Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #406
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Cowboy in the Jungle

Jimmy Buffett wrote a great song "Cowboy in the Jungle"

It's about a Cowboy who rides to Peru to ride with the Gauchos.

He gets stuck in Portobello when his money all runs out.........

I never went to town yesterday, Too damn hot!

Marshall and Jason went in a cab and it turns out the bank machine was out of money, the locals tell us it's a regular occurance. (Scotiabank) If you work at Scotiabank by any chance.....they need a second machine in Peurto Angel

In anycase I was thinking you could substitute Biker for Cowboy and Zipolite for Portobello it's pronounced (Zee po LEE tay) and you would have my situation.

It's all good

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #407
Kedgi OP
Banned

Rats

Rats!

I had my morning all planned out. I was going to post some more Zipolite pictures but I just discovered that although my computer was plgged in all night it did not charge. They light switch and the plug are on the same circut and I think when you turn the light out you turn the plug off too.

I'm going to post what I can
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #408
Kedgi OP
Banned

Zipolite Pictures

Marshall

Bill Kurt and Stu ( we met them at the bar, they all hang out down here regularly. Very nice guys!

Hilda, who owns the little bar, she's absolutely sweet. Her husband Kevin is a real nice guy too. I wish i had his picture.

Aguavero!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #409
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
.... I've always wanted to circumnavigate Lake Superior. That road from Thunder Bay down to Duluth looks awesome....
If you ride around the Big Lake, do give me a shout. Lots of history and also a few out of the way vistas and waterfalls. The vistas on the highway from the Soo to Thunder Bay and then south to Duluth are great by themselves. If you are bored some night and want to check out this area from the local DS riders perspectives: "Northern Riders Sign In" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183099 and "Northeast Minnesota" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681492

I'm enjoying your report. Thanks so much for the time and effort you put in to this! My wife authorized a SA trip for me, or maybe she will come too. Say no more! The scrimping/saving is in process.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #410
Kedgi OP
Banned

More

Simba

Poor simba was bitten by a big dog recently and has a big scar on her back. She's just the nicest little dog. First day I was here I patted her and she put her head right in my lap.

Jason helping Andrea's boys mend a net. Jason fishes in Alaska in the Summers

A rare Chica on the beach. The beach doesn't get used much, midday, too friggen hot! Mornings and evenings there are more people on the beach

Marshall took this picture.

I've got more to share, pictures of the Guys from Montreal and their bikes. and Mike from Idaho but the power issue is preventing any further writing or posting at the moment.....stay tuned

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 10:08 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #411
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
If you ride around the Big Lake, do give me a shout. Lots of history and also a few out of the way vistas and waterfalls. The vistas on the highway from the Soo to Thunder Bay and then south to Duluth are great by themselves. If you are bored some night and want to check out this area from the local DS riders perspectives: "Northern Riders Sign In" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183099 and "Northeast Minnesota" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681492

I'm enjoying your report. Thanks so much for the time and effort you put in to this! My wife authorized a SA trip for me, or maybe she will come too. Say no more! The scrimping/saving is in process.
Thanks Mike, that's good to know.

I flew out of Toronto to Edmonton one evening many years ago. As a air traffic controller, I was able to sit up front with the pilots, in the jump seat.. The sun was setting as we flew over Thunder Bay and we could see that road. The pilot said to me, he had always wanted to drive that road. Ever since that flight, me too!

If I do head that way, I'll be sure to get in touch, thanks

Dwight
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #412
Kedgi OP
Banned

Portchutla

Andreas is up and about now. I told him I forgot to plug my computer in and he got me an extension cord and a cup of Cafe!

I can post!

Stand by.......
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #413
Kedgi OP
Banned

More pics from Zipolite

Here are a few more pictures from Zipolite

Just to wet your appetite, Angele did a quick search for flights, Moncton (the Maritimes are always very expensive to fly out of) to Huatulco (the nearest airport) is $900 in January and February, which is when you want to get out of Canada if you're like me.

I asked about those new beach front Cabanas on stilts I posted the picture of, the locals think they are $15/night.

The internet is very slow today and my pictures are slow to upload to Smugmug but here they are as they load, not necessarily the order I would choose to put them in

Montreal bikes

The Bar

It's name is the Spanish word for hummingbird. Can't remember what that is???

This is what it's like to walk in the "downtown" such as it is, and look out to the beach

Like a Corona Commercial

Jason, just chillin'

The bar has a room with a view you can crash in if you get too drunk to walk down the beach (haven't had to use that, but came close one night.

One of many cool beach houses

Judy, from Vancouver, who works at the bar

Simba

Mehai and Pawel

The Montreal inmates

Chatted with this nice guy from Vancouver in the bar, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. Jason was talking to him too and he thinks his name is Angelo. Very nice guy in any case! We have met so many people down here it gets tough to remember all the names.

I love all the hand painted signs you see down here. I took a course in Sign Design and hand lettering once and I appreciate the work that goes into them. There are a lot of good sign painters in Mexico. You hardly ever see a hand painted sign in Canada anymore. It's all computer generated.

This may be why my posting here is a little messed up.

At the bar, you can pull up a hammock and watch a smoldering Mexican sunset slide slowly into the Azure Pacific.

During the hottest part of the day even the dogs find a place to Chill in the shade

More hand painted signage

The largest building in the downtown core, an internet cafe.

Beachfront property

These little sand crabs play a life and death game with the surf. Can they ever run! I waited a few minutes for this little guy to come out of his hole. He knew I was there, but he finally came out.

Someone has just finished constructing this new Condo complex on the beach. It's so new there are only a couple units that appear to be occupied. The locals are not so happy about the development. If I lived here I wouldn't be happy either. It really doesn't fit in.

Mike from Idaho, who told me he was down here by himself on an older BMW GS on his way to Argentina

What can I say?......Zipolite

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 09:21 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #414
Kedgi OP
Banned

I want to hear from my readers

Guys

I would like you to consider this. I want to hear from my readers. When I leave Zipolite tomorrow I will go back into the Spanish (void) I go days on end and can't talk to anyone. To steal a great line from Crashmaster on this site. No Fumar Espanol ( I don't smoke Spanish.)

Give me a few notes to read when I get settled with WiFi again, I'd really appreciate it.

Headed towards San Cristobal de las Casas tomorrow. I have to tear myself away from Zipolite. I mean that. I don't ever in my life remember so not wanting to leave a place.

If I get a lot I can't guarantee I'll respond to them all, but I like you want something good to read!

Thanks

Dwight
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #415
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
That's ccol man. I've always wanted to circumnavigate Lake Superior. That road from Thunder Bay down to Duluth looks awesome. I think bikes are a personal choice, there is no "right" answer. I like the BMW 800 but I like the new Yamaha Super Tenere too, I like trusty the KLR too. Never had a bike I rode so much. It's awesome

$8/night for this beach is unbelievable. There are no better bargains that I know of.

If you want to come down here Peurto Escondito airport is just north of here and Huatulco Airport is just south of here.

Come to the Salmastro and get a room from Andreas, tell him Dwight sent you! You might even see me here, I'm coming back.

Kedgi
Don't forget you have a friend with a Yamaha hook up if you go for a Super Tenere in the future!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #416
DaytonaMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Excellent Ride Report!!

Per your request...........

Hello Dwight. I just finished the 140 pages of Vinny's No Fumar Espanol and was browsing the site for the next epic adventure to hitch my wagon to so I could live vicariously through someone else for a while. Really glad I found yours. You write a great report and your photos are excellent . Thanks for taking the time to share the experience. If you find yourself near Villavicencio, Colombia I have a hammock or a couch, very secure bike parking and a cat that you are more than welcome to. Its the road less traveled here but we are on the edge of the Andes with the very warm weather you seem to like. Its about a 3 to 4 hour ride south out of Bogota but the scenery and the small towns dotting the landscape along the way are beautiful. FYI I dont speak Spanish either and I have lived here since January. Villavicencio is a pretty good sized town but well off the tourist trail so many people are shocked to hear and see a Gringo. Ive had people follow me around stores listening to me talk to my son and lots of people look, point and whisper. One of my Gringo friends said he kind of feels like a celebrity. On the other hand my 5 year old is now fluent in Spanish. I guess like they say its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. My vocabulary is huge but I just cant seem to be able to put all those words into a sentence. I'm subscribed so you are now stuck with me, Ride safe and keep the pictures flowing!!
DaytonaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #417
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Hey Dwight,

