ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #1216
1ns
Adventurer
 
1ns's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hungary east
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
Hi inmates. I entered the world of thumpers yesterday. 82 XT 550 with less than 2 K miles. PO said it had spark but I get none. I would like input here. I ordered the CD rom manual last night from Great Britian and hope to have it next week. If you guys can steer me to some troubleshooting procedures in the meantime that would be great! Maybe someone has a cdi II can borrow or one of the homemade units I saw linked to here I could borrow. I am a longtimer on the YE.com forum and need a helping hand. The obligatory pictures......





You might try without the battery. My XT had regulator problem, but the engine worked fine without battery.
1ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #1217
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,198
Question XT 550 side stand?

Hi, Check the side stand. switch. Un plug it and plug the wires together. ED XT550 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #1218
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
Hi inmates. I entered the world of thumpers yesterday. 82 XT 550 with less than 2 K miles. PO said it had spark but I get none....


Very nice find.

Have you measured the ignition stator coil and the pickups? You have the ohm values in the manual, and usually (not always) you can spot a faulty coil by simple ohm test.

Big Ed's idea (side stand switch) is a good one, but you can also unplug the black/white wire at the CDI and then check for spark. That way some wiring failures, the kill switch, sidestand switch and ignition switch are taken out of the equation as all engine kill switches turn off the the engine (spark) by shorting the black/white wire to "earth"(black wire).

The lighting system (regulator, battery and all that) have nothing to do with the spark as the XT550 has a separate ignition system. I can not see how the lighting system can mess up the ignition system, but then again weird things happen....
G600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1219
orforester
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 43
I know it is here somewhere, but does anyone have any specs for a luggage rack for 82 XT 550? I was hoping to use the toolbag as well and rack. Put a spare gas tank on the rack.

Thanks, Bob
orforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #1220
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Hi, Check the side stand. switch. Un plug it and plug the wires together. ED XT550 FAN!!
Big Ed I know you are the XT man! I was mistaken. The bike does have spark but I am wondering if it is weak. I still don't have the manual. I believe this bike was parked when it quit and not monkeyed with much. Very clean. The carbs were pretty clean. I removed the jets and the bowls without removing the throttle linkage and stuff. Still no hit even with a little huff of starting fluid. Man that plug is hard as crap to get to.





papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #1221
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
ED is that mixture screw under that brass with the pinhole where the rail connects the carbs together? just noticed it tonight. I am clueless on these carbs. I have fooled with rubber vacuum carbs on my ninja 250 and Kawasaki 440 LTD as well as old 2 stroke mukunis. Who makes these and where is the 411?? Teikei? My ninja developed problems and I would REALLY like to get this jewel thumping. It is warming again in GA. May be sunshine and 70 again before Christmas.
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #1222
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
I could spring for a CDI. Any experience with the model out of Great Britain. It seems to be the value leader at about 160 bucks exchange from the pound. 6 month warranty vs the year on the New Zealand one???????
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #1223
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
ED is that mixture screw under that brass with the pinhole where the rail connects the carbs together? just noticed it tonight. I am clueless on these carbs. I have fooled with rubber vacuum carbs on my ninja 250 and Kawasaki 440 LTD as well as old 2 stroke mukunis. Who makes these and where is the 411?? Teikei? My ninja developed problems and I would REALLY like to get this jewel thumping. It is warming again in GA. May be sunshine and 70 again before Christmas.
I have a guy who is a ex-yamaha tech. He cleans my carbs for me. I ask him on saturday were the mixture screw is. Do you try a new plug? Also, make sure that rubber hose on the bottom of the carbs is not crack.
We had the first snow of the year. Next week we will be back up in the 50s!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #1224
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
new plug gappped, rubber hose??
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #1225
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by orforester View Post
I know it is here somewhere, but does anyone have any specs for a luggage rack for 82 XT 550? I was hoping to use the toolbag as well and rack. Put a spare gas tank on the rack.

Thanks, Bob
This guy has a plan Bob. Google is your friend, I had seen this but didn't know where. They must have been badged tenere's in Europe?
http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=807
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #1226
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
This guy has a plan Bob. Google is your friend, I had seen this but didn't know where. They must have been badged tenere's in Europe?
http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=807
Just for piece of mind I would start with a new plug and a plug cap. They are cheap and worth replacing. Then if there is still weak spark, it sounds like a cdi.

Good luck and keep us posted on what works.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #1227
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Just for piece of mind I would start with a new plug and a plug cap. They are cheap and worth replacing. Then if there is still weak spark, it sounds like a cdi.

Good luck and keep us posted on what works.
Got a good link on a quality cap that will work. That is something I have never purchased. I order from these folks pretty regularly or I can pop on ebay if the price is right.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...TOR/parts.html
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #1228
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawhellie View Post
Got a good link on a quality cap that will work. That is something I have never purchased. I order from these folks pretty regularly or I can pop on ebay if the price is right.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...TOR/parts.html
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
Virtually any NGK cap that is of the same shape should work. Any good bike shop should have a selection.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #1229
yamalama
wet coaster
 
yamalama's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: left coast
Oddometer: 1,134
you do a compression test?
check valves?
Chances are reasonably slim that it is the cdi, considering you have spark.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #1230
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
you do a compression test?
check valves?
Chances are reasonably slim that it is the cdi, considering you have spark.
You don't know XT CDI s then.

No offense. All of mine that are bad had spark. It was weak or sometimes acted like it was out of time. I pray it is something else simple though. Compression should be an obvious when you kick her over but a good thought to check.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014