Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #2011
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Guys. I've been planning to buy Badlands. But Kim dealer offered to myself to match Badlands price by offering 2012 version of Klim Adventure suit at the similiar price. He simply wants to get rid of it as new 2013 version will soon be in his shop...

I planned to go for Badlands but now, when price is no issue, I'm a bit puzzled.

To sum up my needs:
- I need one suit for every occassion, apart from very serious dirt riding;
- that needs to be waterproof, windproof and highly breathable as well (I believe in GTX);
- I never ride in sub-zero temps (below 0 centigrade); however, I'm tired of brands that are pricey but cannot quarantee warmth at 5 degs centigrade (eg Rukka);
- In very warm circumstances I use enduro jacket/blouse with lots of venting;
- I'm not so thin - Adv/Badlands fit might serve me good.

So, why Adventure over Badlands ? What do you reckon ?
If you like staying dry, the adventure rally because the arm vents can leak on the badlands if you don't have enough wind protection. I'd wager the badlands vents better in the arms though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=288
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #2012
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
If you like staying dry, the adventure rally because the arm vents can leak on the badlands if you don't have enough wind protection. I'd wager the badlands vents better in the arms though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=288
Have ridden a couple thousand miles in the rain with my Bad/Pro and no leaks for me... for wind protection a Brittania Lynx fairing on a DRZ front end hanging off a KLR.
Yes the underarm vents are a lifesaver when the temps climb above 75F.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #2013
bdezz
CuriousDezz

Oddometer: 345
In hot temps, soak your shirt and close up the vents on the jacket. I find that's good for at least a couple of hours. Start opening vents as the shirt gets drier. Wore mine from BC thru WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, NB and CO in mid August last year and year before. Can get rather ...warm in them parts

In cold weather (e.g., 33 F) I just plug in the Gerbings and switch on the heated grips (oops, gotta fix that right grip!). And close vents, wear turtleneck under Gerbings...or not.
1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank (gone)
1971 R75/5 (gone)
1987 K100LT (gone)
bdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #2014
GravityDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Bumping the thread... Question for those running a neck brace. How is the fit with the Atlas Brace? Just picked up a '13 Rally Adv kit and am looking at getting a neck brace and the Atlas looks good
Thanks for any advice
GravityDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #2015
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I have the original KLIM Adv suit and the pants just started leaking on me. My crotch got wet twice now and this never used to happen. Has this started happening with anyone else?

These have been worn almost daily for something like 4 years so I am thinking the waterproofing might just have worn away. Each time I have washed them, guessing about 12 times I have used the Niki wash and waterproof renew. I see no tears or unraveled thread to cause this. KLIM did repair the zipper I broke.

As for other wear the velcro should be replaced because the hooks do not grab like they used to. The jacket sleeves are all fuzzy from getting snagged by the velcro.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #2016
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
I have the original KLIM Adv suit and the pants just started leaking on me. My crotch got wet twice now and this never used to happen. Has this started happening with anyone else?

These have been worn almost daily for something like 4 years so I am thinking the waterproofing might just have worn away. Each time I have washed them, guessing about 12 times I have used the Niki wash and waterproof renew. I see no tears or unraveled thread to cause this. KLIM did repair the zipper I broke.

As for other wear the velcro should be replaced because the hooks do not grab like they used to. The jacket sleeves are all fuzzy from getting snagged by the velcro.
I've had the pants for a few years but rarely wear them to be honest. My junk got soaked in a near freezing trip last weekend because of a leaky seam in the crotch somewhere. I'm just beginning to go through the warranty process and I have no idea how it's going to turn out BUT I'm hoping for the best.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #2017
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
My 2012 pants are also leaking in the crotch - which surprises me. No visible wear or punctures on the outer fabric and I've always been careful with wiping off dirt from saddles before riding on.

Read in another thread about the Traverse that Klim recommends washing the garment a couple of times a year and respraying with water repellant.

According to same thread waterproofness was restored after a wash.

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...ter-repellency

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...g-instructions
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #2018
Shizoku
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
KLIM Adventure vs Badland Pro

This question has probably been asked and answered somewhere on this board, but can someone explain the difference between the Badlands vs the Adventure and is it worth the extra cost for the Adventure?

I will be traveling to Alaska, Western Canada, Baja Mexico, and hopefully Europe in the next couple years so I'm definitely looking at the KLIM line, narrowed to the Badland vs the Adventure.

Dave in Valencia
Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2019
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizoku View Post
This question has probably been asked and answered somewhere on this board, but can someone explain the difference between the Badlands vs the Adventure and is it worth the extra cost for the Adventure?

I will be traveling to Alaska, Western Canada, Baja Mexico, and hopefully Europe in the next couple years so I'm definitely looking at the KLIM line, narrowed to the Badland vs the Adventure.

Dave in Valencia
The material on the adventure suit is heavier and the panels on the shoulders and arms are a super tough material, has way more pockets on the back for storing kit so you don't wear a waist belt, the jacket has a built in harness system so the jacket sort of floats (not a good description but best I can do).
Badlands has a chest protector and inside pockets and is a more versatile road jacket.
Downsides, on the adventure suit I have (one of the first) there is no venting on the sleeves, its great in cold weather as I can get lots on underneath, but warm weather is a pain its nowhere near enough ventilated.
On the pants they are designed to be worn standing on the bike when sitting the vents on the upper thigh are right at the point where they crease up and mine are for ever popping open, but they are designed I suppose for standing up off road. My biggest issue with the jacket is the size of the sleeves, I know it sounds bizzare, but if you take the smallest jacket they make, and measure the diameter of the cuff and sleeve, and then the chest and then take the measurements of the xxxl which is mine ;-) and do the same measurements, the chest/waist etc. is as you would expect but the sleeves have not been sized up to the same degree, I find I have to wear a warm body warmer because I cannot get a winter liner in the sleeves they are too tight, sounds stupid I know but its a real deal breaker for me.
If I had to buy the kit again I would get the badlands kit rather than the adventure as its more aimed at my kind of riding and I found it way to hot when riding is southern Spain and Portugal, but both are good bits of kit.
I would advise you to try the kit on as Kilm sizing is complete crap, nothing wrong with the quality but the sizing is all to hell.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #2020
Shizoku
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
The material on the adventure suit is heavier and the panels on the shoulders and arms are a super tough material, has way more pockets on the back for storing kit so you don't wear a waist belt, the jacket has a built in harness system so the jacket sort of floats (not a good description but best I can do).
Badlands has a chest protector and inside pockets and is a more versatile road jacket.
Downsides, on the adventure suit I have (one of the first) there is no venting on the sleeves, its great in cold weather as I can get lots on underneath, but warm weather is a pain its nowhere near enough ventilated.
On the pants they are designed to be worn standing on the bike when sitting the vents on the upper thigh are right at the point where they crease up and mine are for ever popping open, but they are designed I suppose for standing up off road. My biggest issue with the jacket is the size of the sleeves, I know it sounds bizzare, but if you take the smallest jacket they make, and measure the diameter of the cuff and sleeve, and then the chest and then take the measurements of the xxxl which is mine ;-) and do the same measurements, the chest/waist etc. is as you would expect but the sleeves have not been sized up to the same degree, I find I have to wear a warm body warmer because I cannot get a winter liner in the sleeves they are too tight, sounds stupid I know but its a real deal breaker for me.
If I had to buy the kit again I would get the badlands kit rather than the adventure as its more aimed at my kind of riding and I found it way to hot when riding is southern Spain and Portugal, but both are good bits of kit.
I would advise you to try the kit on as Kilm sizing is complete crap, nothing wrong with the quality but the sizing is all to hell.
Thank you so much for your response. Great info.
Does anyone know of a retail location in Southern California that stocks the KLIM lineup?
Given the price point, I'd like to see it, touch it, and try it on, before laying out the cash.

Dave In Valencia

Shizoku screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 08:25 AM
Shizoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #2021
Grumpy old Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
This is the longest thread I ever read trough in my life. So I am bringing it back up, as its been quiet for a while.

When I first read about the Adv Suit from Klim my first reaction was, as probably for most of us - wow pricey!

It took me a while to overcome the initial shock and even longer to make the decision to buy or not.

However. In the first few weeks of owning the jacket I had experienced a issue with the lock outs on the chest pockets. In Europe we where told that the 2 chest pockets are water proof. So I trusted Klim and put all my valuables in those to pouches. Well it did rain and my walett, my fags and my iPhone got drowned. So I was even out a few hundred more.
As time went on the fluffying of the fabric started and after a while I lost confidence in the jacket. I couldn't really be arsed going trough the whole warranty claim and was prepared to put it down to bad experience. At one stage, and I still say this today, the Jacket is not worth the money. I can honestly say, that in my opinion the Badlands pro I considered as klims top end product and the adv Jacket should have been priced in the range of the badlands.

Once I had accepted the fact that there is no water proof pocket at all, not even as much as a little mesh net pocket on the inside, I started to enjoy the coat as what it is. A technical piece of kit who has one job - Pure Adventure. But still, I was missing a pouch to carry my small valuables. So with a bit of handy needle work I have solved that issue.

Anyway. I didn't bother with the pants after my disappointing experiance and got myself a badlands pant instead.

But here is the funny thing. Its still the best jacket I have ever owned and ridden with. In fact right now I am saving up to get myself the rally 2 jacket.

KLiM Technical Riding Gear / KRIEGA and ENDURISTAN Luggage Solutions / W2 Adventure Boots
Grumpy old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #2022
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
I've had a lot of Klim kit.

I started with their Latitude suit. Rode it everywhere from snow to deserts. Worked great. Best all-weather suit I'd ever owned. But after about 18 months, the fly zip on the pants failed, as did the waterproofing on the vents. After a bit of to-and-fro with Klim, they warrantied it.

Then I got the Element gloves. After about 2 years, the goretex liner failed. They warrantied that too. Good job.

I also got an inferno jacket. The glue on the front zip pocket (yes, glue) is falling apart now. I just repaired that myself.

I then sold on my Latitude suite and got an adventure jacket, and Dakar pants at a reduced price. I wanted to be able to wear a neck brace.

And it worked marvelous. The harness was super comfortable and held the pads in place better than any other jacket I've ever had. The heaps of pockets meant no more backpacks. The vents worked brilliantly, as did the wet and dry neckbrace collar. It became my most used piece of clothing, wore it almost every day, lived out of it for weeks at a time on occasion.

But about 12 months later, the velcro at the pockets was separating, the removable collar zip was broken, the pockets and even sleeves leaked, and the d30 pads had worn their way through their own mesh pockets. I was very disappointed - I loved the function of the jacket but it just wasn't going the distance.

Klim warrantied that too. New one is on its way, so I really can't complain. In terms of customer service Klim is bloody fantastic.

But I'm just not sure about whether I'll hang on to this jacket when it arrives....Despite the quality feel to all of their kit, I'm just not having a good run with longevity.

Jdeks screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 07:55 AM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #2023
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizoku View Post
Thank you so much for your response. Great info.
Does anyone know of a retail location in Southern California that stocks the KLIM lineup?
Given the price point, I'd like to see it, touch it, and try it on, before laying out the cash.

Dave In Valencia
Were you able to find a local vendor around LA? There are quite a few.

I hate to admit it, but I used a local vendor to get my sizes, then I bought from Atomic-Moto to save the tax. To make up for it I bought about a thousand bucks worth of tires, boots for the wife, and some other small stuff (they price matched revzilla) so I don't feel too guilty as I still gave them a decent sale. I might even buy a dirt bike from them sometime.

If you're still shopping and want info on this vendor hit me with a pm. Alternatively Klims deals locator lists them all. Call ahead of time to verify sizes. Some klim dealers only carry the lower end/cheaper gear.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #2024
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
I've had a lot of Klim kit.

I started with their Latitude suit. Rode it everywhere from snow to deserts. Worked great. Best all-weather suit I'd ever owned. But after about 18 months, the fly zip on the pants failed, as did the waterproofing on the vents. After a bit of to-and-fro with Klim, they warrantied it.

Then I got the Element gloves. After about 2 years, the goretex liner failed. They warrantied that too. Good job.

I also got an inferno jacket. The glue on the front zip pocket (yes, glue) is falling apart now. I just repaired that myself.

I then sold on my Latitude suite and got an adventure jacket, and Dakar pants at a reduced price. I wanted to be able to wear a neck brace.

And it worked marvelous. The harness was super comfortable and held the pads in place better than any other jacket I've ever had. The heaps of pockets meant no more backpacks. The vents worked brilliantly, as did the wet and dry neckbrace collar. It became my most used piece of clothing, wore it almost every day, lived out of it for weeks at a time on occasion.

But about 12 months later, the velcro at the pockets was separating, the removable collar zip was broken, the pockets and even sleeves leaked, and the d30 pads had worn their way through their own mesh pockets. I was very disappointed - I loved the function of the jacket but it just wasn't going the distance.

Klim warrantied that too. New one is on its way, so I really can't complain. In terms of customer service Klim is bloody fantastic.

But I'm just not sure about whether I'll hang on to this jacket when it arrives....Despite the quality feel to all of their kit, I'm just not having a good run with longevity.
good grief .. that's a LOT of failures!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #2025
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
But a hell of a lot of wear/tear.

The man says he wore it daily.