User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
duckboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
TPMS accuracy??

I thought my air gauge were accurate all this time until I got my '12 gs triple blk with TPMS. Now it looks like my air pressure gauges have been short (gives a value greater than the TPMS) by 2-3 psi. anyone known how accurate the TPMS is to begin with?
homedepot platinum card
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
daesimps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Remember that the TPMS gives a temperature calibrated reading. It compensates for the temperature of the air and gives you the what the pressure would be at 20 Degrees C (since these are the reference pressures/temperatures in the manual).

Your normal gauge will not do this and gives you the pressure of the tyres at the current temperature.
daesimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
rmarmbruster
Roba

Oddometer: 153
Not trying to be a clever but you can check your tyre pressure gauge against the TPMS: (P1*V1/T1)=(P2*V2/T2). Obtaining the tyre temp may be the challenge but I can think of a couple of ways, loose some air onto a mercury bulb thermometer and calculate using both pressures to see if it is the same region.

I could be fun figuring this one out.

Cheers

Rob A
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Ok, without going into all the scientific calculations, what is the best approach to reading your pressure, assuming you have both? I'm thinking just go with whatever the air gauge says and realize the TPMS will show temp. related calculations. My purpose would be to make sure I'm not losing air while traveling. This can be done with the TPMS, just by being able to monitor constantly, along with the alarm light, even if it doesn't agree with the standard air gauge because of temperature.

I've been strongly considering adding a TPMS to my bike. My BMW dealer caries the Orange brand. Is there any consensus which one is best or most preferred? I know there have been other threads about this but it's been awhile and some brands have discontinued motorcycle applications and/or gone out of business. Are there any that will actually show that your pressure is low before you get rolling?
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridestrong View Post
. Are there any that will actually show that your pressure is low before you get rolling?

Usually NO. It is the centripital force of rotation that turns on the sending units. Other wise they would be transmitting data (and consuming battery power) when parked.

I have heard good things about the Orange TPMS but thought they too had gone under, maybe just some bad info (yup bad info they are still out there). I run the older SmarTire system on both bikes but it is getting harder to find transmitters.
K4AN
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
sbk12rs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I think these tpm's are a silly " GADGET " for the yuppie rider that just needs gadgets .

AND to make these silly posts .

just sayin .........

Flame away yuppie riders
sbk12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk12rs View Post
I think these tpm's are a silly " GADGET " for the yuppie rider that just needs gadgets .

just sayin .........

Flame away yuppie riders
I would have to disagree. Yes, they are another "gadget", but a useful one. After a 5500 mile trip out west using Orange Electronic tpms system, it was nice being able to see tire pressures at a glance. I carried my manual guage with me as well and found after a few times of double-checking the tpms that it was redundant. The Orange Electronic system display changes from blue to red when either the tire pressure or temp go outside the limits you set. Kind of like the big red "OIL" light the stock and drag car drivers use on their steering columns to warn them of low oil pressure. So I didn't have to actually have to see the numerical readout, just the color change to get my attention. I didn't have any tire troubles while on my trip but if I had a puncture or a slow leak I would have been made aware of it long before it could cause trouble (catastrophic failures tend to make themselves know immediately). So while it might seem like one of those frivilous gadgets people add onto their motorcycles, I feel it is as useful as extra driving lights, a voltmeter, or a side stand foot enlarger.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Safety gadget

My bike came with the OEM yuppie device.

Last summer, 2-1/2 weeks on the road, ability to check air pressure many times a day, comparing with daily "manual" gauge-check. Priceless.

Daily commute, ability to easily check air pressure every morning and evening. Priceless.

Recognizing the differences between what's displayed on the computer and the air gauge. Enlightening.

Every time I ride the bike... I check my tires. I just love this yuppie device.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,848
I guess you can add TPMS to ABS as a "yuppie device". Whatever. When I'm two-up with either of my kids or my wife it is a great thing to be able to take a quick look down and see what the pressures are. TPMS has saved me from at least one "oh-shit" moment; on the CDT in southern Montana out in the middle of bleeping noplace -- the warning light caught my attention (at a higher-than-I-should-have-been-riding-speed) and allowed me to get slowed down well before the tire completely deflated.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
I don't know if I would have chose TPMS but the bike was equipped that way when I bought it. Having it is quite useful. Being able to check the pressure on the fly when there is a question is quite handy.

Those who would never have it better rethink that. It is only a matter of time before it is law like on cars.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

just sayin .........

Flame away yuppie riders

Saved my ass, once! Perhaps your ass doesn't need saving...

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

My point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
I guess you can add TPMS to ABS as a "yuppie device". Whatever. When I'm two-up with either of my kids or my wife it is a great thing to be able to take a quick look down and see what the pressures are. TPMS has saved me from at least one "oh-shit" moment; on the CDT in southern Montana out in the middle of bleeping noplace -- the warning light caught my attention (at a higher-than-I-should-have-been-riding-speed) and allowed me to get slowed down well before the tire completely deflated.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I have had 3 rear flats on my 09 GSA in 98,000 miles. It is fantastic when the warning light comes on and you can pull over and check it out before you ruin a tire, wheel or your ass. Once I was fully loaded with camping gear on a dirt road. It is much easier to put that loaded big boy on the center stand when there is still some air in it. Then after you plug it you can monitor it to make sure it is holding pressure.
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
TPMS exists because a few years ago Ford Explorers with Firestone tires experienced an inordinate number of rollover accidents.

The response was the Federal requirement that TPMS systems be fitted on all 2007-on production cars sold in the USA.

And you can now optionally have it on some BMW motorcycles.

The purpose of the systems is to warn of dangerously low tire pressures.

Their purpose is not really to provide a readout of your tire pressure, but instead notification that it's significantly lower than desired.

Anything to do with "yuppieness" is inane at best, but then consider the source ... pee pee problems being of no interest here.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

let's not feed that troll anymore

sbk12rs got the reaction he wanted and is probably having a wank about it right now.