User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
All Things Hino

So right now, I roll in a dodge station wagon. It kicks ass. An AWD Magnum with a 5.7l Hemi. I have a trailer hitch on it that works for hauling around a few motos.
I work out of town on a 10/4 schedule where there is no trailer parking. I was thinking a box van would be great to drive up, I could park it where I need to and on my 4 off, drive it into the local rhubarb, unload a dirt bike and camp for a few days.
If I decide to get back into scrambles, it will be a handy unit, as well.

I looked at Sprinters. Very cool units. An older cab over Hino, no where near its service life can be had for 1/2 the cost. Dealers are more plentiful and parts should be easier to get. I'm in love with Unimogs, too. They seem a little excessive for my use though. :(

Anyone have any real world experience with these units?
Are my thoughts reasonable?
ATC350X
550MXC

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 11:53 AM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Been in a few cab overs. Don't ride like a car. Fairly smooth roads are like a roller coaster. I would never pick one as a daily driver (any brand). We have a UD at work that I spend a little time in on rare occosions. Very solid truck, but when it needs work, even minor work, that requires specific parts then they get expensive quick.

The nicest enclosed bike hauler I have used recently...
Nissan NV2500 high roof. Ride is as nice as a modern pickup truck, roomy and comfy up front. Not feet packed into some little hole off in the corner like a Ford or Chevy van. And the high roof you can ride right into the back, doors go all the way to the roof. Even came from the factory with tie down rings in the floor that were perfect for strapping the bike down. That thing was very comparable to a Sprinter except it doesn't have a diesel. Then again the last sprinter I used spent 6+ weeks in the dealer as they couldn't figure it out and finally had to have a computer programmed in Germany and shipped here. Something about not allowing the sprinter dealers to program a computer?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

I like the Nissan, too. Not willing to spend that much on a vehicle that will only be used 2 times a month. I have a class 1 license. I've considered

Years ago I had a 1t dodge cargo van. Ex UPS unit. It was great. I'm familiar with the comfort level of a van. The only real problem I had with my feet was that the gas pedal was only inches away from the exhaust manifold. Sometimes a little hot down there.

I'm going to guess that any OEM part will be a little pricey. Consumable parts like u joints, steady bearings, brakes, tires etc should have regular prices.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Sprinter doing great.

Been enjoying life w/ my bikes from a Sprinter. The diesel is tough & surprisingly quiet. Nearly 75,000 miles on mine & found the 13+ qts of motor oil change will go an easy 10k between changes. I usually pull a double axle trailer at near 5k miles a trip. I sleep inside the Sprinter in comfort w/ my LAB. You will not have to pay super high dealer prices unless you want to. There are many internet companies that sell the factory parts at 1/4 of the dealer price.

I'm not looking for more power out of the factory motor. Not really trusting the claims of "more power & more mpg" at the same time.

The brakes are great & still on the factory pads from this 08. I have a dealer tech who is the factory trained expert & have learned a lot about the owners area for maintenance. Sprinter can be a puzzle for the untrained tech. Just don't go to an eye Dr when you need Podiatrist (foot Dr).

good luck on your search
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,029
Why not go for a Chevy or Ford Box van. Should be quite a few leftover Webvan ones. FedEX used them as well. Lot's easier to find parts and work on. I've thought of using an Izuzu flatbed and converting it to do motorhome duty, but changed my mind.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Why not go for a Chevy or Ford Box van. Should be quite a few leftover Webvan ones. FedEX used them as well. Lot's easier to find parts and work on.
I still might. They're typically near the end of their life by the time they reach the used market. I've seen a couple that were not - and over priced in my opinion.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Yeah but "end of life" for an NPR is just an engine overhaul and some new shocks from being good for another hundred thousand miles.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Was referring to a normal 1t chev/ford. After a few hundred thousand kms there is not much left of the engine or trans, their cheap interior, bearings, they'll be on there 4th set of brakes...

A MDT is usually good for 600 or more, then, like you said, may need engine work. Eyes are open for an NPR as well. The Hino is just more popular in my area.

I found an early 90's truck with reasonable kms on it. Might look at it next week.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
You might want to check on Mitsubishi Fuso COE box trucks. I use one every now and then and the ride and gas mileage are great. Down side is they are SLOW. 55-60 puts the engine at max RPM. I really like that truck......

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
Before you buy call you insurance agent to see what it will cost you to insure it. You might be surprised that certain vehicles are super expensive if not impossible to insure for personal use.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,588
I have a 99 Isuzu NPR/Chevy w4500. I have not taken very good care of it, it is always overloaded, and I live in the rust belt. It has 300,000 miles on it and is still super reliable, and I plan to replace it with another. For as bulky as they are, once you get used to driving them they are surprisingly nimble in traffic. Of course mine does not have a box, just a flat bed, so the center of gravity is lower.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Is this something you had in mind?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211889

unknown
Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I can't see the pics in that thread. Just little blue boxes. I went through a couple pages - is it a Pinzguer truck? The reason I'm going with an older 2wd Hino is because I cant justify a Unimog. Yet.
I'm thinking along the lines of the NPR type, except with a box.

Ranger: insurance was first place I had in mind when this idea popped up. I had to get a special permission to operate it as a passenger vehicle, but it is possible where I live. For a very reasonable cost I might add. The paperwork is waiting should I follow through with this.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Sorry, looks like he moved the photos. Here's a video of his truck. I think it was a DAF.

unknown
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Those are neat, too. Probably not as easy to get parts for, though.
ATC350X
550MXC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: