Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #211
Josh G
n00b

Oddometer: 1

I picked up this fine little lady two days ago for a pretty good price, registered and running, haven't done anything to her yet except add the milk crate - it's ugly but being able to carry things will be a god send. Needs a new headlight globe, and 2 new rear indicator stalks as the current ones are broken and held on by tape (ordered those today), and also a battery. Hopefully I can grab the battery and globe tomorrow from the local Honda dealer.

Currently unlicenced, but have my test scheduled for tomorrow and then I'll be able to ride - have only ridden road bikes a few times, so this should provide a bit of fun around town!
Josh G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #212
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
My 86 CT110

Noob here and thought I'd post my CT, other ride is a XT225 and the wife has a Zuma that just sits.

Before I added the XR tank and the wife on her 75K6 above Valley of the gods on the Moki dugway

tuna101 screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 08:36 AM Reason: add more
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #213
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 236
Time to post mine here as well.
77 Trail 90. 8,000 miles, I got it from the original owner.....for FREE!
Had 5,000 on it when I got it. I put another 3k on it over the last
two summers. All original, unrestored.
P.S. Since this pic, I have added crash bars and front luggage rack
from Dr ATV.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #214
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
I am really wanting one of these old girls now for low impact trail riding. I have a Road King for covering distances, but the CT90/110 keeps popping back into mind.
In my youth I had a "mini-trail 50" and a "trail 70" before moving up to "real" motorcycles like Kawasaki 125 enduro.
My question for those of you riding them...Are they as tough as I'm remembering or is it just nostalgia on my part?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #215
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
They are tough but they have their problems. The main weak point is the antique 6V electrical system with no voltage regulator and an ignition system that requires a charged battery to run, although the later model 110s will run without a battery. Another weak point is the passages in the carbs are so small that they clog with the tiniest particle that would go right through a larger carb. The frame, wheels, etc., are super strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
I am really wanting one of these old girls now for low impact trail riding. I have a Road King for covering distances, but the CT90/110 keeps popping back into mind.
In my youth I had a "mini-trail 50" and a "trail 70" before moving up to "real" motorcycles like Kawasaki 125 enduro.
My question for those of you riding them...Are they as tough as I'm remembering or is it just nostalgia on my part?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #216
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Give me 6 months...

A good friend and Honda step through guru gifted me this '64 ct-200 chassis. Been collecting parts a bit at a time. Using an xr100 front and a Lifan 125 power plant.

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #217
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
I have a CT90...like you in my youth I had a Trail 70. The CT-90 is a classic of great design, materials, and construction. Easy to work on and parts largely available via several sources. My family and I enjoy ours very much, we use it on our property, the area and roads around our house, and take it as a bumper bike on many RV trips. I have introduced several folks to riding via the CT-90. The dual range transmission is fantastic. Ours is titled and tagged for street use. I vote "reliable and tough"...within reason.

Shortcomings are as mentioned...the 6vt system, brakes, engine are all dated. The power of the 90/110 cc engine at one time was considered "ok"...the reality today is most of us are a lot heaver than when we were 13 and these things are slow....slow to speed, slow to stop, and were often riding them "a bit" heaver than the ideal weight as intended by Honda.

I love the Honda CT series...and I enjoy mine as a hobby bike. I honestly love this bike, the fun and all the memories. As a play/hobby bike...it is great.

If I was buying a bike to do serious miles, dual sport suspension, good lighting, carry 200# pounds, go at least 55/65mph...I would choose another bike. We have a DR200, and it does all the above. Similar offerings: XT225, KLR250, the bike with the huge tires that I can't remember right now.

As it is...I have a couple of MC's and one is the CT90...and it's a blast!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #218
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
The Honda Trail 90 crossing America

With the $120 harbor Frieght reciever hauler I made trips both directions across America. The CT 90 rode well and I got the best gas milage I have ever received on the old Mazda MPV 23.5 mpg. The Honda Trail 90 is a 1971, 41 years old. With tinkering about it I runs remarkable well. Part of the fun is returning a fine old motorcycle into useful service again. My hat is off to all you fine folks who care enough to see life in what others have cast off and stored in barns and sheds.

My latest upgrade was to have the seat recovered.

windburn screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 12:55 PM
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #219
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,271
a friend of mine called me and asked if i could get his dads old bike running, it has been sitting in the back of the garage for somewhere near 40 years

his mom bought it for his dad to go hunting on but he didnt like it so it just sat

this should be interesting

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #220
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 540
Nice find...CT90/110: Manual & Parts

Griz...that is a nice find! Good luck with it. Get it running, and tag up a photo!

Just as a pointer for those who find/buy a old CT:

* A parts source I've used and can recommend: http://dratv.com/

* A manual that has helped me: http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=...gles+1965-1999

* Owners manual for an Aussie 110, many aspects are the same: http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...CT110-2005.pdf

* CT site: http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #221
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 410

One of my two, behind the Ossa next to the NX. If you look hard, there is a CT70H behind it, and another CT90 behind the lineup the 70 is in...

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #222
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
I have a CT90...like you in my youth I had a Trail 70. The CT-90 is a classic of great design, materials, and construction. Easy to work on and parts largely available via several sources. My family and I enjoy ours very much, we use it on our property, the area and roads around our house, and take it as a bumper bike on many RV trips. I have introduced several folks to riding via the CT-90. The dual range transmission is fantastic. Ours is titled and tagged for street use. I vote "reliable and tough"...within reason.

Shortcomings are as mentioned...the 6vt system, brakes, engine are all dated. The power of the 90/110 cc engine at one time was considered "ok"...the reality today is most of us are a lot heaver than when we were 13 and these things are slow....slow to speed, slow to stop, and were often riding them "a bit" heaver than the ideal weight as intended by Honda.

I love the Honda CT series...and I enjoy mine as a hobby bike. I honestly love this bike, the fun and all the memories. As a play/hobby bike...it is great.

If I was buying a bike to do serious miles, dual sport suspension, good lighting, carry 200# pounds, go at least 55/65mph...I would choose another bike. We have a DR200, and it does all the above. Similar offerings: XT225, KLR250, the bike with the huge tires that I can't remember right now.

As it is...I have a couple of MC's and one is the CT90...and it's a blast!
Good intel on the CT when/if I find one it will be strictly for play on the trails behind my house and the occasional beer run a mile away.
A friend of mine has two pretty nice ones that he does not ride and are collecting dust in his store room He's a hoarder and I haven't managed to talk him out of them yet.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #223
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I finally picked one up. It's a 1968 K0 with a few parts missing. The forks are bent, motor's trash, no muffler or seat
but I love it! I'm going to have fun fixing it up! I got it for $100...

MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #224
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
http://

My 86 CT110
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #225
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
i debated buying that one... from the craigslist photos it looked like they jumped it off a cliff! but for that price you cant lose. just be sure to scrutinize the frame and welds for cracks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRandy123 View Post
I finally picked one up. It's a 1968 K0 with a few parts missing. The forks are bent, motor's trash, no muffler or seat
but I love it! I'm going to have fun fixing it up! I got it for $100...

PTC is offline   Reply With Quote