Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
btdale
btdale

Oddometer: 3
Found these two threads which answered my wiring color questions....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=8

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442304
btdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
BT

Sorry I didn't see that thread had come back to life sooner or I would have tried to help you out with the wiring.

Someone asked about letting the jack flap in the wind? I used velcro. Soft around the jack and the scratchy stuff on the back of the helmet.

JT
Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,081
I tuck the jack up between the foam padding and the helmet.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 07:43 PM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
Cleophus James
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I just did this mod, and the volume is noticeably quieter than the helmet speakers, even with plugs in.

The original speaks are 8 ohm and almot every earbud is 16 ohm. Does anyone who has done this find it difficult to hear the intercom audio while riding?

I can turn the zune volume up and hear it just fine, I'm concerned about the intercom though.
1983 Honda CM450E - Cafe
Cleophus James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleophus James
I just did this mod, and the volume is noticeably quieter than the helmet speakers, even with plugs in.

The original speaks are 8 ohm and almot every earbud is 16 ohm. Does anyone who has done this find it difficult to hear the intercom audio while riding?

I can turn the zune volume up and hear it just fine, I'm concerned about the intercom though.
If you wire it wrong you will lose significant volume level. DAMHIK. With earbuds, I can run the Q2 at it's lowest volume and it's almost too loud.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
Cleophus James
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hmm, wired with the two red wires (noted as -r and -l) joined together at the negative pole of the plug (pinh that contacts the male portion furthest from the tip) the blue and the green that are +L and +R are seperated into the other two contacts.

Do I need to be using a 4 pin connector?
1983 Honda CM450E - Cafe
Cleophus James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #22
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
G4

Thought I'd revive this older thread and see if anyone has an update with the performance of using Noise Cancelling Earbuds with their Scala units?

This seems like a decent solution... But I have never worn earbuds like the Etymonics , er76i, etc... Can they be worn for long 5 - 8 hour rides daily?

Are they holding up and compatable with the Scala G4?

THanks for any $02 !!!!
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
G4

Just did this mod to the G4 last night. I was a little tired and didn't cut the wires far enough away from the mount to use the housing on the jack, there was no wire to work with. I had noodled it through earlier in the week, just forgot to leave enough wire to work with.

Oh well... saved the day with heat shrink tubing instead of the jack housing and will probably inject silicone seal through the heatshrink, into the connection works, in the near future. Mrs Katoomon's connection upgrade will be better because of this blunder.

As posted by others, lowest volume is almost too loud; I am using Etymotic ER6i's. In the photo below, the helmet speakers are wired to the mini plug as kind of a soldering test and to keep the speakers for now.

I wired in stereo, with the green wires wound together and soldered to the jack and plug housing. The left channel wire is the wire with the white dot on it, the inboard wire. You must tin the wires, you must have patience.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #24
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Could I commission someone to build this for me? I will pay!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Cry Sena SMH10: earbud connector built-in

I did this mod on my Scala G4 and it was a PITA to deal with the tiny wires. I "potted" the connections as best I could with shrink wrap and silicone. I then potted the bundle into my Nolan helmet with more silicone hoping to eliminate any chance of strain on the wires.

Well - it worked perfectly for about 4 months riding several times each week. This weekend, I noticed that the LH bud was cutting out after a few minutes of riding. Wiggling the helmet changed it - so I'm sure it is a sign of my crude solder job coming loose.

Next step: Dump the Scala G4 and buy a Sena SMH10 with the factory-engineered 3.5mm female adapter for just this purpose. No cutting and soldering required.

My congrats to those who have done this successfully - I know it is tricky.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries
I did this mod on my Scala G4 and it was a PITA to deal with the tiny wires. I "potted" the connections as best I could with shrink wrap and silicone. I then potted the bundle into my Nolan helmet with more silicone hoping to eliminate any chance of strain on the wires.

Well - it worked perfectly for about 4 months riding several times each week. This weekend, I noticed that the LH bud was cutting out after a few minutes of riding. Wiggling the helmet changed it - so I'm sure it is a sign of my crude solder job coming loose.

Next step: Dump the Scala G4 and buy a Sena SMH10 with the factory-engineered 3.5mm female adapter for just this purpose. No cutting and soldering required.

My congrats to those who have done this successfully - I know it is tricky.
Here is a detailed write up on installing a 3.5 mm jack on the G4... It was really easy and only took about an hour...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=cardo+scala

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Awesome - thanks

This is the way to go. I just ordered the Philmore socket and will try this in a few days when it arrives.

Thanks for your great step-by-step photos. This is exactly what this site is for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi
Here is a detailed write up on installing a 3.5 mm jack on the G4... It was really easy and only took about an hour...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=cardo+scala
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Scala Q2 mod update / half helmet kit

Scala now has a "half helmet kit" which I bought because it has a built in jack for the ear speakers and allows me to use ear buds if I want, without doing the "MOD". http://www.cardosystems.com/motorcyc...lmet-audio-kit The kit is meant to allow hanging the unit on the half helmet type straps using a big spring clamp. When I got the unit, I realized this clamp is removable and I can use the system with the standard helmet clamp by removing a couple of screws making it more versatile between helmets. The price is steep for the kit, maybe in the future you will be able to buy just the boom mike assembly, but, it does the job without soldiering those little wires.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote