Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #16
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,306
San Carlos,,,

howdy,,,
i see you are living ''the dream'',,,those pics just gave me the itch to head down there my self,,have friends from denver who winter just up the coast from San Carlos,,,they have their 28' sailboat in dry storage at the marina,,,

they have a 99 year lease on a little plot of land on top of a sand dune in El Colarado of all places,,,the big ''red rock''can be seen for quite a way out to sea...i try to head down and visit/sail with them at least once in awhile these days,,,in fact i feel the itch coming on big time especially eating at that restaurant in the pic...been there n done that,,de ja vu..

you keep going,,nice n easy,,,
earlier this afternoon i had looked my ol beast over n wondered should i just split now,,cuz i know [[i KNOW] where it's waaaay warmer than here,,

keep it upright and thanks for the attaboys,,,i shared em with all who helped ya...it is my intention to turn the wheel works into a meca and oasis for all you adventurers...little by little,,,

my casa es su casa,,,to bad i /we didn't get to spend more time with each other.
salud!!!

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 314
Alamos to Mazatlan

So I was on the road about 830 from Alamos. I didn't need more than a night there. Fun and very scenic but I wanted to get on the move. Stopped at Aduana. There is a church there with a cactus growing out the side of it. Great fun little road running into Aduana also.

The Church

Very crooked picture but I liked the light.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Cool Bridge

Small Plaza

Not a lot of pics this day. I have ridden through some of this area before and was just enjoying the ride. So much so I decided that I would stay a little south of Culiacan. Just out of the town a little bit so I don't have to deal with the city in the am. I went a little to far south and kept waiting for a hotel to pop and nothing!! Pulled over on the side of the road and gave a quick look. Hmmm not really any hotels between Culiacan and Mazatlan. Guess I am going to have a big day. Off I go!!! Pulled into Mazatlan right at sunset. 2 days hanging here then a short ride to San Blas followed by 3 nights in Sayulita.
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
bdx
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Question

What is your plan to get from Panama into Columbia? Will you take a boat, ferry, or will you brave a jungle road?

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
What is your plan to get from Panama into Columbia? Will you take a boat, ferry, or will you brave a jungle road?
I'm sure many here will let you know there is not a "Road" from Panama to Columbia. The Darien Gap is not moto friendly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
I don't believe there is Ferry service either. I know there was talk of one but it fell through. Air freight or a container or maybe a boat.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Air freight unless a boat a falls into place. There is not a ferry but people willing to provide the service of transporting person and moto.

The Stathlett(spelling) aka the steel rat and Fritz the Cat are two that you will see mentioned in the moto community. Due to time and ease I am 90% sure that I doing air freight. I also have a "guy" that is a friend of a friend in the import biz in Colombia handling it. All true no joking at all. Waiting to hear back

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Mazatlan was fun and a cool place to hang out. Especially since I don’t usually like the touristy places and busy ones at that. It was just a chill big beach town. Spent the day walking the beach swimming and checking out the resorts. You can stay just across the street from the beach and then go hang out by the pool at any of the nice hotels. Nobody really seemed to mind. Beer was 2 for the price of one everywhere. So every time I wanted just A BEER, I got two. So an afternoon of that with beach time and checking out some NFL scores and the day was gone. Went to Joe’s Oyster Bar that night for an app and more 2 for 1 beers and the place was hoping on a Sunday!

Good times in Maz. I could spend more time there. There is an odd scene though. There are brand new amazing resorts right next to huge abandon resorts. Hard for me to believe that it is all a function of economy when more resorts are being built. One guy told me a drug boss owned one (Balboa Resort) and got shot or went to jail. Not sure which with the language barrier. I also don’t know if it’s the truth or just what he believed. I walked around the abandon Balboa Resort and it was very creepy. Beds made and rooms ready to be checked into with doors ajar and smashed windows.

Stayed in a really inexpensive place my first night and nice people that operated it but I needed a better bed and more importantly better internet connection. Interesting idea for luke warm water!

And they have VIP parking

Neat car in Maz

Who it this ...

Tough to beat this

Maz Castle. Hotel I think

Pics dont show it but this entire property is abandon. Including tall building in the back ground.

More beach front contradiction

On the wall in the hallway of my first hotel. I dont know what to say but

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! I have ordered a print and can get a bulk discount for those of you interested!!

Off to San Blas tomorrow. Since it is not that long of a ride I decided to get creative with the route. This GS thing is made for off road right!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
The Stathlett(spelling) aka the steel rat and Fritz the Cat are two that you will see mentioned in the moto community.
FYI Fritz the Cat sank in June, that sort of narrows your options a bit....
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #24
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

New ADV route from Maz to San Blas

Knowing that Maz to San Blas was a short ride and that San Blas is a small melow town. I thought to myself what better way to spend the day than some solo off road research.

My idea was to head to the coast at Tecuala then hook left and connect to San Blas through Santa Cruz. Guji Roji says I can do it and BiCi maps isn't totally disagreeing. Off I go and I think that things are looking pretty good. I take a right off the highway and cruise for 30 min or so and there is my nice paved left turn. Oh I got this! After about 15 or 20 min the road starts to turn to dirt and broken pavement. This is exactly what I am looking for. I go through the last small town right when school is getting out. Kids and adults stare at me like what is the dude doing? And where does he think he is going? I know this look in any language because I have been getting it my entire life.

The road is now all dirt, not great and congested with cows. No pictures because I focused on not dropping my bike in the very soft sand and trying to see through the sweat pouring into my eyes!! I start to get pretty far out there and now I am questioning my decision making. Another common theme in my life. Two amigos in a beat up old pick come from the direction I am headed. Great I must be able to make it. But I will ask in my very weak Spanish to give these guys a god chuckle anyway. They say no bueno lots of other words and lots more other other words and no bueno again. Okay some more words and now the reason!! Canal with no bridge!! Know what the word for canal in Spanish is? Canal!!! I just increased my vocab! Had I looked at google maps I would have known this.

But a lesson learned another cool experience and helpful people out in the middle of no where. People seem very willing to help Loco Gringo on Grande Moto in a ridiculous amount of gear. Works for me.

Okay time to turn around. This is the one pic I took on my way back to the highway. It looks like San Blas but it is North on the same river.

By the time I get to San Blas I am pretty sure I have lost 20% off my body weight in sweat. Drank 4 liters of water and still was dying. Blow budget and go for super nice hotel with pool? Or...never mind the or that pool had my name all over it!!

Said Oasis!

San Blas Cathedral at night

One of my favorite pics of this trip so far

Since I went for the nice hotel I have a great internet connection and decide to lurk here on ADV rider in the Is Mexico Safe(aka your daily gossip column). I check to see if there are any big developments in the area I am in or going to next. Big discussion TVIP and 30 or 180 day stuff. Another rider only got a 30 day and didn't know until he got to the southern border of Mex. He lost his $400 deposit and hassle at the border. I think what a bummer and decide I will check my paper work. OH SHIT!!! I only have a 30 day TVIP and catch a plane form PV back to AK for my last 2 weeks of work in 4 days!!! My flight lands back in PV on the 30th and my TVIP expires on the 29th. My bike is pretty sweet but I haven't found the time travel button yet! I will call BMW tech support after I am done freaking out!!! Time to make a new plan!!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Thanks Wood. I am for sure getting a big piece of my dream!!

Nice and easy? The new tires and rims encourage the exact opposite!!

I will bug you guys aging in the future when I come back through CO in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
howdy,,,
i see you are living ''the dream'',,,those pics just gave me the itch to head down there my self,,have friends from denver who winter just up the coast from San Carlos,,,they have their 28' sailboat in dry storage at the marina,,,

they have a 99 year lease on a little plot of land on top of a sand dune in El Colarado of all places,,,the big ''red rock''can be seen for quite a way out to sea...i try to head down and visit/sail with them at least once in awhile these days,,,in fact i feel the itch coming on big time especially eating at that restaurant in the pic...been there n done that,,de ja vu..

you keep going,,nice n easy,,,
earlier this afternoon i had looked my ol beast over n wondered should i just split now,,cuz i know [[i KNOW] where it's waaaay warmer than here,,

keep it upright and thanks for the attaboys,,,i shared em with all who helped ya...it is my intention to turn the wheel works into a meca and oasis for all you adventurers...little by little,,,

my casa es su casa,,,to bad i /we didn't get to spend more time with each other.
salud!!!

woody
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
roadmagnet
roadmagnet

Oddometer: 9
I'm following your thread AK.
Have a safe ride and keep posting!
roadmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

A day in PV to handle the paper work issue

I think about my dilemma and get some advice from other ADV riders. The prevailing advice is ride back to the US/Mexico border and get it handled. Not really an option given my schedule with flights and all. I slowly pack my stuff up in San Blas and think pool side. I have googled and gotten emails on INM(Immigration) Offices, US Consulate(satellite office) and there is actually an Aduana in PV. I decide that I am going to take the day and just get it all figured out. With some patience and persistence this will all work out.

I even went armed with a fake story about a sick relative in AK and I had to fly back for an emergency. Thank you google translate. I will save everyone the pain of the entire story. The short version is after a day and four different offices. No one could do anything. Ran across some nice understanding people and some not so nice people, one lady specifically at the 2nd INM office. I am down to 2 options. 1. Get back to Mexico earlier 2. Let permit expire and apply for a 5 day travel pass. Takes 2-3 days to get is and it was vague as to how it all worked. The process had some gaps. Not making it to the border causes me to lose $400 bucks and I assume a big hassle. I was also told that if your TVIP is not valid than your insurance is not valid. Lastly they(Mexico Legal Types) can seize your bike. haven't heard of it happening but I don't like the sounds of it!!

I swallowed my pride and called and asked my boss for another favor, you know on top of the leave of absence. I am now fly back to PV on the 25(late afternoon) and start to ride on the 26. That gives me 3 days to do just over 1200 miles and make it to the Guatemala border.

This should be interesting...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Sayulita

I did enjoy a couple of days in Sayulita surfing and just chilling knowing there was nothing left I could do on the paper work front except change my flight back to PV to an earlier date.

This is the ride from San Blas to Sayulita. If you ever do that ride be sure not to go back to the highway. Take the coastal route. It is great.

How can I worry about paper work with views like this...

and this

I met a really nice couple from Canada(Bernie and Linda) that has done a lot of touring around Mexico and also ridden to Panama.
Here is the VIP parking

A nice hotel with great owners and guests. I cant remember the name but I know where it is. There is small pool to cool off in and a real sense of community at the hotel.

The first night I was there they had a big steak dinner and wouldn't take no for an answer. It was great!!

Some of the crew.

I did the dishes to make an attempt at pulling my weight. A great meal with great company.
Sayulita is fun and friendly town. It is pricey by Mexico standards but it is very chill and safe. A great surf break too. I have been here twice and enjoyed my time here a lot.

Off to Bodegas Vallarta to store the bike and then to the airport.
Back in just over 2 weeks for a hard ride to Guatemala.

BTW I timed this report so I am now back on the road and can give you the ride to Guatemala in real time.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
DAVISH
Mafi Mitlo !!

Oddometer: 3
You're my first reply since I joined !!!

Hi there Smitty,

I plan on making a road trip from NYC to Buenos Aires (via Chile), and then up the eastern coast of S.A. As a result I've discovered this site to study others experience. Yours is the first I'm responding to, since I joined yesterday. You're welcome !! (Oh, The glory, honor, and pride you must be feeling as you read this !!!).

Anyway, I'm impressed with your trip, and even more impressed with your doing it alone. You're brave! I look forward to following your thread. I am also trying to figure out how long I will need to plan my trip. Thanks for your input, and keep it up !!

Thanks, David.
DAVISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Thanks David.

I was planning for a while before I found this website but it has helped me a ton. There are a lot of people out there doing similar trips that I have gained a lot of knowledge from. I would say this website gave me the final kick in the ass and confidence to go it alone.

I do the report for family and friends but also to pass along knowledge to other riders. This website and other riders helped me a lot and I feel I should pay it back by doing the same.

Hit me up with any specific questions. I am learning stuff everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVISH View Post
Hi there Smitty,

I plan on making a road trip from NYC to Buenos Aires (via Chile), and then up the eastern coast of S.A. As a result I've discovered this site to study others experience. Yours is the first I'm responding to, since I joined yesterday. You're welcome !! (Oh, The glory, honor, and pride you must be feeling as you read this !!!).

Anyway, I'm impressed with your trip, and even more impressed with your doing it alone. You're brave! I look forward to following your thread. I am also trying to figure out how long I will need to plan my trip. Thanks for your input, and keep it up !!

Thanks, David.