Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #46
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,396
Im going to have my machinist freind make a factory style peener,,, just a round image of the seam.. Im going to change mine before the april 300 race.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #47
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,902
Gunner, Tseta, I second the peening, I had a cam follower shaft come loose cause I didn't know enough to peen it. I was lucky, mostly noise, little damage but I didn't go very far without fixing the problem.

For cleaning pistons and cylinder heads of carbon I use oven cleaner followed by an extremely thorough clear water wash...the carbon melts away with very little work.

I've been doing it for 15 years with no problems. You just need to get the aluminum rinsed very well. I wash with dish soap next.

The results are perfect.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #48
Tseta OP
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Gunnerbuck: Wow, talk about good luck (or skill in listening to engine noises?) that you caught that as soon as you did. Have you found an aftermarket source for the cam follower bearings? My local bearing dealer was unable to find an equivalent, even though he had the old bearings to measure and reference from.

Wrk2surf: Have you considered how much additional force is required to peen the whole circle profile at once? Will it even be possible by hand or will a hydraulic press be required.

Bill: Good tip about the oven cleaner. I will have to try it next time.

So today I lifted the engine back into the frame. I checked and adjusted the valve clearances. I consider the rebuild now basically complete. I would still like to hear the "jury's" opinion about the head work I did.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who contributes to this great forum with the useful guides and tutorials. Without them, I don't think I would have had the courage to dig as deep into the engine as I did.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #49
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
For what it's worth....I think you did a great job!
makazica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #50
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,612
A good informative read.....

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #51
Deep
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Next up was taking a peek inside the clutch housing. There has been plenty of talk about checking the crankshaft seal located within this housing. I thought that the seal in my engine was due for a replacement.

Removing the cover was simple enough. I punched the removed bolts through some cardboard to make sure I don’t mix them up. The ones with the red circle had a copper washer under the bolt heads.

The cover lifted off easily enough and the gasket remained intact on the engine side. The clutch looked ok. However, I didn’t take anything more off. The oil pumps will have to wait for another time.

The actual seal is located right beside the oil sight glass, inside the cover.

Removing the seal was much easier in this case, as there was no shaft in the way. A seal puller tool was carefully used to pry the old seal out, and the new seal was carefully tapped in place.

The cover was put in place and the bolts (with new copper washers) were tightened to 8Nm, in a criss-cross pattern.

Next up will probably be the waterpump and the camshaft area (follower bearings and such).

Cheers,

Tseta
I just ordered a new seal .. did you have to heat the case to expand it a little?
Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
This has been an awesome top-end service write up. I think you've eased some of my KTM service/reliability fears. Maybe it's time to switch the red Kool-aid for some orange.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #53
Tseta OP
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
I just ordered a new seal .. did you have to heat the case to expand it a little?
I didn't have to, but every little bit helps, of course...

-T
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote