Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #511
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
AGM Battery Replacement - FYI

pic hosting
image ru
Scorpion Battery from Battery Stuff. $63 to my door. No tax, no shipping, slipped right in.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #512
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Nice looking rig! Just saw the yellow at the dealer last week, very nice.

Someone here in this thread or theSertao thread used the TT adjuster on the windscreen and got good results. I put the factory BMW tall screen on mine which was a big improvement, but may add the TT adjuster for a little more help, or may looks for another tall screen. I think I need about 2 more inches to get the results I'm looking for. About about 5'10" and need to duck down about just a little for the air to go over me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwardsit View Post
Hi there, newbie here. At age 52 I decided to learn to ride a motorbike. After 9 months on a little 250, last Friday I took delivery of my 2013 G650GS. I am loving it.
Have a question for the experienced riders on this forum.
Has anyone used a touratech screen adjuster fitted to the standard screen on the G650GS. I get the wind off the screen just in under my neck and figured being able to push the screen out a bit would cure this.
Any hints or tips welcome.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #513
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I'm using the Wunderlich screen adjuster. I think it's a little less expensive than the TT one, and I like it a lot, works great.

Cheers,

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #514
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm also using the Wunderlich (tobinator). It looks neat and has two or three inches of range plus a little tilt, but for me the Wunderlich plus the stock screen is still an inadequate set up. However I put that down to a combination of the stock screen (the Wunderlich can't overcome its limitations) plus the fact I am tall-ish (6'-1") and ride with the high seat.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #515
Backwardsit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks. I am 6'1 and also have the high seat, so probably need the tall screen and the adjuster.
Backwardsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #516
glennmack
Good Bloke

Oddometer: 20
Windscreens and Such.....

I've had my 650GS for just over a year now and have tried a few options on the windscreen.

I've been using the Touratech adjuster for nearly the whole time and find it to be a great option. I've also tried a large windscreen from Calsci and have the Wunderlich Wind Deflector. The combination of the TT adjuster and the WWD is great and very flexible, being able to angle and change the height of the standard screen and then the addition of the 'pop-the-wind-over-the-top' deflector works very well. You'll never get the full protection of the big screen but to be honest I found the big screen too big and took to it with a Dremel (see pics earlier in this thread). I haven't used it in ages. Being able to keep my head out of the turbulent air is what I was after. Not to hide in a cocoon of still air (may as well ride a Harley). Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwardsit View Post
Hi there, newbie here. At age 52 I decided to learn to ride a motorbike. After 9 months on a little 250, last Friday I took delivery of my 2013 G650GS. I am loving it.
Have a question for the experienced riders on this forum.
Has anyone used a touratech screen adjuster fitted to the standard screen on the G650GS. I get the wind off the screen just in under my neck and figured being able to push the screen out a bit would cure this.
Any hints or tips welcome.

glennmack screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:51 AM
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #517
glennmack
Good Bloke

Oddometer: 20
Recent Camping Trip

Thought I'd share some pics of a recent camping trip in South East Queensland in Australia. 3 of us went on a 2 day trip with a lot of dirt and gravel - inspired by a similar trip somewhere else on ADVRider.

Mine is the 2011 G650GS, we had a DR650 and a new CRF250. Had a great time and all the bikes went well. I'd definitely change the standard Metzler's on the BMW to a more aggressive tyre for future trips like this though. Very squirmy in the mud (as you'd expect) but a lot of fun.

The DR and the GS got tired during the trip and needed a lie down, luckily only got pics of the DR in 'sleeping' mode.

Cheers

IMG_0566 IMG_0569

IMG_0574 Image 2

IMG_0583 IMG_0586

IMG_0590 IMG_0585

glennmack screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:57 AM
glennmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #518
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
throwing out a hello to all on this thread as i just got a new bike
got rid of the cruiser and have seen the light

looks orange but its the red 2012 model

and only 18 km on the clock as i got to the garage
hope to meet a few others down here somewhere soon
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #519
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
throwing out a hello to all on this thread as i just got a new bike
got rid of the cruiser and have seen the light

looks orange but its the red 2012 model

and only 18 km on the clock as i got to the garage
hope to meet a few others down here somewhere soon
Welcome from NE Ohio, USA where there is snow on ground.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #520
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 456
Well, today was the last straw. I got all ATTGATT and excited for an all-day ride and the bike wouldn't start. It would crank and crank (battery seemed fine) but just wouldn't light. This was stone cold (well, ambient was ~70F), so it was a departure from my recent hot-start issues. I let it sit for a while, opened the gas cap at the request of my dealer, and still nothing. Called BMW roadside assistance to get a flatbed (still under warranty) and someone was there within the hour.

I tried to clue the dealer in to the decompression lever issues out there, so hopefully they will call BMW and investigate that.

I'll let you know what comes of all this.

This all comes right when I'm starting to plan my first big backcountry trip. Reliability issues like these will make it tough for me to cast off on such an undertaking. Hopefully they find a smoking gun and the fix makes the next 13,000 miles as great and trouble-free as the first.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #521
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 443
Pete,
You say that the bike would crank and crank but not fire. Did it seem to be spinning as fast as normal? I'm asking to get a better understanding about the decompression lever issue.

Peter Y.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #522
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Pete,
You say that the bike would crank and crank but not fire. Did it seem to be spinning as fast as normal? I'm asking to get a better understanding about the decompression lever issue.

Peter Y.
It was spinning as fast as normal at first, but I eventually ran out of battery. It's a little hard to say, as the bike always used to start very quickly so I never got to hear a lot of cranking to get a feel for the speed.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #523
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
It was spinning as fast as normal at first, but I eventually ran out of battery. It's a little hard to say, as the bike always used to start very quickly so I never got to hear a lot of cranking to get a feel for the speed.
In general for the G650 It seems like owners are either having the battery issue items or the valve issue items, or both related to each other? Who knows?

More commonly it seems like these G650's weren't shipped with stellar batteries. I couldn't start my bike on a cold start last week and after charging the battery it cranked just fine. Weird... but "seems" like after the battery is less that 90% for some reason it's falling short of crank amps. Maybe the reason why some owners are seeing improved results after a new battery.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #524
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
In general for the G650 It seems like owners are either having the battery issue items or the valve issue items, or both related to each other? Who knows?

More commonly it seems like these G650's weren't shipped with stellar batteries. I couldn't start my bike on a cold start last week and after charging the battery it cranked just fine. Weird... but "seems" like after the battery is less that 90% for some reason it's falling short of crank amps. Maybe the reason why some owners are seeing improved results after a new battery.
I could go either way on this. It may be that the stronger battery has the oomph to overcome the lack of decompression and just masks the problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #525
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I've started having the "hot start" issue on my new 2012 G650GS, and it's annoying at best. I do have a sealed battery, forget the brand, and it does have the required oomph to overcome the decompression issue and fire after about 3-4 tries. I'm sure the stock battery would give out before the sealed style. I have about 2200 miles on the bike. I had mentioned this to the dealer, and they told me that BMW wanted to see the bike AFTER it accumulated 2000 miles. So, I guess I'll look for a dryish day and plan to take the bike to the dealers. Or, I can "get stranded" near my house, call for assistance and they can flat bed it to the dealer. It's too new for this shit to be happening in my opinion. I for sure want this fixed before next summers "off the beaten path" trips.

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote