User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #31
Don Gavino
Michigan Catracho

Oddometer: 172
No

You will need both top and bottom triple clamps from SV1000N as the off set is different from the S to the N. Not one person that has drilled their top clamp has had any issue with it to date. Check it out...
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18709
Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #32
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 315
My mistake, meant to say swap "triples" as in both. Just mentioned the top as it has the bar mounts.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #33
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,138
Both great bikes, I really like the v-twin in the SV, but don't especially care for its looks or ergonomics. I put 60k miles on a TLS and just love the raw, stonking twin its got. I'd guess tha tif you spend a bit on the SV you could get it up to similar spec, shame suzuki made it slower over the years instead of faster though.

LSL and others I'm sure sell kits to put regular upright bars on the SV to make it more comparable to the trumpet.

So between these two my vote is a Tuono or TL (and if money weren't an issue a Streetfighter all the way).

The SV1000S was a dumb idea on suzuki's part imho - its got the components of a budget standard with the ergonomics of a superbike. Its a great basic platform though if you are willing to either make the ergonomics more suitable for bopping about or the components more suitable for tearing up the track. But if you are going to that trouble why not start with the oh-so-much-more-sexy TLS?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #34
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 861
"The SV1000S was a dumb idea on suzuki's part imho - its got the components of a budget standard with the ergonomics of a superbike. Its a great basic platform though if you are willing to either make the ergonomics more suitable for bopping about or the components more suitable for tearing up the track. But if you are going to that trouble why not start with the oh-so-much-more-sexy TLS? "[/quote]...................................... I'll tell you what dumb is, dumb is changing your cam belts every 2-3 years but no one says a thing about that great idea from ducati. now i hear they doubled the service life of their timing belts i think that happened around 05 or 06.Suzuki claims to have made 30 improvements to the tl motor to make the sv and dl. i think a few Hp is a small price to pay for longer life.but its all about spec sheets and big numbers right.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
stiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
I'll tell you what dumb is, dumb is changing your cam belts every 2-3 years but no one says a thing about that great idea from ducati. now i hear they doubled the service life of their timing belts i think that happened around 05 or 06.Suzuki claims to have made 30 improvements to the tl motor to make the sv and dl. i think a few Hp is a small price to pay for longer life.but its all about spec sheets and big numbers right.
Ducati requires valve adjust @ every 6k and belt replacement @ every 12k for '06-down and 7.5k/15k for '07-up, with the new Multistrada 1200 (alone) having 15k valve adjust intervals.

Simple belt replacement runs one hour of labor, plus parts, and belts run from $27/ea (M750) to $105/ea (1198).

Most duc owners don't put a lot of miles on, so they're not doing a major service every year or even every other year - and they usually know what they are getting into when they buy the bike. Out here in SoCal many of my customers spent more on sticky tires per annum than routine maintenance.

If you put a lot of miles on annually, are on a budget and don't want to do your own maintenance, other bikes are probably a better choice.
stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
norzuki
n00b

Oddometer: 1
The SV

The SV and The speed triple were two of my 4 choices when looking for a modern bike 2 yrs ago. The SV won the toss .Honda VTR and Ducati 900SS (up to 1998) were the other 2. All great motorcycles. My fully faired SV1000S was the best bike I've owned,..An unexpected bonus is that it is classified as a "sport tourer" by the ins. companies hence low ins. rates! .........It's way too easy to go fast . Restraint must be heavily called upon. I believe "discretion" is appropriate here!!!
norzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #37
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Would you rather be: pulled by the bars,or pushed by the seat?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #38
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I think either bike would be good for what you wanna do. If ergos are a big concern, the speed triple may be better, since you will not have to modify it to have the higher upright riding position.

I have ridden my SV1000, and a buddies Triumph Sprint 1050. I also used to have a GSXR 600 as a track bike. The feel of the power of the three is interesting. The GSXR, inline 4, you don't really feel the power...you give it gas, look down and you are doing 100 MPH. The SV1000...Vtwin...you give it gas, and know you are getting to 100 Mph...because the torque makes it feel like an invisible rope is pulling/pushing you there very hard. The triple motor, is like a beautiful blend of the two feelings.....you feel some torque, and some HP..and it is very different than the other two motor configurations. It made me laugh at how different it was.

Not sure if the ST suffers the same issue as my buddies bike, but the engine puts out a crap load of heat, and you feel it on your legs bigtime. That is not an issue with the SV1000.

I know you said you did not wanna mod anything, but you can do it if desired. I loved my clip ons for riding the track or twisties...but not the hour or two slabbing it there and back...so I changed my bike to bars: (I do not mind modding....note the GSXR tail and custom subframe I built)

Also, for anyone having issues with the brakes on the SV1000....swap to stainless line, Galfer, Speigler, etc, and some Vesrah RJL pads...totally transforms the braking.
I know I'm resurrecting an old post here, but can I ask what bars you have there? Renthal Ultra lows?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #39
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
I know I'm resurrecting an old post here, but can I ask what bars you have there? Renthal Ultra lows?
They are TAG metal bars, with cross bar removed. I can not remember which bend they were..a low of something.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
All Are Good, but different.

I have owned both SV1000 s as well as the naked version and a couple of 1050 Speed Trips.
The SVS would be best for someone wanting to do alot of highway at speed, especially with Heli bars and a thicker seat. The fairing is the key here. Their is n comparison what so ever between a "Gixer" and either SV, especially in front end feel, or motor for that matter so forget that comment.

AS for the Triumph, they are reliable, smoother and probable make alittle more torque down low. They are not hard to get parts for, at least not in the states nor most of western europe. The are out fitted a bit better spec wise as stock. As for heat, its a non issue. You can't compare it to an ST with full bodywork.

Both are nice bikes. If you are not blowing down the highway, riding in cold, rain etc. or plan on alot of 80+ speeds, you would probable enjoy either naked. The Triumph has abit more personality and definately better front end feel out of stock setup. The Standard SV suspension will be a bit softer, better on rough roads.
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #41
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
They are TAG metal bars, with cross bar removed. I can not remember which bend they were..a low of something.
Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #42
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
After owning a 2003 Speed Triple 955i I would say go with the Suzuki. Speed Triple suspension sucks even after $1000. of Race Tech suspension and a $375. LSL steering damper the thing handled like shit, unless it was on absolute smooth road!
They are top heavy, in the first 10k the fuel quick disconnect broke blowing gas over everything, fuel level sensor went out, and something else broke but, can't remember what it was at the moment. The engine was smooth but boring like a 4. It will be a long time before I look at another Triumph. The 05 does have the better fork and was changed a little. I would go with the SV unless you can afford to step up to a KTM