Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #16
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,267
Here's a route across Texas with stops every 120-130 miles for gas... should be no problem. http://goo.gl/maps/pyKa3

East of Fredericksburg, I diverted to some ranch roads that would take you by Pedenales Falls State Park. Purty country.

A faster way would be to stay on 290, through "Drippin' Sprangs"... and on to Austin.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #17
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
The notion of riding all the way across the USA to get to Key West is not for me. FL is flat! The highest point is like 700'+! There are almost no twisties there. When you get to Key West you can hunt for a parking garage & wander through traffic-is that your idea of a good destination? A camping spot there(if you can get one)costs more than a room elsewhere.The waters not that great for diving , at least not unless you go all the way out to Tortuga on a ferry. Riding the gulf coast in Dec will get you into some seriously nice days & possibly very wet & windy too.You will have passed by far better places to ride in the SW enroute to FL. FL is for fishing & other trendy stuff like Disney , etc.. Leave the biking to better places. My 2 cents...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
I did San Francisco to LA, then across to New Orleans and all the way down to Flamingo in the Everglades... and back up to NC, my final destination.

I started January 10th and rode through March 14th, 2011... I had one of the coldes twinters on record in the recent past... but I really lucked out, because I had one day of snow and one day of rain in 10 weeks!

Places I would not miss if you have time:

Joshua Tree National Park, California
Big Bend National Park, Texas
Fontainebluea State Park, Mandeville... North of Lake Ponchatraine, Louisiana

If you want a link to more info you can PM me.

Charlotte

PS One thing I should have known, as I am a geologist... from Alamogordo toward Carlsbad... if you GO toward Cloud Croft and east... ahhh you may end up like I did. Six inches of snow on the bike and you do not want to ride on cinders... That escarpment is the eastern edge of the Rio Grande Rift Valley... in other words, you go UP UP UP and then you will not come down right away... excpect anywhere from 20 degrees drop or more, and do not do it when a storm front is coming in... I was helped out by some nice cowboys... but if you do go that way, make sure it is clear...

PSS South Florida drivers suck donkey's d*cks... only place I have ridden in my 17 years of riding where I felt people were actively out to get me...

HeyWhatever screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 08:30 AM Reason: Cloudcroft
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
The notion of riding all the way across the USA to get to Key West is not for me. FL is flat! The highest point is like 700'+! There are almost no twisties there. When you get to Key West you can hunt for a parking garage & wander through traffic-is that your idea of a good destination? A camping spot there(if you can get one)costs more than a room elsewhere.The waters not that great for diving , at least not unless you go all the way out to Tortuga on a ferry. Riding the gulf coast in Dec will get you into some seriously nice days & possibly very wet & windy too.You will have passed by far better places to ride in the SW enroute to FL. FL is for fishing & other trendy stuff like Disney , etc.. Leave the biking to better places. My 2 cents...

State parks, <40.00 a night to camp
We might not have "twisties" but we make up for that with some of the worlds most beautiful beaches.
We have plenty of nice places to dive, some accessible from the shore.
Parking in Key west this time of year is not bad at all, especially between christmas and new years.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You don't have to take I-10 to stay on a South route. Look at the secondary roads across AZ and NM and TX. They are all pretty empty and hi-speed capable also. In AZ try 191 to NM78. Then to 180 and NM 152 over to Caballo LK. Jog down South on 187 along I-25 to Las Cruces then 70 over to Alamogordo. From there East on 82 toward Cloudcroft and out at Carlsbad. East into TX to the hill country/ Austin area....and so on. No need to get on the interstates much unless you really need to make time. This route below 40 also keeps you out of the bad weather. Enjoy.
Thanks, I will be looking into these options and some others that have been posted. I all ways appreciate the road less traveled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deersSlayer View Post
Here is the one twisty road that I know of in Florida (who knows, there be be 2 twisty roads in FL!)

http://tinyurl.com/9wkblck

Not long, and it's a dead end. But it has many tight curves, and one really tight one (nearly catches me every time!)
Thanks for the link. This looks like a nice place to be, and id like to make it out that way.
TinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrow View Post

Thanks for the link. This looks like a nice place to be, and id like to make it out that way.
The restaurant at the end of it is quite good. Just be careful, that road goes through a residential area and also has plenty of wild life. On the up side, it is good pavement and some really nice scenery.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
I have never been to Florida, im excited to check it out! There has got to be more to Florida than Snowbirds and Disney?

I get to ride my bike across the U.S. Beginning at the beach in S.F.. Head East, when I cant ride further East I will turn right and I will head South, When I can not ride any further South I will turn and ride some other direction, along the way... relax, swim, change plans, meet new people on the road, encounter unknown adventures, and put another 7,000 miles on my moto.

The geographic locations are just reference points, its what goes into getting there that makes thee ride.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

By the way, I am looking for couch/floor space along the way. If you are anywhere near the routes mentioned on these pages and have room for me to get a few hours sleep along my way Id appreciate that.
I also need a place in Ft Lauderdale, Fl to park my bike for the week of Dec16th - 23rd?
I have been searching the tent space thread as well. Thanks, Gregory
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
By the way, I am looking for couch/floor space along the way. If you are anywhere near the routes mentioned on these pages and have room for me to get a few hours sleep along my way Id appreciate that.
I also need a place in Ft Lauderdale, Fl to park my bike for the week of Dec16th - 23rd?
Well, I would let you crash at my pad, but I'll be out of town for most of the month of December and January.

If you need to find a campground, Florida State Parks are really nice, some right on the water.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Lunatic Dan keyhotey in Las Cruces ,NM runs an ADV hostel. PM him first to arrange a rough date to be there . You can also phone him at 575-740-4598. He also has full facilities for repairs. Tell him Jeff sent you his name. This is right on that route I mentioned at I-25 and US70. He will likely even take you out for some good food too
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
I have never been to Florida, im excited to check it out! There has got to be more to Florida than Snowbirds and Disney?

I get to ride my bike across the U.S. Beginning at the beach in S.F.. Head East, when I cant ride further East I will turn right and I will head South, When I can not ride any further South I will turn and ride some other direction, along the way... relax, swim, change plans, meet new people on the road, encounter unknown adventures, and put another 7,000 miles on my moto.

The geographic locations are just reference points, its what goes into getting there that makes thee ride.

I stand by my opinion. I've been there in the winter & it was a traffic jam all over, overpriced restaurants & lodging and when I went to dive I could see a couple of feet. Yes there are some really nice beaches. Quite a "vibrant" gay scene too, if that's your thing. I tried for a number of years to get 3 days in a row in ANY state campground & no luck as the snowbirds have a thing they do that ties up the spots from around now until ~April. Believe me i tried. it isn't worth the bumper to bumper from mainland out to through the keys to get what they've got! I'll take
carribbean beaches anytime for fishing,diving and general beach time & its actually cheaper to go to Mexico than Key West over all. No, I'm not out to ruin your trip but my opinions are based on real experience. I've been to FL many times & its different things to each but tends toward crowded anywhere near the water.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I stand by my opinion. I've been there in the winter & it was a traffic jam all over, overpriced restaurants & lodging and when I went to dive I could see a couple of feet. Yes there are some really nice beaches. Quite a "vibrant" gay scene too, if that's your thing. I tried for a number of years to get 3 days in a row in ANY state campground & no luck as the snowbirds have a thing they do that ties up the spots from around now until ~April. Believe me i tried. it isn't worth the bumper to bumper from mainland out to through the keys to get what they've got! I'll take
carribbean beaches anytime for fishing,diving and general beach time & its actually cheaper to go to Mexico than Key West over all. No, I'm not out to ruin your trip but my opinions are based on real experience. I've been to FL many times & its different things to each but tends toward crowded anywhere near the water.

You obviously didn't know where to go... lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
I X...& its actually cheaper to go to Mexico than Key West over all. No, I'm not out to ruin your trip but my opinions are based on real experience. I've been to FL many times & its different things to each but tends toward crowded anywhere near the water.
Good post.
Tis true.
Maybe do KW one tome if you feel a need need for that fix.
It's totally comercial BS.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
HWY. 50 is a great ride across Nevada (and beyond) , two lanes and the towns are about 75 miles apart, several 7000 ft. passes along the way....have done it by auto and bicycle (separate trips) and had a great time, will do it by MC next year...waay more interesting and fun than a modern interstate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
I avoided the Keys when I was down in southern Florida on my winter mc trip.

I really can't say enough about the Everglades during the "dry season".

If you go down to Flamingo to camp, you can rent boats and you will probably have a better time camping and paddling around then you ever would in the Keys.

However, there is a HUGE snake problem, so be aware if you are hiking around at night... lol

Here are some statistics.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/naturescienc...thonsintro.htm

The only reason I see to go to the Keys is to go check it out once... and I have so probably would never chose to do it on a bike.

We got stuck for a long time trying to get off the Keys and back to Miami.

I told my friend who was spazzing "there is probably a dead body in the road".

Exactly what it was, too... kind of creepy...