Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
laminarflowone OP
hopeless engineer

Oddometer: 73
Wink heated throw blanket as a diy heated jacket liner?

My girlfriend has gotten really into riding two up with me of late, but the winters in chicago can get to be a little severe with Highway travel. I have spent a small fortune on heated gear on myself years ago when I gave up cager life cold turkey, but I'm a little hesitant to buy new equipment when I'm not sure if it will get a whole lot of use.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a heated throw blanket and wrapped it around their passengers inside jacket as a cheap heated liner? Blankets are around 30 dollars and I could always use the throw blanket at my house for reading on the deck on cool nights. Any experience or comments or suggestions?
laminarflowone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
would 12v be enough to heat a blanket thats wired for 220[USA?] and is your bike going to go "VROOM VROoo..o......o........"

personally i would be a gent and let the lady have the heated vest for a couple of trips, while you wrap up in every item of warm clothing you have, silver survival blankets and newspapers stuffed down your chest!!

you will score points with your GF, and more importantly not spend a dollar on her till you have to, with christmas coming you can time it just right!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
CRASHDADDY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I'm with Davsato, treat her like the queen she is! http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml
CRASHDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I use a 50 watt 110 volt heating pad that you can get at the drug store for about $15. It's plugged into a tiny 70 watt inverter. The pad is about 12"X18", waterproof, and has a 3 way thermostat on the cord. You can stuff it inside a jacket, sit on it, or whatever. Has been working great for over 10 years now.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
laminarflowone OP
hopeless engineer

Haha, good suggestions all around. I could live without my heated jacket, but not without heated gloves grips and socks. Marathon running and boxing has made my hands and feet very bony and with no insulating fat, everywhere else is another story ;-)

Where did you pick up the heating pad hugemoth? Stores around here only seem to carry the heating blankets for truck drivers that plug into cigarette plus with only one setting. ..
Meijer was running a clearance on the blankets so that's what gave me the idea
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
The heating pad is from a drug store but Walmart carries them in their pharmacy section. You can see what they look like if you google "wet dry heating pad".

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarflowone View Post
Haha, good suggestions all around. I could live without my heated jacket, but not without heated gloves grips and socks. Marathon running and boxing has made my hands and feet very bony and with no insulating fat, everywhere else is another story ;-)

Where did you pick up the heating pad hugemoth? Stores around here only seem to carry the heating blankets for truck drivers that plug into cigarette plus with only one setting. ..
Meijer was running a clearance on the blankets so that's what gave me the idea
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I use a 50 watt 110 volt heating pad that you can get at the drug store for about $15. It's plugged into a tiny 70 watt inverter. The pad is about 12"X18", waterproof, and has a 3 way thermostat on the cord. You can stuff it inside a jacket, sit on it, or whatever. Has been working great for over 10 years now.
Better yet, just get a 12v heated blanket and forego the inverter.

Then you get to worry about a flattened battery with the increased draw.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
laminarflowone OP
hopeless engineer

Yeah, the 12v blankets are what I was originally referring to, and I would like to think my 1150r could handle two heated jackets and a phone...
Blankets draw about 70watts...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
my bad mate, i had no idea you could get 12v blankets. that makes it a much more viable idea. still look into the current drain though.

the only blankets we get are 240v things that incontinent old folks keep electrocuting themselves with
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,312
These are under $70 from Aerostich and do a good job taking the edge off without really taxing (30 Watts) the charging system:

I would just worry about the 12V electric blanket if it got wet.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
laminarflowone OP
hopeless engineer

Especially if I was using one of davsatos' blankets, ha, that sounds like something that would be perfect for my house---we turn off the heat at night and use electric blankets, which never seems to be warm enough.

I have to dig out my aerostitch catalog from the recycyling, that might be the answer. Thanks!