Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #196
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped Knuckles View Post
After 13 pages , doesn't anybody have something horrible to say about the 955i Tiger ?
They must lack character and soul as nobody complains about them.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #197
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
The only bike I can recall right now that I really thought I was going to like, but didn't, was an '08 Uly. I had read so many glowing reviews here about it's comfort, soul, character, etc, that I just knew I was going to love it.

Nope.

Not a bad motorcycle mind you, just not what I was expecting. To be fair it was so new it wasn't broken in yet, nor was the suspension dialed in for my weight. But neither of those would cure the vibration at idle, shortish wheelbase, or nuclear cooling fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #198
Jimy_tapp
tldr

Oddometer: 308
Whats so good about this thread is some of you guys bought a bike with the same reasoning\expectation that I woulda had .... and then the result.

The good thing is that some of the bikes I've been mulling over have been shown in a different light here, and the honest truth is; when I get overwhelmed by purchasing choices I often buy something so stupid and so inappropriate that it defies logic to others. Cheers
Jimy_tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #199
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Ducati

I test rode the Ducati Hypermotard thinking I would be ready to purchase after the ride; I didn't. The rake of front forks and feeling like I was sitting over the front wheel was not confidence inspiring. Great motor and brakes though.I guess you could get used to it, but it seemed weird. I test rode a BMW Hp2 Megamoto with 6K miles on the odo and bought it with a huge grin- Such a great sport bike, couldn't be happier
hankgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #200
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimy_tapp View Post
when I get overwhelmed by purchasing choices I often buy something so stupid and so inappropriate that it defies logic to others. Cheers

This sounds to me like the only thing separating you from 95% of all motorcyclists on the planet is honesty. You have it.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #201
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
97 CBR1100xx. Flawless build, incredible top-end surge, super smooth engine, moderately comfortable on the highway at 70mph..... gutless midrange, bars too low /pegs too high for around town, steered like a truck..
XX is meant to be operated at triple digit speed, why would you operate at 70 mph or ride it around town?

I've wanted a Guzzi V10 Centauro even before I got my license. It was the 2nd bike I've purchased. Handles well, but typical Italian beauty, sexy, gorgeous, tempermental, FI needed lots of attention and throttle balance. Very torquey, abrupt on/off throttle, exposed shaft-drive that fling grease to impossible places to clean off. Harsh, short travel rear suspension.
Too much of a Sunday bike for me, since I never wash my bikes.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #202
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,844
Speaking of Italian and temperamental, I test rode an MV Brutale 910 on two separate occasions. I wanted to love that bike, since the aesthetics are beyond seductive. And the howl above 7500 gets your adrenaline running at double speed.

Problem was the bottom end fueling was abrupt. I understand it could have been mellowed with a PC & a map. But the seating position combined a relaxed upper torso with high pegs making the knees too cramped. The bike also wanted to be hammered hard (and worked fantastic at speed), or hard on the brakes. Cornering was only okay maybe because I just couldn't trust it. Definitely not a commuter or urban bike.

But oh man I wanted to love it. So much I taunted myself a second time.

The second test ride was on a model 2 years later which felt like the transmission was filled with gravel. All I wanted to do was get it back to the dealership before it did something expensive.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #203
gone fishing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
99 zrx1100

Bought a 99 ZRX1100 last fall. Had a poster of Eddie Lawson riding the original back in the day. Wanted to like it so bad. Probably the coolest looking bike I've ever had. About 50 miles was all I could take before my knees screamed for mercy, and the buffeting above 60mph beat me to death. Sold it about 3 months later and bought a concours. Guess I'm gettin old.
gone fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #204
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
XX is meant to be operated at triple digit speed, why would you operate at 70 mph or ride it around town?
Umm, because you can't legally ride at triple digit speeds anywhere in North America?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #205
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Ducati Hypermotard and Monster S4 were disappointing to me for different reasons.

I had long lusted for a Ducati and was all set to buy one of these two 4 years ago. Then I test road them both....

The monster's ergos were just wrong for me. Legs too bent combined with a long reach to the bars. Did not care for how hard I needed to work to get the thing to turn either.

The Hyper bothered me with the ridding position being too far forward, but also how it felt during the first part of a corner. Also the brake pedal was at an odd angle. I suspect given time I could have adapted myself to it but I then road the bike that was perfect for me. So I gave up on the ducks for the time being.

I ended up on a KTM 950SMR. LOVE IT!
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #206
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Multistrada 1200:

1. less than 6k miles on mine and I've already had to replace the suspension ECU, the rear shock, and rear brake master cylinder.

2. There are other reported issues of the motorcycle breaking in ways that would leave you completely screwed if they broke. ETA for replacement parts from pasta land? ~3 weeks. Replacement parts cost? $$$$$$$$$

3. Even after tinkering with the fueling the engine runs so poorly and unpredictably below 3k RPM that parking lot maneuvers are quite difficult.

4. It's still a short persons motorcycle, anyone with a long ish torso is going to get beat up by wind buffeting. Also, people with size 13 feet are going to have problems with cornering clearance because your feet keep running into the exhaust and passenger foot pegs.

It's like living with a supermodel. Really fun to ride her hard but a pain in the ass all other times. Honestly wish I had bought an RT for touring and a street fighter for kickstand posing and the occasional hooligan/canyon session.
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #207
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Umm, because you can't legally ride at triple digit speeds anywhere in North America?
Never stopped me from doing triple digit speed when I want to.
If you're riding a motorcycle, that shouldn't stop you neither... Judging from your avitar; you're risk taker, not to be comformed by society laws.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #208
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
So how do you like the RC8?

I have a Super Duke and looked hard at RC8s, talked to a couple guys who traded SD for RC8 and regretted it.
Great going fast, not so great when just riding.
RC8R is a fantastic sport bike. I had no complaints, but I realized that I would never come close to extracting its full sporting potential, so I traded it when I got my K1600GT. If I go back to a sport bike, I think I'll be looking for another SV650S. Love the V-twin, very forgiving, and can be tweaked into a capable track machine.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #209
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Honda CRF450x

Thought I wanted a fun, powerful bike for riding trails and dirtroads around here that was street legal. Looked forever and found a 450x that someone had plated. It a few tweaks done to it, jetted, exhaust, etc. I never had ridden one and rode 5 hours one way to get it. (I never had a dirtbike other than a DS80 from when I was a kid)

Got it home and after about 5 minutes on a dirt road I knew I effed up. I couldn't ride it without bumping the throttle and almost getting threw off backwards, couldn't touch the ground with my feet ever. But I did have a street legal bike that I could jump several feet off the ground with. lol

Bottom line is that it was my fault for basically buying a race thoroughbred to do what an old trail horse should do.

Sold it a few months later after putting maybe 25 miles on it.

Oh, and one time I spent 19k on brand new Harley and took a year for reality to sink in that I didn't like it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #210
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped Knuckles View Post
After 13 pages , doesn't anybody have something horrible to say about the 955i Tiger ?
Beautiful bike--in every color except silver (IMO). When used ones were coming up for sale locally most were silver else I might have owned one.

There was a nice looking one at a local used bike dealer that I was thinking about going to see. Another inmate bought it. Sold it a couple of weeks later. Just didn't do it for him.

That dealership doesn't allow test rides, and I think his first ride was after he bought it.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote