Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #1636
Gummitarzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Saturday night, April 30th marked a turning point for Tom, Charlie, Sarah and I. We’d be parting ways the next morning. Tom and I had nothing planned. Charlie and Sarah were heading west. The Devil’s backbone was on their horizon. Where we’d all end up was uncertain. We just knew we we’re all prepared to take care of ourselves, and it was time to meet new people.

So, that night, the other Aussies hit the road south, headed for Guadalajara and Mexico, City. They are moving pretty fast. Not quite sure we’ll catch up with them until maybe South America.

And the next morning, Sunday May 1st, Charlie, Tom, Sarah and I had a pleasant if not slightly nostalgic group photo to signify 3 weeks together.

That, my friends, is where things go awry!
Jim, (Going South) met us first in the event area for Moto Week, and then again the next day during the Parade. I rode the entire parade route with him, and afterwards before parting ways he told us it was a shame that we were moving on so early, and that if we needed any help in Mazatlan to give him a shout. Well Tom and I liked Jim’s easy going nature, the relative calmness after the storm that was Moto Week, and the idea of taking care of random business over the next two or three days. So, we used our local shout out, and presto! Jim arrived at our doorstep the next morning!

Meet Jim and his wonderful wife Cindy!

Jim and Cindy offered us a place to stay, and Jim offered to show us around town. We accepted, as any place is a good place for us, made even better with good company. And good company we had! Jim is a veteran Alaska fisherman, while Cindy is a restaurant manager. Both are Ballard, Washington residents (part of the year) and took care of business early with 5 kids. When Tom and I rolled into town, they had 2 more!

Here is a view from the beach front condo Tom and I stayed in for the last two days. We’d be staying longer, but we have plans to move south west to Cuernavaca. More people call our names.

Tom apologizes to all of the ladies for shaving his ‘stache, but it was time!

Here in Mazatlan, especially in a beach front condo, there is little need to wear much else then board shorts and sandals. That was our basic attire for the past 48 hours. We never left the compound, as we had bought food in the first 120 minutes. Steak, tortillas, apples, bread, corn, beans, ‘yoghurt’, beer, tequila, and limes all came into play.
The sun was hot, the water was warm, the beer was cold, the people were good, and the past 48 hours have been some of the best that we’ve had all trip long. Meeting Jim was a boon for Tom and I, and are grateful as can be for the opportunity to have met such great people and to have had the opportunity to spend time with them as well!

As soon as we had seen the beach, ogled the scenery, body surfed the waves, and met the local expats, Jim took us up to the 7th floor to show us his place for 10 minutes. Ha. HAHAH! 10 minutes turned into 3 hours, and the fiesta began!

Tom had much to talk about, and his suave manner really pulled in the attention. You tell it how it is Tom.

Only Tom sat on that couch all night. He really liked that couch.

Yea Tom, I see you over there.

Oh, no… Where did that come from!

The bottle was full. The other bottle was not. Cindy didn’t help up. Jim, Tom and I make up 19’, and over 700lbs of man. But…. The Tequila (pronounced Tu-kill-yah) won.

Cindy made us some delicious cheese, tomato, and jalapeno tortilla wraps.

But Tom mistook the habanero picante sauce for the jalapeno picante sauce. It looked like gravy on his plate.

Oh my god. OH MY GOOD! My mouth! I need Water! I need WATER! Please. Please! Please!!!Give me water!

And hence forth, Tom drank much water, and showered his face with the help of a cup, thoroughly washing his entire head.

That’s when we heard that Osama Bin Laden had been brought to justice. Tom is very patriotic, and most definitely drunk. As was I. Tom demanded high-fives from Jim and I. He damned shots. He was obliged dutifully. And then, with much ado we began our migration from the 7th floor to the 2nd, and Tom proceeded to tell me that he most definitely was not going on a ride tomorrow. He couldn’t possibly. How could he? It would be impossible. Not possible. “Alex. No puedo montar manana. Esta imposible.” Yes Tom, you speak wonderful Spanish when you are drunk. Yes Tom, I realize we can’t go for a ride tomorrow. Ok Tom, here is your water.

Oh, you need to sit up? Ok. Do it here Tom.

Oh, you’re tired Tom. Ok. Oh. Yes. That’ll do for now.

What you have just witnessed. Was a giant success!!!

That was yesterday. Today we spent the day lounging, planning our next few days en route to Cuernavaca to find Tom’s long lost friend “Cyntia”, and swimming in the ocean while eating the rest of the food we had bought. We’re heading out tomorrow. It should be great!

Thanks to Jim and Cindy for their gracious hospitality, welcome companionship, and excellent tequila! It’s been a highlight of our trip!

--Alex
Hehe, Tequila have a way of doing that;) Oh and buy the way, the best thing to do when having to strong food is having a shot of liquer. No joke!
Same thing happend to me in Laos. I try to treat it with beer when a Laoit brought me a shot of Lao Lao. It vanished as quikly as it had entered:))

Great RR, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1637
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Hi Al, l may be able to help you find accomodation and a cheap bike, in Sydney l assume?
Backpacker accomodation is probably the cheapest option in Sydney, bearing in mind nothing in Sydney is very cheap. Locations vary. Plenty located in pretty beachside suburbs, eg Bondi, Coogee etc, and close to the city.
If your looking at staying in Sydney for more than a month or two, share accomodation may be the way to go. Gumtree.com.au is a good place to start. Its sort of our version of craigslist. Everything from jobs, bikes, accomodation etc.
One bike or two? Be prepared or a shock re bike prices compared to the us/Canada. ebay.com.au, bikepoint.com.au, gumtree.com.au, tradingpost.com.au are good places to start. Buying from bike shops be prepared to pay tnrough the nose.
I can meet you when you arrive if you like and show you around, get you settled etc.
Let me know what you reckon, or if you need any more info. I lived and worked in Sydney for 30 years so know it pretty well.

Homer
Hello Homer,

Thanks for the info! I've been waist deep in gumtree, seek.com, and a few more websites in my searches thus far. I think the plan is to work for a bit, then travel our asses off, seeing what there is to be seen. I've been spending most of my time looking into finding a job driving a Heavy Rigid truck, as it pays well in consideration of what I am qualified to do. We'll see how that goes. I'll keep everyone posted before it gets to intense!
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #1638
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
No worries Al, seek is probably the best website for a finding a truck driving job. Gumtree too. Put an ad on gumtree looking for a driving job, its free.
Just wondering, will your truck licence from US/Canada transfer to Australia hassle free? Have a look at www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/licensing.html
Should answer a few questions.
Homerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #1639
Maverick75
Rat

Oddometer: 73
Laugh

If you need a place to crash, we're open man, anytime. I reckon I spent about two full weeks reading your report so I owe you that for sure .

Anyhow, enjoy our sparse open wilderness. This is the best country on earth, bar none ;).
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #1640
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
No worries Al, seek is probably the best website for a finding a truck driving job. Gumtree too. Put an ad on gumtree looking for a driving job, its free.
Just wondering, will your truck licence from US/Canada transfer to Australia hassle free? Have a look at www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/licensing.html
Should answer a few questions.
HOMER! My man! I have been wondering, and asking, and searching for a while now, as I too wondered if I would be able to transfer my license. I obviously didn't search that hard though, because I immediately found the information on the website that you provided.

As it turns out, my current international license WILL transfer hassle free and allow me to operate all vehicles that I am qualified for here in the states, and after 6 months, I'll be eligible to apply for a NSW drivers license should I deem necessary.

Great news!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...aslicence.htmlTypes of vehicles that can be driven

1. If you are a visiting car licence holder you may drive vehicles of the kind covered by a NSW class C driver licence (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM and seating up to 12 adults, including the driver).
  2. If you are a visiting motorcycle licence holder you may ride vehicles covered by the overseas licence class.
  3. If you are a visiting heavy vehicle licence holder you may drive vehicles that are authorised by your overseas licence class (More specifically: If you are a temporary overseas visiting truck licence holder you may drive vehicles that are authorised by your overseas licence class.)
Recognised countries:
The countries currently recognised are Austria, Belgium, Canada,
Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued or renewed since 1 April 1991),
Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Malta (licences issued or renewed
since 2 January 2004), The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway,
Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and
United States.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #1641
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
No worries Al, happy to help.
Homerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #1642
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Nice, and good info as well. If I did not have a great job lined up, I think I would head down there just to give it a go! I loved driving trucks, and doing it down there might be pretty interesting.

BigAl, I look forward to your trip and reading more about it.

Please would you make one consideration for us all? Fewer wrecks this time??? I suspect your gal would go for that as well... ;)

Regards,
Brian

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #1643
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

3 weeks until Australia.

Kristi and I depart Jan. 16th. We're ready. Or so we think. Here goes nothing! 3 weeks left until lift off!

--Alex
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #1644
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Kristi and I depart Jan. 16th. We're ready. Or so we think. Here goes nothing! 3 weeks left until lift off!

--Alex
Safe travels!
Looking forward to the RR.
Will you keep it in this thread?
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1645
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Safe travels!
Looking forward to the RR.
Will you keep it in this thread?
A new ride report with follow. I think this one has run it's course now. I've been searching the local ads and ebay for a bike for us though!

--Alex
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1646
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
A new ride report with follow. I think this one has run it's course now. I've been searching the local ads and ebay for a bike for us though!

--Alex
Ok. At least update this thread with a link to the new RR when you start it.
Looking forward to it!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #1647
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 467
Ive been reading this RR as i have time, im on post 955 so i have more to go but im glad the story will continue again.
thanks for the great report
Jake
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #1648
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:

--Alex

Be sure and put a link to the new ride report on this report so we don't miss a thing.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #1649
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:

--Alex
Hey Al - good luck with the trip. Apologies if this is all 205 but be aware that over here, the licensing laws vary from state to state and your visa type may determine what type of licensing laws apply to your circs. Just some thoughts.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #1650
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ive been reading this RR as i have time, im on post 955 so i have more to go but im glad the story will continue again.
thanks for the great report
Jake
Hello Jake! Thanks for reading as you have time. I find that I have a hard time doing that. It's all or nothing for me! I burn through books until they are finished, and then move on to the next. If luck will have it, I'll keep on writing, and you won't have to stop!

Quote:
Be sure and put a link to the new ride report on this report so we don't miss a thing.
I'll be sure to do exactly that.

Quote:
Hey Al - good luck with the trip. Apologies if this is all 205 but be aware that over here, the licensing laws vary from state to state and your visa type may determine what type of licensing laws apply to your circs. Just some thoughts.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm honestly just hoping for the best. I don't mind what type of work I qualify for, and am certain that I'll be able to find something that I can enjoy well enough to suit my needs. There isn't anything that I can do at the moment that will satisfy any further requirements should there be any. So, I'm not worried! Thanks again though.

2.5 weeks to go. Holy hell.

--Alex