Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #15301
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I've just basically finished the electrical work on my 05. I used a Tusk lighting kit from Rocky Mtn Cycle. The harness alone is just $29 if you just need that. The Tusk kit is a battery operated only system which I modified to work with a Ricky Stator dual output stator and reg/rec. I went with an ac/dc system and kept the stock harness mostly in tact. I've also added a key switch, KTM fan (dc) and grip heaters (ac) and will add a gps connection as well.

I bought OEM style connectors from http://vintageconnections.com/ which really helps making a quaility job.

If you do a Google search for XR650R wiring diagram you'll get lots of choices. I more or less copied a wiring diagram for a 1984 XL250 for my project.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
Can anyone share their wiring diagram?

My XRR is currently wired for a headlight, tail light, brake light and turn signals. It has a re-wound stator and a mini-battery. Plus, the current harness is a rat's nest of PO's additions and subtractions. Everytime I have to work on something I have to diagnose why something electrical isn't working because something jiggled loose. I would eventually like to add brighter and/or additional headlights and some 12V accessories, as well as a real battery (probably a small Ballistic). I'll probably also add a Trail Tech, but that's its own deal. What are you guys running for wiring harnesses? Are there any good aftermarket harnesses? Also, if there's some issue where I can't run all of the accessories at once (stator/battery limitations), that's totally fine.

Lastly (semi-unrelated), I used to be able to turn my lights on when the bike wasn't running (on battery power) and now I can't. In between "now" and "then" I rebuilt my whole engine and transmission so my bike wasn't running for a few weeks. At first I assumed the battery had gone weak from sitting, then I started thinking I put it back together wrong. Everything works as it should when it's running, but I get nothing when it's off. I figure if I'm going to gut and re-wire the whole thing this doesn't really matter.
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #15302
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
I used a wire harness (warness) from Vancouver Supermoto and it worked excellent. The owner of VSM loves his xr650r's and has one that's specific and well thought out for the xr. It is literally plug and play and has never let me down, it's not cheap but it is good quality. I hate doing electrical work however this install is easy with the instructions specific to the xr..link below

http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/pr...roducts_id=131
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #15303
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Call Edelbrock

If no luck here call them. They have alot of parts on pallets last I saw and when that is gone most of the stuff won't be reproduced is my understanding. I think they closed that company down that sold the Quicksilver carbs. Something like that.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
If anyone has a remote idle adjustment screw for an edelbrock and they want to sell it it would be much appreciated, or if anyone can point me in the right direction to get one that would be great also.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #15304
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Thanks to ManRacks

Finally had a chance to install the ManRack Rear Rack and Fender Support today.

They sent it immediately - even in silver (my choice to look more like something OEM). Even came with fasteners and required spacers.

Installation would've been 5 minutes except since I had this Acerbis license plate holder, I had to carve it away a bit to make room for the hoop of the fender support.

Had to drill a couple holes to bolt the fender to it. The good thing is, the hoop and rack bolt together and sort of "triangulate" making for a stronger set-up - for the fender and the rack. It's all good.

Finished product. I like this rack because it's fairly understated. It's small enough to look stock, but gives me at least the chance to strap something on if I want. I've got a more serious ManRack on my XRL.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #15305
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
[QUOTE=RZRob;20099643]

Very funny

There is noise and there is NOISE!
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #15306
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Acerbisrear fuel tank 1.6 gallons 104.99 canadain at Viciouscycle.ca has any one ever seen one of these or used one of these it it a universal fit.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #15307
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothride View Post
Acerbisrear fuel tank 1.6 gallons 104.99 canadain at Viciouscycle.ca has any one ever seen one of these or used one of these it it a universal fit.
Think you'd be a lot better off carry extra fuel in some kind of saddlebags.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #15308
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 108
Hi, quick question. I have the BRP sub mount Scotts stabilizer. Will the 6.3 gal. Acerbis tank fit?
galland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #15309
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Okay, I've finally gotten in touch with the guy I'm planning to buy this XR650R tomorrow from. Here's the details on it. Baja kit with aftermarket headlight, turn signals, passenger foot pegs, and bigger tank. Hand guards, fat handlebars, big gun exhaust. And supposedly rejetted for the exhaust. Just wanted everyone's opinion on this bike. 2002 XR650R in beautiful condition, plated, dirt tires. It has a dent in front rim but he said it doesn't effect the bike, this seems to be only "problem" with it, if it is indeed a problem. He said it takes 6-7 kicks to start it when it's cold outside, 3 on a warm day, 1 after it's run any amount of time. $2,250 sound good for this bike?

Here's a photo of it, I've not seen it in person yet.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #15310
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothride View Post
i use these if i need to carry fuel as i have a 28 ltr tank on already plus the bags gives me 52 ltrs ....2x 12ltr bladders in a custom bag hangs over the tank

best solution yet to carry exta fuel

then on the bike
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #15311
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
Okay, I've finally gotten in touch with the guy I'm planning to buy this XR650R tomorrow from. Here's the details on it. Baja kit with aftermarket headlight, turn signals, passenger foot pegs, and bigger tank. Hand guards, fat handlebars, big gun exhaust. And supposedly rejetted for the exhaust. Just wanted everyone's opinion on this bike. 2002 XR650R in beautiful condition, plated, dirt tires. It has a dent in front rim but he said it doesn't effect the bike, this seems to be only "problem" with it, if it is indeed a problem. He said it takes 6-7 kicks to start it when it's cold outside, 3 on a warm day, 1 after it's run any amount of time. $2,250 sound good for this bike?

Around here in colorado it would definitely sell for that. One sorted like that would be listed at 3k plus. what they sell for is any ones guess. but this looks like a great deal, does'nt looked used and abused.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #15312
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 108
Quote:

Definitely in the ballpark. Don't like where the dent is in the rim. I'd fix that. Very nice one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #15313
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Okay, I've finally gotten in touch with the guy I'm planning to buy this XR650R tomorrow from. He said it takes 6-7 kicks to start it when it's cold outside, 3 on a warm day, 1 after it's run any amount of time. $2,250 sound good for this bike?
If mechanically sound, then that is a steal.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #15314
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
If mechanically sound, then that is a steal.
Well here's hoping. I go get it tomorrow. I can't wait to put it on these gravel tank trails in the national forest I live in. Which reminds me, I should buy some new body armor tomorrow.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #15315
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 347
Super Moto Question

Had an 01 and sold it......... BIG MISTAKE!
Just picked up a 2000 completely unmolested bike that happen to come with a set of CR500 hubs laced for super moto complete with tires, discs and caliper re locator but no sprocket.

What would be an appropriate rear to run off the 14 tooth counter for some general street fun when the dirt tires are "resting"?

Happy to have an XRR again