User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
treysmagna OP
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
1984 Cr500

I am not sure why I wanted one so bad, but I ended up finding a nice 1984 CR500 from a guy in Abilene Tx. Went and picked it up Wed and got her home. She screams! Now all I have to do is complete the restoration.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treysmagna/4690812378/

treysmagna screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 06:50 AM
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,150
Those things are crazy!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
treysmagna OP
Bald is beautiful

Yeah they are

Yeah, the bike has all the power I will ever need for sure!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
I ice raced an '85 for a number of years and my only issue with it was getting it started. It often took ether and a tow to get it to light when cold- afterwards it could usually be made to go with the kicker. It always seemed to me that the gear ratio from the starter was wrong, the lever was mounted too high, and it bottomed out against the footpeg too soon and folded your foot like a taco. Later versions had an improved ignition system and a redesigned starter lever- and I suspect different internal gearing for the starter mechanism. One of my competitors had a '93 or so machine that started as easy as pie, and I hated him for that. Well, that and being a much better rider than me.

Yes my CR500 was fast- but I later discovered I could go a lot faster on my XR600. It could just find so much more traction.....
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
treysmagna OP
Bald is beautiful

I feel so much better now knowing that I will probably never be able to kick start this beast! Ih well. It runs like a scalded ass ape and I guess that is all that counts in the end. Service Honda has an upgraded eletical system listed, but it is not available so I guess I will start looking at the stator and coil to make sure they are in good shape. Then I will start replacing plastic and other cosmetic stuff. This is going to be fun.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
There used to be all sorts of advice for starting the beast- I remember folks swearing all you needed to do was lean the bike waaaaay over until gas drooled out of the carb overflow- I think the idea was to spill raw gas into the intake to prime it. I spent a lot of time making sure the timing and electrical system on mine was up to par, which it was, and that it was jetted properly- the starting problems seemed to come down to poor spark energy at the engine speeds you could get when kicking it over. It may be possible to adapt a later kickstarter, and this might let you get a slightly better kick and keep from bottoming on the footpeg.

FWIW, I never actually rode mine as a dirtbike- it was an ice racer only. I could start it reliably in the garage when doing maintenance and it was at 65F, so much of my issues with the machine could be temperature related.

Have fun with it!
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
treysmagna OP
Bald is beautiful

I plan to have some fun tinkering with this thing and it was a blast to ride it! Never had a bike I didnt like, but I only keep the ones I love! We will see if I fall in love with it or not.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
I got to ride one of those for about an hour, in the woods, tight trails. My brain was always about a half second behind what the bike was doing. I'd be in a corner and I was still thinking about the straight leading into it.

My that hurt.

The KDX 175 was better in the tight stuff.....
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
treysmagna OP
Bald is beautiful

After riding this monster down my street I get the sense that when I am in the woods riding I will long to be on my old 89 CR250 or my 98 CR125 again. I have wanted a CR500 for a very long time and I dont know why, but it may be sort lived or it may end up just being the bike that gets restored and sits at the truck only for an occasional ride across the pasture. But, I will resore it as best I can and I will ride it if only every once in a while. I am sure it will be good for some stories some day like the Can Am 400 Qualifier that my Brother n Law has that I ghosted in the woods more than once.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Any news on this CR?

My uncle just gifted me an 84, has not run in 10 years, and he only rode it once - on his test ride when he bought it.