User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #31
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
buy the k

I have had both and the K is much nicer bike. The R has character and style but the K has everything else in spades.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall07 View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have an opportunity to purchase one of these (45k miles). It's in very good shape and it's got bodywork from a Last Edition R100CS, but I would prefer to have a full faring for bad weather days. How hard is it to get a full faring for one of these? Also, how good of a daily driver do you think it would be for a guy that's 6'4" and 250lbs?

I also have the option to get a 1995 K1100RS (25K miles) with a lot of extras from the same guy.

I would only be buying one of them. Which would you guys suggest for DD for a guy my size and for trips with the petite wife?

Thanks for helping out a noob.
Dude,

At 6' 4" and 250lbs planning to ride two-up.

But the K-bike.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeerd View Post
Made the deal yesterday evening and man I'm excited!
It needs a little work here and there but nothing unusual for a bike that has been sitting for a while. I'm looking forward to the effort of getting it back on the road.

Alan
Alan, . . . You Bastard! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . You lucky Bastard.

Nice find bud.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
tsmall07
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Dude,

At 6' 4" and 250lbs planning to ride two-up.

But the K-bike.

I'm assuming you meant BUY the k-bike. Thanks for the advice.

I rode a brand new R1200GS and it pulled me fine. I didn't know how much power the older ones had.
tsmall07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,345
The K11 will have plenty of oomph.
The R100RS will tootle along but loaded will take a little longer to get there and responsiveness is down relative to the K11.
At your height, with the R100RS bars, you may be a little cramped, but your helmet will be above the buffet zone from the screen!
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
headtube
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall07 View Post
How hard is it to get a full faring for one of these?
If you decide on the RS you can find a fairing here. (not my auction) Whatever you do, it'll be a blast. I bought an RS two months ago. Still wrenching, but have put 12 miles on her. Very nice.
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
airheadPete
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool2 Horses for courses

Hey, I'm one of the new guys, I'm a bit surprised no one has brought up the philosophical differences between the bikes. Will you only have one bike? (a regrettable situation). Do you like to wrench? Are you a patient sort? Do you value mechanical purity? - the RS. Do you need to get there ASAP? Would you rather ride than repair? Do you just want to get the job done, so get the most capable tool? - the K. I'm about your size: 6'3", 275 lbs. If it doesn't work properly, I might just snap it in half. I have an '81 RS and a K equivalent: a '91 FJ1200 and ride both regularly. I'm a trained wrench and love my airheads, but the FJ is the better tool. I'd say if you don't feel something for the old airheads, (and lets face it, technology has left them far behind in the rear view mirror), get the K. Especially two up. (and this from a guy with three airheads.)
airheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #38
tsmall07
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Well, I appreciate old stuff, but right now the priority is getting there quickly and reliably. I guess I'll end up making an offer on the K. I can wrench. We've got 5 cars/truck and I do all the work myself. I've got an e28 535i for fun & track use, but I dd an e34 540/6. I guess this is the same situation.

I've got (and will be selling) an '82 CB750 Nighthawk right now that I probably shouldn't have bought, but I really liked the "idea" and "feeling" of it. I feel like the R100RS would be a similar purchase, although it's in far better shape than my Honda. I'll end up with another bike at some point. It may be an airhead (don't think I'll be satisfied until I have one) or a new F800GS.

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading on here for months and I knew you guys would help me make the correct decision.

tsmall07 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:37 AM
tsmall07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
bmw

If you pass let me know, looks good
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,964
To change an RS bike to an RT bike is a little more than the fairing. Of course you need that, complete, but don't forget the handlebar and because the handlebar is a bit longer, some of the cables or is it all of the cables have to be changed. The wiring from the switches on the handle bar are usually long enough. Extra wire is pushed into the headlight shell. If not long enough though you have to lengthen an awful lot of wires.

The RS models are usually more Horse Power so they make nice RT bikes once you are done.

I'm an Airhead guy but I think I should say that I agree, K bikes are less maintenance and less likely to break on the road.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'm an Airhead guy but I think I should say that I agree, K bikes are less maintenance and less likely to break on the road.
They're more of a Honda Civic kind of experience though. A lot less character, just push the button and go, only give it gas and change oil for 100k.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote