ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #406
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids View Post
Hi dudes! I currently own a 2012 Monster 796. Ive put on 8000 miles this year between commuting, weekend canyons, and some 500mi day trips. I am unhappy with the monster, and it just isn't the bike I was in love with. Im 6'2" and 175lbs, and i dont really feel like i fit on the monster physically. So, I am looking into a few different bikes to replace it, primarily the ktm smt. I like the upright seating position and the luggage options. I am not into the 990 adventure because I have a quad for offroading, thjs bike will be 99.5% street riding. Wanted to ask smT owners their opinions about their bikes...

Anyone clocking loads of miles on this bike? How do they hold up?
How is it riding with a passenger? Are you both comfortable for long trips?
Any gripes with the fuel range?
Any must have mods that would add to my initial costs with this bike?
Are you already over it?
How are track days on this beast?

Thanks!
hi andrew!
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #407
pvt joker
Latebird
 
pvt joker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cucamonga
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids View Post
Hi dudes! I currently own a 2012 Monster 796. Ive put on 8000 miles this year between commuting, weekend canyons, and some 500mi day trips. I am unhappy with the monster, and it just isn't the bike I was in love with. Im 6'2" and 175lbs, and i dont really feel like i fit on the monster physically. So, I am looking into a few different bikes to replace it, primarily the ktm smt. I like the upright seating position and the luggage options. I am not into the 990 adventure because I have a quad for offroading, thjs bike will be 99.5% street riding. Wanted to ask smT owners their opinions about their bikes...

Anyone clocking loads of miles on this bike? How do they hold up?
How is it riding with a passenger? Are you both comfortable for long trips?
Any gripes with the fuel range?
Any must have mods that would add to my initial costs with this bike?
Are you already over it?
How are track days on this beast?

Thanks!

My advice to you sir, is to get a new bike every year.

pvt joker screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 03:02 PM
pvt joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #408
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer
 
Davo-55's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,155
2013 ktm 990 smt?

Will the 990 SMT be offered in 2013, or will it be replaced by a new model? Or eliminated altogether? Anyone have answers?
__________________
It is always darkest right before dawn, so if you are going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that is the time to do it
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #409
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,216
I haven't heard anything as of yet. Hopefully they make it for at least one more year since it looks like it will be about the only street bike KTM with the adventure most likely showing up really late as a 14 model. I've gotten a chance to ride a couple, fantastic machines.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06 Buell XB12X
05 XR650R 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #410
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ssregal39's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach
Oddometer: 198
yep

http://www.ktm.com/us/travel/990-sm-...l#.ULGwQYbNlM4
says 2013
__________________
i wanna ride
ssregal39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #411
burgerking
echt bezopen
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Oddometer: 617
Yes and a nice looking one
http://blog.derestricted.com/travel/2013-ktm-990-smt/
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #412
smoker2
Adventurer
 
smoker2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SEPA
Oddometer: 32


smoker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #413
D.T.
One wheel wonder...
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Moneyapolis, MN
Oddometer: 9,297
I'll take 2 please!

__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by burgerking So?
Holland is about the most expensive country in Europe when it comes to bikes and fuel..Stop whining and go riding It's just money and you only live once...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #414
ohpyramids
Latebird
 
ohpyramids's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
my advice to you sir, is to get a new bike every year.
so far so good!
2011 drz400sm
2012 ducati monster
2013 ??????
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #415
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
anyone get a 2013 990sm t yet?

http://www.ktm.com/us/travel/990-sm-...l#.UL_SapPjn0g
__________________
"Its a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #416
ohpyramids
Latebird
 
ohpyramids's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 39
this bike looks badass! still might look into the 2012 because of new 2013 california exhaust laws :(

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/8064...haust-Law.aspx
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #417
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
any changes from the '12 to the '13?

any changes from the '12 to the '13?
__________________
"Its a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #418
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto View Post
any changes from the '12 to the '13?
Besides the colors I don't think so.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #419
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel
 
evanphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 415
higher seat

does anyone know if there is a higher seat made for the smt 2012?
i am picking my 2012 up this coming saturday and the one thing is that i feel the seat is a bit low. i am used to 36/37 inch seat heights so i guess it is normal to feel this way.
any tips or threads you guys know of that would help me with my first KTM?
what are the must mods/how to break in the engine??
thanks
__________________
"Its a good feeling when they stand up and fight us. If 10 of them are gonna decide to stand up and fight us, I can tell you 10 of them are gonna die,"
Cpt. Schneider, US Army in Iraq, 2004

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #420
ultrachrome
Poser
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madrona, Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto View Post
does anyone know if there is a higher seat made for the smt 2012?
i am picking my 2012 up this coming saturday and the one thing is that i feel the seat is a bit low. i am used to 36/37 inch seat heights so i guess it is normal to feel this way.
any tips or threads you guys know of that would help me with my first KTM?
what are the must mods/how to break in the engine??
thanks
Congrats on the new bike.

The SMR seat might be a little higher and is interchangeable with the SMT. See if you're dealer will let you swap the seat if just to try it out.

http://ktmsmt.com is a good resource as is the orange crush forum given the many parts the SMT shares with the Adventure. Also http://ktm950.info.

There's nothing the bike really needs but a 16T front sprocket really makes the bike easier to ride in town with negligible impact to fuel efficiency.

The rest is down to personal preference.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014