User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
phoenixfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
lessons learned from a rookie's first crash

Okay so I'm a completely new rookie (today was my fifth ride ever on a motorcycle of any kind) but have managed to make it without any severe issues, at least until today. I've been kind of nervous waiting for the first time I'd crash, mostly because I wanted to see how I'd handle it. But when it did happen, it was too funny not to share.

i'm riding my Sherpco 125 (Piper) on the flat practicing using my rear brake when my foot slips off the peg and i got behind the throttle. My finger slipped off the clutch and I fell down onto the seatless seat part of the bike as it rockets forward for a good 15-20 feet (we later learned my throttle was possibly actually stuck open which is why i couldn't slow down or stop after the initial operator error). That part, not so funny. But the following is a conversation my brain had with itself as it was trying to survive the 4 to 5 seconds it took for the event to unfold:

Sane part: Mike said when you start going too fast to grab your clutch to slow down and your brakes to stop.
Panicked part: We're going too fast!
Sane part: So grab your clutch!
Panicked part: OH MY GOD that's a big log!
Sane part: Swerve around the log.
Panicked part: OH MY GOD ANOTHER LOG!
Sane part: Then SWERVE AROUND THE LOG and GRAB YOUR CLUTCH!
Panicked part: MADE IT!...but now we're headed toward the tractor.
Sane part: Then grab the clutch.
Panicked part: we're still headed toward the tractor and we're going really fast.
Sane part: Then listen to me and GRAB YOUR CLUTCH!!!!
Panicked part: we're still headed for the tractor...AND STILL GOING REALLY FAST!!!
Sane part: GRAB THE CLUTCH! LET GO OF THE THROTTLE! HIT THE FRONT BRAKE! JUST DO SOMETHING!!!!!
Panicked part: OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THE TRACTOR'S RIGHT THERE! THERE'S A GIGANTIC TIRE AND ITS FULL OF CONCRETE AND ITS...RIGHT...THERE!!!!
Sane part: BAIL BAIL BAIL!!!!
Panicked part: ......too late.....

Yeah that's right. Somehow in the middle of a wide open pasture me and the bike have managed to hit the one piece of farm equipment that was anywhere near the vicinity. And how do I react? I'm laughing hysterically. Because I'm fine. The bike's fine (I actually got back on and kept practicing my rear brake), and I've learned to NEVER EVER EVER let go of the clutch. And now I know...I've hit a tractor going full speed and survived. What could be scary after that?
phoenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Welcome to trials Liz

Liz,
Glad you got your first crash over with.
If you keep riding trials it is just the first of many you have.
No better bike and sport to learn how to fall, yes I said learn how to fall.. For example, If you are going over the bars....tuck and roll and get ready to be followed by your falling bike. Keep you arms and hands close to your body to keep them away from spinning wheels ,chains and sprockets.

Always remember one thing ALWAYS wear your trials boots , knee pads, and helmet. For novice riders elbow pads and a full face down hill mountain bike helmet is a good idea.
In trials,as you know you are always trying to ride progressively harder and harder sections. You are going to fall no matter how good you get. With your gear on a bump or scrape will most likely be your biggest problem besides laughinf till your ribs hurt.

One pointer keep your clutch and front brake levers almost level with your grips instead of angled downward. Easier to keep one finger on them when the bike starts to get away from you.

Have fun
Jack
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,272
It is kinda funny how often that happens when some one is learning to ride (be glad you were on a trials bike and not a crotch rocket) The only thing that will help you is experience. Just remember if something goes way wrong get away from the bike, bike parts are easy to replace (and trials bikes bounce well) body parts are not so easy to replace.

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Glad you're OK! Last fall my daughter had a very similar experience only it was a canoe on a trailer (chest height for her) instead of a tractor. Being a plastic canoe, she bounced off quite spectacularly. It spooked her (she was 8 then) quite a bit but it quickly turned into a war story that she proudly tells.

Seems like we all did something similar when first starting out. I remember being on a Yamaha MX100 with the front wheel against a shed and the rear wheel digging a trench because the throttle was stuck. Took a while for my brain to process a solution. Fortunately I wasn't moving.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
It's been GREAT fun to watch Liz learning and exploring!!! She's doing exceptioanlly well .. as you can see on the video I posted the other day!
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Glad you came out in one piece!

I wish my first bike crash had been that funny and ended as nice... Was about 12 years old and crashed hard on Yamaha MX80, lived through it but can still remember the panic state...

Well I haven't crashed the gasgas TXT 125 trials yet (and I do mean yet) I am sure I will, more than likely sooner than later at the rate I am going. Hope the wife doesn't get mad at me when I crash it, considering it's her bike... (She is letting me learn on it tell we find one for me)

Keep at it!.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote