per countries which is a bit sad too .I was not expecting a perfect tread like "Jammin " or "estonia" or many others but after such a great adventure we should have more to see .....

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #45
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
NO news yet I will have hope for some more news but I guess now that the "sponsoring "is finished it will take time ?. I was so curious to see how one can work in underdevelopped countries and make enough money to travel , I went around the world and cannot imagine working in a rice patty or as a laborer and make enough money to fill up my bike , eat and sleep somehwere. I must not be smart enough . I went to the site and no info there , just 5 to 10 lines per countries which is a bit sad too .I was not expecting a perfect tread like "Jammin " or "estonia" or many others but after such a great adventure we should have more to see .....
I too am curious how one can travel the world with no money.... It simply costs money to get gas and food?????