Oddometer: 28
Shell Rotella T 15W-40.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
Great comparison, but does any one know what all the different numbers mean. Infact I don't care.....just need someone that knows how to read the chart to tell me which one to buy
Plenty of us know what those numbers mean.. we took the time to learn.
You can find all of that info and more by going to www.bobistheoilguy.com and educating yourself on the forum.

As far as telling you what oil to use, read your manual. Use the type and viscosity they specify for your climate. Ignore brand recommendations such as Motorex because that name being in the manual probably had more to do with money changing hands in a contract than it being "best."

Any oil you buy and use that meets the specification requirements put forth by KTM will work very well.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #48
craig6785
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I am currently running Motorex because of warranty as soon as it is up I will switch to Amsoil. I personally have had great service from Amsoil in many different motorcycles. That being said I think we can all say we have had great service from many different types of oils. As long as it is doing it's job we don't have issues. It is when we have issues when we know if it is really any good or not. So this is one of the reasons I like Amsoil. My self and 2 others were on the 4th day of a 7 day ride when we stopped for a little break. One of the other guys commented that he thought his cam chain had gotten loose because he could really hear it rattling. He started the bike up and we could here it rattling. The bike being a KLR 650 (which he switched to Amsoil as soon as he got it) it is an easy adjustment, so I said lets adjust it quick and then continue on. As we started to adjust the cam chain we discovered that he had hit something crushed his aluminum skid plate and drove the oil plug up in to the case breaking a hole in the case bigger than a quarter causing all the oil to run out of the engine. We started looking back at the GPS to see where it could of happened. We were only about 3 miles off the last paved road, the trail to that point was sandy and smooth so it had to have happened on the last section of off road we were on which was over 15 miles prior. Being over 500 miles from home and planning on 3 more days of riding we started to go over options. Call his brother to come get him, or fix it and continue on. So I got out some J-B water weld we laid the bike down cleaned up the bottom up with gas and patched the hole. I had 1 quart of Amsoil with me so we pored that in and looked up the nearest gas station on the GPS. After getting to the gas station and getting more oil, we headed off get more patch material which that we put on that night. We finished out trip. He called his insurance company they said have an estimate done on it. So he did when they pulled the top end off everything looked good we couldn't find any damage. We put the bike back together without replacing the cases and he is still running it today with over 8000 miles on the patched cases. It makes oil changes a little tricky but he has that figured that out too. The point of all of this is the bike was ridden to the best of our knowledge over 15 miles at highway speeds with no oil in the crank case and no damage to the internals of the engine.The bike is still running today on Amsoil.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc View Post
Plenty of us know what those numbers mean.. we took the time to learn.
You can find all of that info and more by going to www.bobistheoilguy.com and educating yourself on the forum.

As far as telling you what oil to use, read your manual. Use the type and viscosity they specify for your climate. Ignore brand recommendations such as Motorex because that name being in the manual probably had more to do with money changing hands in a contract than it being "best."

Any oil you buy and use that meets the specification requirements put forth by KTM will work very well.
Thats for your advice Bloc but your not getting it. Their a heaps of oil threads (to educate yourself from), with everyone having a personel preference based on location, climate, oil availability, what your mates at the pub recommend etc. Here in Australia we can't buy Shell Rotalla, our Delo 400 is made by Caltex not Chevron (probably same comany but who knows) and we have products, like oil made by Gulf Western that you don't have........so you won't win an oil thread (to many variables) and your right in saying buy the oil that meets your specification
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #50
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Bobistheoilguy is what I'd specifically recommend to learn about those terms, as well as oils available all over the world. Things like: tbn (total base number, basically how "basic" the oil is when new, to buffer increasing acidity as you go through your change interval), cSt @ 100 (centistokes @ 100 degrees C, basically your viscosity (thickness) at operating temp), cSt @ 40 (same thing, only when cool. The difference between the two being very important)

IIRC they have forums dedicated to specific regions.

My main point is on that website the entire reason for the site & forums is lubrication performance, with actual tribologists (look it up.. it's relevant) frequently contributing to the discussion.. when you combine that focus with the depth of data (THOUSANDS of used oil reports have been posted with data logged and categorized) you can make a very informed decision on which oil will work best for you.

Thing is, it requires taking the time and effort to educate yourself. If you aren't gonna do that, you should probably just stick with what KTM recommends.

In my case, I'm comfortable running any oil of the recommended viscosity that is JASO-MA/MA2 certified. For me, the importance of the oil performance within our clutch and transmission justifies seeking out that specific certification. On synth/dino: to get 10w-50, it basically has to be synthetic in the first place. Those requirements leave me with only 3 or 4 possible oils.. but that's plenty.

The guys running Delo & Rotella are using outstanding oils.. That said, even with them being designed for extended drain intervals (to mitigate the reduced performance after mechanical shear over the life of the oil) I just don't feel comfortable using something that wasn't designed for a gearbox.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #51
kelly duke 2000
Closed, Gone Riding

Oddometer: 479
I've been running maxim 10/60. I live in fl and have 50k on the 950.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,185
Motul

I've never been a syntetic oil guy . I have tied Amsoil & Royal Purple in the past .
My normal bike oil's could not hang in my 990 .
So after some reading and discusion with engine builders I am runing Motul 15w50 .

I gotta say that already I have noticed with only 350 miles on this oil change - better smoother runing engine & better gas milage ! Now this is not a cheap oil BUT if I can keep the oil in longer than 1200 miles and with a 4 mpg increase I will atleast brake even !

Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #53
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
10W40 Torco or
10W40 Ipone or
10W40 G.R.O
all semi synthetic and changing every 3-4k km (950SE)
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #54
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Motorex 10w50 for 1190 adventure
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #55
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,136
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1414

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #56
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 892
Valvoline Synpower 10w/50

http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...tic-engine-oil
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Motul 300v in 15-60
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #58
CondorWings
Second Wind

Oddometer: 21
The clutch is using the same oil

I'm no expert, but I know that wet clutch performance is affected by the type of oil used.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #59
whereisgibson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Putoline 10W60 - was good for 7000 miles http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906727
whereisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #60
Tripndrag
Tripndrag

Oddometer: 76
I use the Mobile 1 15w50, see photos below. I understand wanting to have the largest temperature range of coverage but there is only one place that has the 10w50 oil and it is around $20 dollars a liter. It is also expensive online. I got my oil changed at the dealer and took it in the shorts through the warranty period. The dealer went out of business and I started changing the oil myself the second it went out of warranty and I went through the oil dilemma like a lot of others. The Mobile 1 has worked great in my 2006 950 Adventure and 2003 625sxc with no issues for many years and miles. I bought the Adventure new and the 625 used shortly after the Adventure. This is how I selected this oil:

1. The 15w just raises the cold operating temperature a bit. The raise is still way, way below the temperature I would ever ride it. I believe it is -20 degrees F for a 10w and -10 degrees F for a 15w. It has great protection in really hot weather and keeps the bikes cool. Neither bike has ever spit water or overheated in pretty harsh conditions.

2. It has no additives/friction modifiers that can harm the clutch. The newer bottle changed the cap color as well as it says Anti-wear protection for Performance vehicles. The Anti-wear protection is just more zinc added to the formula which is a great thing. This does not mean it has the energy conserving additives or friction modifiers as they are also called, that can coat the clutch and make it to slick to function correctly. You can confirm this by looking at the back of the bottle in the API service circular label. If you look up the API rating information it explains everything in that circle and what it means. On this oil the bottom part of the circle has nothing in it just like on the older bottle meaning it is not energy conserving and has none of the additives that can cause clutch problems.

3. Price is great on this oil. It can be found from $4-$8 dollars at a lot of places.

Front of bottle:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.22.38.jpg

Back of bottle:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.23.03.jpg

Hope this helps.
Tripndrag is offline   Reply With Quote