Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #226
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
The capuchin monkeys were all over the beaches in the park, which were worth visiting in their own right.

I hung around for another hour after the tour just enjoying the beach.

There were still some places you did not want to swim, though.

So today I am very thankful that I have the family, health and support that allows me to take such a trip. I am thankful that there are so many pretty, beautiful and amazing things to see and enjoy in the world. It is good to spend some time thinking of the good in life. And for those of you at home, enjoy your family. I sure miss mine, butrealize how lucky I am to have them safe and sound.

WilderRider screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 02:59 PM
WilderRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #227
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

My thanksgiving meal. A chicken sandwich from Chicken Bro

Not bad actually.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #228
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I rode back to Liberia. A nice ride up the coast.

The morning stop.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #229
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another hour down the road and I was going over a bridge, looking in the water, what do I see? Crocodiles.

I did a u-turn to go back and take a couple pictures.

A fun place to take a swim.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #230
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today I crossed back into Nicaragua. It is a little easier coming back, but that is mostly because the Costa Rican side is much easier. It is still about the same number of goofy steps in Nicaragua. Of course, I kept my insurance, so I saved a step there, but it still took almost 2:00 to cross. Quite a bit of that was just waiting in the immigration line with about 100 other people.

It was also a windy day. Sunny and clear otherwise.

You can see the volcano to the right and lake Nicaragua to the left.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #231
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a day of recuperation in Granada, today was another border crossing.

Northern Nicaragua is pretty, but I still don't like the cops.Another shake down for a trumped up illegal pass. Playing the idiot foreigner worked again, but not until I started arguing that the pass was in fact legal did he decide to give me a warning and send me on my way.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #232
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a few lines and about 1 and 1/2 hours at the border, I was back in Honduras and staying in Danli at the same hotel. Different room but the same electrical situation in the shower.

But you can see the bath looks nice

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #233
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another day without a lot of exciting pictures. I wanted to make it as far west today as I could reasonably. I went through Tegucigalpa again, and stopped for an early lunch.

Then I continued on CA5 and took a different way than I did coming. I was hoping to stay on pavement the whole time this way. And I did, but the Honduran sinkholes (calling these potholes just does not do them justice).

And made it to Santa Barbara. Not much to the city, but as nice enough hotel for 638 lempiras.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #234
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Woke up this morning to rain in Santa Barbara. Packed up and it was still a three plus hour ride to the border. It rained the whole way. By the time I was changing my lempiras for quetzals, the lempiras were thoroughly soaked.

I calculated that this was my 10th border in the last 18 days. Luckily this is the easiest border in my opinion. It did not have any lines last time and did not this time either. Plus there are almost no fees going this direction. It helped that I only suspended the aduana from Guatemala.

It was 3:00 by the time I got to Chiquimula. So I decided to find a place for the night. Not too bad with a decent view from my room.

Plus it had decent parking for the bike. Can you see it over at the left?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #235
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I made it back to Antigua. Mostly because it is a good base to get a few things done before I make my final push through Mexico. Obviously, it is one of the cities I know better because I spent more time here.

The ride in was supposed to be a relatively easy 3 hours or so. It was not. Between construction on CA9 that slowed things down to a crawl, and traffic in Guatemala city that slowed to a crawl even midday, it was much slower. The real show stopper was actually outside of GC just 25km before my turn to Antigua. The traffic totally and completely stopped.

This is when having a motorcycle paid off. I was able to weave through the traffic and ride on the shoulder to keep moving. It looked like this.

Even with that advantage though, it took me almost 30 minutes to make it 10 miles. That is because the back up was at least TEN miles of stopped traffic. Not slow traffic, but stopped traffic. People out of their cars, venders walking up and down, etc. I never did figure out what exactly happened, but when I got to the front there were police organizing a clean up and police standing around in riot gear.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #236
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

But yesterday was a day to get some things done. I was overdue on laundry and bike maintenance. Do I dropped off laundry and went to figure out where I could change my oil.

I went to CATours here OK in town. I had heard of them from other reports and had walked by a hundred times when I was here before, but had never stopped in. Well I can confirm every nice thing I had read. The guys there were/are fantastic.

First, they told me that there was a place I could change my oil. The same shop that works on their bikes would let me use some space. Plus the have me ideas about where to get some oil. I left to track that down. I also stopped by my old school to say hi to Billy and see if any students I knew were there. In fact, many of them were, including Freddy from when we were staying at the same house. It was his last day of classes. I agreed to meet him later for a beer.

Then I went to a few places in town. I found oil. Motel again, but in 20w50.

I also did some other shopping, and picked up my laundry. Then I brought my bike back to CAtours because the repair shop is hard to find. One of their guides David "Frenchie " ended up leading me and hanging out while I changed it. Then we went back to CAtours and chatted some more. They also ended up writing out some great directions to take a fun road over to lake Atitlan which is where I will go next. Really great guys.

I hung out with them and some patrons until I had to leave to meet up with Freddy and the others. Then I hung out with them until I had trouble keeping my eyes open and went back to the hotel.

Today it is time to do a little more maintenance, like chain lubing, adjusting, etc. I also want to get my hair cut again. So I will try and go back to the same place I went before.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #237
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
We had fun with James here in Moto Cafe, Antigua.

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #238
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

And just for good record keeping, the mileage for this oil change, etc. Is 32,339. I also passed 10,000km for the trip when I was riding to Antigua.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #239
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catours View Post
We had fun with James here in Moto Cafe, Antigua.

Thanks again. I can't say enough about how helpful you have been, plus plenty of fun. I will be by this afternoon for some more.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #240
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well as I said, the guys at moto cafe and CATours, really helped me out, including giving me directions for a fun route over to lake Atitlan. It was a little tricky, but they obviously know the area really well because from memory, they were able to give me great turn-by-turn directions.

The best part for me was that it gave me something fun to get me moving again. Antigua was starting to feel very comfortable and it was really fun to see people from my school again. Unfortunately, with my bike maintenance I was not able to do as much as I wanted visiting. The best part of traveling is meeting new great people. The worst party is always having to say goodbye.

Buy it was a fun ride up the mountains/volcanoes. Some good views looking back toward Antigua.

And on the other side looking west.

It was a great combination of curvy pavement and relatively easy dirt roads. They even throw in a water crossing were a bridge is washed out.

Eventually, you come up with a view over the lake.