Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #151
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Gees, I don't know....is that rear still legal? Those South Oz coppers see that they'll yell "Outlaw" and taser you until you stop kickin.

it still says 'rally' in between 'some' of the blocks

Are the Police task force boys still wearing their 99%er patches? The dicks. Makes me ashamed to have been born a South Orstrayun.

On a tyre note, what do you think of the Rallye on the red dirt? Hook up and brake ok? What about side slip? Let go easy or controlled?
i found the hook-up and braking to be great... but i recon the go sideways a bit in the deeper dirt and sand... quite a few time i found the back heading sideways for the deepest rut....

amazed how long the lasted (rear about twice a TKC, front about the same.. also gave no highway wobbles (and they were spooned on out in the bush and not balanced

i'm not a convert yet, but i'd run them again in the right circumstances...

prob if i was to re-do the 16,000km these did again i'd go with TKC-80s as i normally run them, just to compare the 2 tyres over the same 'interesting' terrain...

waiting on a back order of K60's to arrive...trying one of those next...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #152
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Yeah, the K60 won't drive in the red stuff. It'll last...yeah sure...but actually drive and brake...er..no.

The roads around the Snowy Mtns are mostly fine gravel on red clay. When these roads are wet the K60 was just like the Scorpion Trail. They were ok in the gravel I thought, but my wife on the back reckons the rear moved around a lot. I thought it moved around a little. She says she was shitting bricks most of the time on gravel and as a result she tensed up and all her back muscles would start going nuts.

Changed to E07 and she says it's much easier on her back. Weird.

I did make a tyre iron and groove out the K60s, they had roughly 10,000km on them and had 7mm out of 13 left at centre.

I put a couple thousand kms on them like this and they were heaps better on gravel. They started to sweat an oily residue just after I changed them. They'd been sitting in the sun for a week. They have a blue sheen on them now, and when it rains, an oily rainbow. Don't know why.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #153
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,191
Quite happy with the rear Rally on my Guzzi. Tread life has yet to be determined. For reference, I got about 3500 miles out of a TKC-80 rear. The Rally has great traction overall (ideal for surfaces shown, IMHO) with a slight decrease in lateral grip when compared to the TKC-80.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #154
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The only thing I'd add is that they hang on great on the tar, but the outside knobs tend to wear badly if you get frisky 2 up and start dragging your toes and pegs.

Great off road. Really like them.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #155
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have a spare Karoo 2 for the front, thought I would try it when the Scorpion Rally is spent. It's definitely more road-oriented than the rally, with closer spaced and shorter knobs. The Karoo(T) that came on the bike was so bad offroad I pulled it off after just 200 miles. I'm skeptical about the regular Karoo front. OTOH, the rally has been just fantastic. It has about 2500 miles on it with maybe another thousand to go. Starting to 'ramp' a bit, so it may come off before it's fully worn down. They do firm up with a few hundred miles on them and will rail the corners, both on and off pavement.
What tire pressure are you riding them on road and off? Are you adjusting them to terrain?
I hear good things in general about both Karoo's including some of the guys riding the GS Trophy event and the Karoo T's that are mounted on these bikes
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #156
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

90kms.

That's how long it took riding solo to chunk and rip the Rallye.

More damage, off road, in 90kms than in the previous thousand 2 up.

They don't like being run hard and wheel spinning. They work ok at it, they just don't wear ok doing it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #157
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye
I have a spare Karoo 2 for the front, thought I would try it when the Scorpion Rally is spent. It's definitely more road-oriented than the rally, with closer spaced and shorter knobs. The Karoo(T) that came on the bike was so bad offroad I pulled it off after just 200 miles. I'm skeptical about the regular Karoo front. OTOH, the rally has been just fantastic. It has about 2500 miles on it with maybe another thousand to go. Starting to 'ramp' a bit, so it may come off before it's fully worn down. They do firm up with a few hundred miles on them and will rail the corners, both on and off pavement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
What tire pressure are you riding them on road and off? Are you adjusting them to terrain?
I hear good things in general about both Karoo's including some of the guys riding the GS Trophy event and the Karoo T's that are mounted on these bikes
The scorp rally front finally got squirelly after about 3500 miles so I put the Karoo II on it that I had sitting around. The rally looked about 75% worn. I run everything at about 20lbs on and off, or air up to 25lbs or so if it's gonna be a long road trek (which I don't do on this bike). It does not bite as well as the rally offroad but is okay, works fine on road, no head-shake at 75-plus so that's good. This is on the Husqvarna TE630 though.

The Karoo (T) Traveler were absolute pieces of shit. Worst tire I've ever run on a bike. The front I took off at 200 miles, the rear was worn to 1/8" in 750 miles. I would run 25lbs on road and 18-20 off. This is on a 325lb bike.

Next tire I'm trying on the front is a T63 since I like them so well for the rear.

On the Tiger XC either the stock Scorpion Trails or the Fullbore USA M40/41's. Both are great tires.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #158
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
90kms.

That's how long it took riding solo to chunk and rip the Rallye.

More damage, off road, in 90kms than in the previous thousand 2 up.

They don't like being run hard and wheel spinning. They work ok at it, they just don't wear ok doing it.

Have you tried an E-09? I've been pretty surprised how well they hold up to a beating...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #159
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Will they be as easy to take on and off as the TKCs?
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #160
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
Will they be as easy to take on and off as the TKCs?
better off than on. It's a mostly off road oriented tire and if you try it on street you'll have soon to buy a new one :o)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...t21-rear-tires
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #161
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Quite happy with the rear Rally on my Guzzi. Tread life has yet to be determined. For reference, I got about 3500 miles out of a TKC-80 rear. The Rally has great traction overall (ideal for surfaces shown, IMHO) with a slight decrease in lateral grip when compared to the TKC-80.

How do you like your Stelvio? My dad has a Norge and he really wants the Stelvio NTX. Come to think of it he wants every Guzz and so do I
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #162
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Have you tried an E-09? I've been pretty surprised how well they hold up to a beating...
Been through a few E09's.

On the F800 they go about 6000kms. Work well off road, and would be my choice for pure firetrail work.

The Rally has far better on road grip and wet grip. So it's a compromise as always.

But I am liking the Rally so far.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #163
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
So what is the conclusion?

Wow, lots to read here but how does the new size 150/70-17 Scorpion Rally tire fair? Anyone else have a test completed?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #164
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

My Scorpion Rallye is approaching replacement. It's practically useless in gravel now. About half tread depth.

Basically it's done around 3000kms of mainly firetrails, about 20% twisty asphalt in the mountains.

I kept the pressures at max, because it is running max load with pillion and paniers.

The Scorpion Rallye front is barely wearing. Grips ok. Understeers every where.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #165
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
How do you like your Stelvio? My dad has a Norge and he really wants the Stelvio NTX. Come to think of it he wants every Guzz and so do I
I love it. It's a great engine mated with a very versatile and capable chassis. The only letdown is that the suspension really isn't up to the task of anything off-pavement other than normal dirt roads, but for most, that is sufficient.

I ended up changing out my rear Scorpion Rally at around 3100 miles (front TKC lasted 6600 miles!). However, I expect to be putting a full set of Rallys back on for some big-bike adventure riding in May.