ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Noob rides along front range/mentoring/intro

Hey all. At 43, Just got my first bike ever a month ago (2011 klr650). Lowered the pegs, raised the bars (6'6"), and have nerf bars on the way(i know im going to wreck) As a new rider, I've read proficient motorcycling (over and over), took a MSF class before ever riding the bike, and wear Atgatt. I have both Dual sport riding DVDs and have watched them numerous times, and have been putting them into practice.
As a new rider I have had a quick learning curve. I live up on the Switzerland trail above boulder; so if I want to ride, I have to ride dirt, then sugarloaf rd and boulder canyon to get anywhere. If your not familiar with these roads, they are NOT beginner roads, especially with the gravel from the last few snow storms.
Yesterday I rode the whole Switzerland trail to gold hill, then went over to flaggstaff road. It was sketchy with ice in a couple of areas, but awesome to put some of the techniques I've read about or watched to use! Haven't dumped it...yet.
I would love to ride with some other noobs/mentors to practice more. Also I would like to find an area around boulder that has very similar terrain to what's on the dualsport riding DVD; like a field with a nice hill and runout with an area to practice slalom in loose terrain.If anyone would like to go practice the techniques as shown on the DVD please let me know.
My biggest issue right now is being freaked by loose gravel, or basically not trusting myself to let the rear slide on dirt. I've been getting more confidence by riding to Ned on sugarloaf(dirt) and feel pretty comfortable around 30mph but some of the corners I slow way down in. I've had the rear end cut loose on sugarloaf with the sand and had to trust myself to gun it, it works but is scary.
So basically; hello, wanna ride, know a good place to practice the dualsport riding DVD techniques, wanna ride with another newb so you don't feel dumb when you wreck?

Joe

Also, I have read the shit out of ADV, awesome!
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,033
Welcome to the sport.

I typically send folks to your neck of the woods for learning. Switz, Bunce School road, etc. Unfortunately not much of anything in the mountains without gravel, but you'll get used to it quick if you keep putting down miles. Practising your rear brake control will be the key to a lot.

If you want to expand your horizons then check out the huge network of fire roads west of P2P highway from Rollinsville to Central City. Some get a little uglier, but there's go-around routes for most everything lots of varied terrain and nice views. You'd probably enjoy and up-n-back on Rollins Pass Rd as well.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! I don't mind the gravel roads, in fact Ive been seeking them out, It's just scary and of course will take practice. I've been up rollins in our Syncro several times, II'll go for that next year when its not so late in the season. I'll check out Rollinsville next weekend if the weather holds...Ohh; It's the gravel after they plow on the PAVEMENT that really sketches me out...

Joetool screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 05:11 PM Reason: added
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,047
I live in Ned, but I'm laid up with a recently repaired rotator cuff so no riding for me until spring. That said, drop a PM if you're ever in the neighborhood and want to grab coffee.

There's a course coming up in January put on by American Supercamp. http://www.americansupercamp.com/ind...&id=7&Itemid=8

You may want to check it out. Everyone I know who has taken it found it very valuable for their dirt riding. There are occasionally track days with groups of inmates at IMI. You don't have to get out and go crazy, but it does provide some easy terrain on which to practice Ned's skills.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Gitana, that supercamp looks awesome, I'll have to see what the funds are after xmas...
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Thanks Gitana, that supercamp looks awesome, I'll have to see what the funds are after xmas...
Put the supercamp on your x-mas present request list
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
blackjackdavey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
i only been riding for about a year, and live east of boulder, so i often head west looking for trails to ride.

i also have 2011 KLR. check out KLR forums as well:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

the one of the "easiest" forest roads i found is this one of Sugarloaf: http://goo.gl/maps/2HLqN
but its short, only about 1.5 miles

unfortunately most of trails like that are there-and-back instead of some through routes.

also there is this:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

ping me for a ride when its not too icy.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Blackjack, I didn't even think about 122( peewink)! That is right across from my house! It probably has several areas I could practice the dualsport DVD techniques. I ride past it every day.
I just walked out my door this morning and slipped right on my ass, and smashed my forearm. Ice was coating everything. Now I have a huge gash on my arm, hopefully not broken, but no riding for a few days.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Blackjack, I didn't even think about 122( peewink)! That is right across from my house! It probably has several areas I could practice the dualsport DVD techniques. I ride past it every day.
I just walked out my door this morning and slipped right on my ass, and smashed my forearm. Ice was coating everything. Now I have a huge gash on my arm, hopefully not broken, but no riding for a few days.
Bummer. They say most accidents happen at home. You need to spend less time there, and more time riding.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
I'm also VERY new to off-road, but now have a KTM 990 Adventure AND a Suzuki DRZ400E to throw around. This season was a bit slower than I'd planned due to a ligament injury I got on the last day of American Supercamp this past June, however that system of roads west of 119 between Rollinsville and Central City have been a great place for me to practice. As a fellow noob, I highly recommend that stuff!

If you ever want to go out on some of these, let me know... I'd love to do it.

As for American Supercamp, I highly recommend it... what a freaking blast! You get to play on little bikes with no fear of hurting it and in a pretty controlled environment. The only reason I pulled that ligament was that I was getting a bit ballsy and didn't listen to Danny telling me (pretty much ALL DAY!) to stop putting my left foot so forward in my turns. I'm seriously thinking about doing the January 7th refresher course.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
binskies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I'd be up for some fire roads, etc. I'm not new to riding, but I'm relatively new to dirt. I've been wanting to go out and practice some of the stuff on the dual sport riding dvd's too. I'm in Thornton, and Boulder is just a hop and a skip. Hit me up when you get fixed up.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
binskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday early I'm going to go out and try to get back before the game at 2pm. I want just explore so open to any suggestions that involve staying not much farther than Rollinsville...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
60wag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
It sounds like you live right near Gordon Gulch. It's not a huge area but IMHO has some of the best dirt near Boulder that is on the MVUM.

"If you know what you are doing, you aren't learning anything." A. Lincoln
60wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Hmmmm... I might be able to get free for a few hours on Sunday. Will let you know.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I do live by Gordon gulch and didn't think of that either. Thanks.
I've since checked out peewink and it will be good for me to practice but there are a lot of rocks. The road has a really good mix of uphills and rocky downhills plus a few loose sand areas. I would still like to find a dandyish big field where I could practice letting the rear end get loose without all the rocks.
Going to head out 8ish to Ned, anyone that wants to ride, we could meet by the carasoul between 8-830...