Absolutely lovin' your RR, Zipolite looks like paradise, I've just made it one of my bucket list places to go hang out.

Where you a low level or high level guy at YQM? I flew a Dash with Air Nova for a longtime, now I'm flying the Falcon 2000 and Citation 680 for the Irving Air Force, we may have spoke to each other. Mike Oxner is a friend of mine in QM, I did a ride with him and few more ATC guys a couple of years ago.

Safe travels, looking forward to more great pictures and words.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #418
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Two years ago I made an error of circling Lake Superior in October. When a cold front greeted me at Thunder Bay and left ice on my Suzuki Bandit I knew why southern people should not go to Canada in the Fall. I could not wait to turn the corner and get myself back to the Warmer South.
Enjoying your report and pictures. I always wondered how a guy that knows no Spanish and even trying to take lessons , forgets words in a few hours. Would get along in Mexico or even further south.
Keep it coming and hang tuff.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #419
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hi Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
Don't forget you have a friend with a Yamaha hook up if you go for a Super Tenere in the future!

Hi Ray

I sat on a new Tenere at the dealership back in Corpus Christi. Very nice bike indeed. Could have used it today in places. Wide open smooth roads across the plateau but WINDY! Man am I tired tonight. I have some pictures I'll download in a few minutes.

Nice to hear from you!

Dwight
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #420
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
Per your request...........

Hello Dwight. I just finished the 140 pages of Vinny's No Fumar Espanol and was browsing the site for the next epic adventure to hitch my wagon to so I could live vicariously through someone else for a while. Really glad I found yours. You write a great report and your photos are excellent . Thanks for taking the time to share the experience. If you find yourself near Villavicencio, Colombia I have a hammock or a couch, very secure bike parking and a cat that you are more than welcome to. Its the road less traveled here but we are on the edge of the Andes with the very warm weather you seem to like. Its about a 3 to 4 hour ride south out of Bogota but the scenery and the small towns dotting the landscape along the way are beautiful. FYI I dont speak Spanish either and I have lived here since January. Villavicencio is a pretty good sized town but well off the tourist trail so many people are shocked to hear and see a Gringo. Ive had people follow me around stores listening to me talk to my son and lots of people look, point and whisper. One of my Gringo friends said he kind of feels like a celebrity. On the other hand my 5 year old is now fluent in Spanish. I guess like they say its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. My vocabulary is huge but I just cant seem to be able to put all those words into a sentence. I'm subscribed so you are now stuck with me, Ride safe and keep the pictures flowing!!
What a wonderful offer. I'm going to have to look into where you are and see how that works out. It sounds like fun. I love cats and I picked up little Gerry yesterday afternoon when I came back from the ride to town, and he finally purred.

It amazes me how easily kids pick up language. Little Liam and Melody that live next door, at home, talk to Angele in French and me in English like it's nothing.

I was sure getting looks this evening when I rolled into this little town, Arriaga, Chiapas. No doubt everyone was wondering what I'm doing here. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a rail siding right in town with about 15 boxcars and there were about 100 people on top of each car. So sad and so dangerous for them.

I can ask for a few things in Spanish and I get buy but I miss being able to really talk to people and answer their bike questions etc. I am getting the hang of the common questions, where you from? where you going? How big is the bike? how many cylinders etc.

I am like you in French, I have a good vocabulary but I cannot put ti all together. I understand more than I ever speak.

Thanks You again for your wonderful offer

Kedgi