Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #226
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Joel - did you get the suspension fixed on your KTM yet? It works better when the front end isn't a pogo stick.

There is something in Death Valley for every rider at any level, plus we haven't left a Noob unaccounted for yet. You'll see plenty of pics and videos of the carnage at various places, but we do get most of the riders through stuff without incident so don't let that scare you off.

Please do learn how to fix a flat tire on your bike BEFORE you go to Death Valley. Every year somebody heads out and gets a flat, and doesn't have the tools, supplies, or the first idea on how to change a tube. Don't think it won't happen to you, I had a flat yesterday and my hand pump was giving me trouble and a jeeper helped me out with a shot of air from a compressor. Time to get a backup pump.
tim, that's good advise for dv virgins and others.

yeah, front forks fixed but my sand skill NO.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
I'll be at the resort from the 22nd to the 28th of March, sorry I'm going to miss the later festivities. I can't stay past Thursday morning as my wife has to be back at work the following Monday. If there are any other early arrivals, please feel free to visit my RV(23' Fleetwood jamboree and black dr650) and we'll ride somewhere.

bruce, good chance i will see you thursday, and even ride with ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Joel,
Bringing the RV with Sher and Nick, so 3 of us. We'll be there Wed to Sun if possible, so we'll be in for meals. Can help out with that too. Need a RV spot, no hookups ok.

Thanks!!
chris, you must had a good time this weekend with fam and rv that you decided to go big. awesome!

i heard you and jim went to dv, howasit?
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #227
Megaplow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Super in for two

This was a blast a few years ago and I would love to be part of the 2013 trip.

How do I sign up? Megaplow and Super Nanni are good to go. We would like to be part of the meal plan too.

Joe
05' BMW 1200 ST
00' BMW 1150 GS
Megaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #228
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
I see a lot of people wanting to learn how to do things on their motorbike. Loop it out, crash it in sand, ride like Joel.

Well, I can't help with that. But to see if any of the promoting I did last year is actually paying off, we have a few schools scheduled previous to this event so you can head out to the Noob Rally a better and safer rider. Get it in two days, not 10 minutes!

Our winter/spring schedule should be on my web site very soon,
JIMMY

www.jimmylewisoffroad.com
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #229
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Just two from BC, the rest are Albertans but don't hold that against them! Dirt is preferred, as long as there's beer, gasoline, and some water we'll be golden. There's at least one other I saw posted on here from BC too, might be an invasion.

Sorry, the others are Duane, Mike, and Matt the losers aren't on ADV so no user names.
See you guys there! I'm trying to bring another one or two with me too.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #230
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadbruce View Post
I'll be at the resort from the 22nd to the 28th of March, sorry I'm going to miss the later festivities. I can't stay past Thursday morning as my wife has to be back at work the following Monday. If there are any other early arrivals, please feel free to visit my RV(23' Fleetwood jamboree and black dr650) and we'll ride somewhere.
I should be there on or about Saturday, the 23rd,; pickup camper and trailer with two Huskys. One for the road, and one for the dirt. I will be up for a ride somewhere and will look you up.
Blaise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #231
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
I see a lot of people wanting to learn how to do things on their motorbike. Loop it out, crash it in sand, ride like Joel.

Well, I can't help with that. But to see if any of the promoting I did last year is actually paying off, we have a few schools scheduled previous to this event so you can head out to the Noob Rally a better and safer rider. Get it in two days, not 10 minutes!

JIMMY

This is a very worth while class. Jimmy has been de-nOObing nOObs for many years.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #232
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Please do learn how to fix a flat tire on your bike BEFORE you go to Death Valley. Every year somebody heads out and gets a flat, and doesn't have the tools, supplies, or the first idea on how to change a tube. Don't think it won't happen to you, I had a flat yesterday and my hand pump was giving me trouble and a jeeper helped me out with a shot of air from a compressor. Time to get a backup pump.
I will second this. The best way to do this is when you order fresh tires (or order up some heavy duty inner tubes), use that as your opportunity to practice and learn. Try and do it with just the tools you carry on your bike (a few wrenches, tire irons, and maybe a valve stem snake and Motion Pro Third Hand). Bead breaking can be one thing that catches you off guard in the desert...a few MX boots from the people around you can work well, as does the kick stand of another bike (or the built in bead breaker on a 1200GS center stand).

If there are any n00b's around downtown LA that would like some help changing a tire or tube for the first time, let me know, I would be glad to help sometime between now and then.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #233
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
tim, that's good advise for dv virgins and others.

yeah, front forks fixed but my sand skill NO.....
Joel

You need to get on 3 wheels .....

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #234
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
I will second this. The best way to do this is when you order fresh tires (or order up some heavy duty inner tubes), use that as your opportunity to practice and learn. Try and do it with just the tools you carry on your bike (a few wrenches, tire irons, and maybe a valve stem snake and Motion Pro Third Hand). Bead breaking can be one thing that catches you off guard in the desert...a few MX boots from the people around you can work well, as does the kick stand of another bike (or the built in bead breaker on a 1200GS center stand).

If there are any n00b's around downtown LA that would like some help changing a tire or tube for the first time, let me know, I would be glad to help sometime between now and then.
I'm in Temecula, but riding over just might be worth it (and make a pch weekend of it.....) Great and generous offer for us n00bs - thanks!!

I have time off after Christmas....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #235
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post

JIMMY

Since you haven't posted a schedule yet.....how about a n00b class the weekend of January 5/6?

It's the only time before the rally that I can make it out... and I definitely need help....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #236
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Oddometer: 2,510
OK, after looking at the pics since my last post it seems to me the money I would need to spend to outfit my bike for this trip would be better spent on an old dirt bike I can just thrash the shit out of.

And I have no clue how to repair a flat tire on the trail.

Back to the drawing board to re-access ...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #237
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
Chris, you must had a good time this weekend with fam and rv that you decided to go big. awesome!

I heard you and jim went to dv, howasit?

Yes, finally got some new tires put on the RV. Those huge michelins are big $$. Don't complain about tires for your bikes guys.

Then a trip to the gas station to top up the fuel and propane tanks - $250. OUCH! When we bought our motorhome 8 years ago gas was about $1.60 per gallon. When it got to $2 we were complaining.

I haven't been through Goler Wash since about 2005, and that was with CA4W Panamint Valley Daze. It was about a 6' step that you either winched over or if you had lockers could crawl over. This year they came and filled it in, you could drive a civic up there now. Here's Jim riding down the 'step':

Striped Butte:

Full Ride Report Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20119683&postcount=247

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #238
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
OK, after looking at the pics since my last post it seems to me the money I would need to spend to outfit my bike for this trip would be better spent on an old dirt bike I can just thrash the shit out of.

And I have no clue how to repair a flat tire on the trail.

Back to the drawing board to re-access ...

SaS,

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I live in Camarillo and would be happy to come by and evaluate your need for gear... Let me know.

After all, it can't be any worse than this NooB

Packing for the weather.

Apparently, Joel's most prized item of his bike is the seat.

Better protection than a condom.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #239
lifeofreilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey it's Seth (changed my screen name, was weare138).
Looking forward to getting back to the desert and riding with everyone again. We should have a solid crew from adobe this year. I'll be donating a copy of photoshop for the raffle. Cheers,
_Seth

lifeofreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #240
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I'm in Temecula, but riding over just might be worth it (and make a pch weekend of it.....) Great and generous offer for us n00bs - thanks!!

I have time off after Christmas....

With the Holidays upon us riding might slow down a bit,,, or not but never fear, if we need to instill some knowledge on the new group of NooBs we'll make it happen. Riding, changing flats, and what to bring will all be covered soon !

Maybe you can make it to the Long Beach M/C show so we can meet you ?

It's a good place to see what is available for Dual Sporting...
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote