Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Go to Google and enter (without quotations) "site:bobistheoilguy.com subject of interest", inserting what ever you want to search the site for.

Here's an example.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%2F+...w=1236&bih=670

Pretty much every internet or otherwise social discussion of oil is 99% speculation and fuzzy warm feelings people like to incite in themselves and others. "You use synthetic!? Couldn't have made a better choice myself!"
Bobistheoilguy.com is where the buck stops...if you're willing to search for what you're looking for.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I run Rotella synthetic in my boat but I wasn't happy with it in the LC4. Shifting got notchy as soon as I used it. It blew my mind that oil could make a difference in shifter feel. It never has on any other bike I have ever owned when I ran Rotella.

But the difference between Rotella synthetic and the Mobil1 that had been in it was obvious as soon as I rode the bike. Then switching the Rotella out for Motorex was quite distinct. So I will bite the bullet and feed my LC4E the expensive oil.
When I first got my LC4 I was paranoid about oil and used Motul because I was told it was one of the best oils, and I thought it was expensive so it can't be to bad.

After a while my bikes clutch was playing up when I tried to take of from lights sometimes (it would be really grabby and make bad noises), I thought it had something to do with the 2500klms I had ridden in 5th because I had lost my gear lever and had to abuse the clutch a bit.

Anyway one day I went to get some oil and the sales man told me to get some shell oil he had there instead of the Motul I had grabbed, so I decided to try it.

I don't think I noticed any difference until I went back to Motul after a few oil changes and noticed that the clutch started playing up at the first set of lights, I thought that was strange because it had been good ever since I stopped using Motul.

So now I won't use Motul, but I'll run most other things...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Rotella T, about ten gallons. So far so good...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Amsoil in my Wr250r. I plan on keeping it that way.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
What ever is on sale or someone gives me.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
+1 for Yamalube. I've used Amsoil in the past but for the extra cost I don't see any extra benefits.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,069
Rotella in everything. Synthetic in the street bikes due to longer changes, dino in the thumper change oil every ride, filter every three oil changes.

I remember being slave to motorex oil, thankfully no longer

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,996
Currently my only thumper is a Yamaha XT225, and I run 20w50 Walmart SuperTech in it, CHANGED OFTEN, sometimes after one day of riding in the dusty AZ desert.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #24
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Oil, it's relatively cheap in the greater scheme of things and I have enough things on my mind already so I keep it stupid simple. Bike needs oil, go to moto-shop, get store brand motorcycle oil, put in bike, ride happy. Example, DR650 needs oil, got to suzuki shop, get oil with proper weight needed and put in bike. Do I spend more, probably,... Do I care, not really. Is it the best oil possible? Mebbe, mebbe not, again, do I care, no.

Yamaha XT needs oil, got left over oil from suzuki change, use suzuki oil. No problem.

I've got other things to worry about rather than what is the cheapest or the "best" oil to run in my bikes. Besides, compared to my Jeep, bikes are dirt cheap anyhow until you get all high end. But a thumper is chump change comparatively.

Thinking changing interval is more important anyhow. I keep that simple too. XT takes 1000cc, change it every 1000 miles. DR's take 2300cc, change that ever 2300 miles or so.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #25
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,594
Creeper posted this interesting article a while back, Read This: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:30 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Creeper posted this interesting article a while back, Read This: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
That's a hell of an article. I only made it about half way though(it's freaking long), but I learned that rotella isn't true synthetic, while Amsoil is. Now I'm reconsidering my future plans to change.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Rotella T, about ten gallons. So far so good...
Damn dude, your oil cooler must be the size of a jerry can! How often do you change it, every 75,000 miles or so?
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,520
Mobil1 15w50, been thru about 5 gallons on the Husky now, even ran the rads dry one time, rode it home 50 miles at 65 miles an hour, no major engine problems. $5 a quart, I won't use anything else.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
That's a hell of an article. I only made it about half way though(it's freaking long), but I learned that rotella isn't true synthetic, while Amsoil is. Now I'm reconsidering my future plans to change.
If your only going to read half the article then the second half is probably the better half....

Gotta love that Amsoil, you can run it in everything, including the deep frier...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
If your only going to read half the article then the second half is probably the better half....

Gotta love that Amsoil, you can run it in everything, including the deep frier...
Ok, I'll try to revisit it, perhaps before bed as evening reading.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote