Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #121
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'll second that, I've had a fairly even mix of tube and tubeless bikes, it's just not that much of an issue.

I'll give up on it here, since I have obviously made my point. But I still think tube type tires on a streetbike are a very dangerous thing. But if I ever pass you while you're sitting on the side of the road with a flat tube type tire, I will stop to help.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #122
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Heres my 2 cents. Sat on and test rode a Stratoliner and found the cruiser ergos comfortable.I then bought the bike and loved the HUGE torque but found the cruiser ergos that were so great in the showroom and on a short test ride very tiresome after a couple of hours in the seat. Lots of pain between my shoulders and sore butt because of bucket like shape prevented moving around. I find a slight lean forward with my feet directly under me is comfortable for all day rides. I'm 6'2" and kinda skinny. Sport touring or dirtbike style is comfy, Oh yeah and be carefull with tube type tires, they are a real hazard.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #123
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Oh yeah and be carefull with tube type tires, they are a real hazard.
Really? Never heard that before!
C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #124
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'll give up on it here, since I have obviously made my point. But I still think tube type tires on a streetbike are a very dangerous thing. But if I ever pass you while you're sitting on the side of the road with a flat tube type tire, I will stop to help.
Well? Where were you? No problem when you carry a spare tire.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #125
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'll give up on it here, since I have obviously made my point.
no you have not

all you have done is offer your mis-guided opinion

again
and
again
and
again
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #126
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
It's your money and will be your motorcycle, but something here really does not make sense. Either there is more than you have told us, which is your right, or you are stubbornly refusing to consider a motorcycle that perfectly fits what you claim to want: An 883 Rubber Mount Sportster.

They are not buzzy. The engine shakes at idle, but smooths out lovely while moving. You can get them with mid pegs (which I think you would like), or forward pegs, or even change them out to rear pegs ala XR1200. Lots of accessory options including bags, windshield, crash bars and wind/rain covers to keep you feet and legs protected. Different rear shock options can get you a variety of wheel travel.

Yes, there are some foolish Harley riders, but you don't have to become a member of the chrome of the day club.

There are many stories of anti-Harley riders who finally gave one an objective ride, and discovered that it was the most fun they had had riding a motorcycle. Not that they started wearing ass-less chaps (I just like adding the ass-less part, because I think they are pretty ridicules on men, but pretty hot on women....) but in fact continued to wear full face helmets and aero stich. They put their dislike of the bad ass biker lifestyle aside, and discovered the Harley was nice motorcycle.

It's your money, and will be your motorcycle, but are you letting something get in the way of an honest evaluation?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #127
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
It's your money and will be your motorcycle, but something here really does not make sense. Either there is more than you have told us, which is your right, or you are stubbornly refusing to consider a motorcycle that perfectly fits what you claim to want: An 883 Rubber Mount Sportster.

They are not buzzy. The engine shakes at idle, but smooths out lovely while moving. You can get them with mid pegs (which I think you would like), or forward pegs, or even change them out to rear pegs ala XR1200. Lots of accessory options including bags, windshield, crash bars and wind/rain covers to keep you feet and legs protected. Different rear shock options can get you a variety of wheel travel.

Yes, there are some foolish Harley riders, but you don't have to become a member of the chrome of the day club.

There are many stories of anti-Harley riders who finally gave one an objective ride, and discovered that it was the most fun they had had riding a motorcycle. Not that they started wearing ass-less chaps (I just like adding the ass-less part, because I think they are pretty ridicules on men, but pretty hot on women....) but in fact continued to wear full face helmets and aero stich. They put their dislike of the bad ass biker lifestyle aside, and discovered the Harley was nice motorcycle.

It's your money, and will be your motorcycle, but are you letting something get in the way of an honest evaluation?
There you go.

I sat on a Super Guide Custom today. Nice. My SO is thinking about it. Or the Street Bob or Softail something. I like the Dyna's, but her choice if she decides to do it.

The right Sportster can be a blast to ride.

BTW, the only guys I saw out today when it was in the 30's were on cruisers, too. Some of them were pirates. So what, they ride.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #128
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
It took awhile, but silly season has officially begun.
scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #129
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
While I can appreciate a Harley sportster, I have no want for one. Sorry, they just don't turn my crank. Never have. I have ridden them and don't like them. nuff said.

Well, I took out a V Star 950 and a Vulcan 900. Both were naked bikes, both with the mag wheels and tubeless tires. Both are great bikes. The Vulcan seat was a little less comfortable, but that may just the short time on it. The VStar was much more comfortable to me. I liked the bars on both and the foot position on the VStar seemed a little better. All of this on short 1/2 hour rides on each one. I found that they both ran fine at 120-130 KPH (75-80MPH). Sure you have to rev them a bit, but that isn't a problem as far as I can see. Not all that buzzy and no real vibrations to feel. Of course, this was all done at a balmy 4 -5 degrees Celsius (40 F.). So yes, it was a bit chilly on the naked bikes. Any vibration or chattering I felt, was probably my teeth chattering and my knees knocking.

Over all, I found the VStar to be a little more comfortable. Plus, I liked the simplicity of the air cooled design, which I am used to.

So, now that I have picked the bike, I just have to wait for somebody to buy my BMW. Hopefully the guy coming tomorrow. I may have to wait for the colour bike I want as they only have the 1 bike in stock and it is black. Although nice, I would prefer the white. Dealer says will have in stock in the new year and will honour today's price and most likely be able to offer a better price then as well. So, wait and see. Can't do too much riding right now anyway due to weather, which is supposed to get worse over next couple of weeks. Snow will be coming.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #130
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,249
Hey Dave, you mentioned the 1200C earlier...get a chance to ride it? I test rode one when they first came out and really liked it, seemed more of a solo bike with the super cool flip up seat.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #131
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I did try out the 1200C last weekend. It was pretty nice, but the foot position just did not seem to go with the seating. Felt a little awkward having a fairly comfortable seat but having your knees bent more and higher, plus with the boxer engine you have very limited places to put your feet. It had plenty of power. Another thing I did not like was the price. For what they wanted for a 10 year old bike, I can buy a brand new VStar or Vulcan. Sure, that is not really a fair comparison, but really? $8995 for a 2001 BMW 1200C with 50,000Km on it? The bike is out of production, BMW orphaned it. It has that wonderful CanBus electrical system that can be a total nightmare if something goes wrong. And parts for BMWs in Canada are going thru the roof. Plus, I don't look anything like James Bond.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #132
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,808
Hey Dave,

Congrats on your decision! I hope that your new ride will give you many miles, and many hours of great big grins under your helmet. Since you are switching to a cruiser - I do have a pair of "assless chaps" here from my cruiser days if you're interested - you only have to pay the shipping!!
C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #133
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Cruisers are crazy uncomfortable and kill my back. They are built to achieve a certain look and anything to do with being good to ride come secondary. Try some sort of standard bike--bandit, fjr, 919, whatever suits you. The Bandit 1250 is pretty comfy, car-like engine build and reliability.

You've pretty well hit the nail on the head. The sacrifice you endure when you actually ride a cruiser, in lack of comfort and feeble capabilities on the road,,,,I just would not go there.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #134
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Yes, I did try out the 1200C last weekend. It was pretty nice, but the foot position just did not seem to go with the seating. Felt a little awkward having a fairly comfortable seat but having your knees bent more and higher, plus with the boxer engine you have very limited places to put your feet. It had plenty of power. Another thing I did not like was the price. For what they wanted for a 10 year old bike, I can buy a brand new VStar or Vulcan. Sure, that is not really a fair comparison, but really? $8995 for a 2001 BMW 1200C with 50,000Km on it? The bike is out of production, BMW orphaned it. It has that wonderful CanBus electrical system that can be a total nightmare if something goes wrong. And parts for BMWs in Canada are going thru the roof. Plus, I don't look anything like James Bond.
All the same reasons I dislike the 12C.

I do hope you enjoy your choice in the Star, and get as many years and miles out of it as you did the airhead.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #135
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey C-Stain, thanks for the offer of the ass-less chaps. If I go there, I would have to go for the complete pirate look. I really don't think I can do that.

On the other hand. We are getting ready to sell the big old family house, now that the kids are gone. Found a box in the heated crawl with my old custom made leathers I had made in Montreal around 1980. They are still in great condition, soft and supple. But damn, they shrunk a bit. I can actually get the pants on and done up, can't bend over, but... The jacket will almost do up. So, am on a bit of a diet and exercise program now so that I can fit in them again. Don't see many guys riding around in medium to dark blue leathers. I can see it now, Cruising down the road come spring in my new/old leathers on a nice new bike.Looking forward to it. Come on Winter get it over with.