Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post

We got stuck for a long time trying to get off the Keys and back to Miami.

I told my friend who was spazzing "there is probably a dead body in the road".

Exactly what it was, too... kind of creepy...

Yeah, avoid Krome Ave (hw 997)when going through Miami...lol. It can get really sketchy at times, and the some of the gas stations might as well be run by a drug cartel.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Personally I like KW. But you really have to pick when you go. I was down there during the first week of October and it was pretty quiet. Right after that they started having a bunch of festivals. There are a lot of festivals down there.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #33
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrow View Post
How about 62 through Guadalupe Mts., Carlsbad? or the 70 to the 82 through Lincoln National forest? Im planning on stopping by Lubbock to see my sister. So I could drop in from the north or head up from the 10 at Ciudad Juarez and avoid Sierra Blanca.
Good luck on your trip! (Hey, we rode together out at Metcalf with Charlie a few weeks ago ) I lived in Lubbock for a couple years as a young boy, most people would say it's a great place to be from but I have good memories from there. I hope you don't actually make it into Juarez--stay on the El Paso side...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #34
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
You obviously didn't know where to go... lol.
I'm not out for an argument but did have a point to make having had my "disappointments down there".
The FL state parks use "Reserve America" as do many other states & the fed gov for reservations. Seriously, please advise me - "where are these beach spots you speak of" ?
Many serious fisherman do the campground host thing on lakes in FL as it's the only way to have a spot there.Given the rising number of retirees hunting warm locale from rustbelt & Canada, the problem will only get worse. Sure, you can line up in a row in a private FL campground, if thats your fancy. Some locals arrange a "deal" where they rotate a site amongst family/friends to hold it down for the winter.2 weeks is the rule. I know of one guy that has a 40' RV on the same site all winter! I defy you to find a site for the winter unless you start at midnight on the new yrs reservations & even then its a dogfight with the system abusers. Some parks have/save drive-up spots but it's a bit on the stupid side to drive 1,000 miles for a maybe spot.
Please enlighten me...
And no, I didn't make up the part about bumper to bumper traffic out through the keys. Not exactly a bikers paradise.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #35
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
sorry....but I just can't resist jumping in and siding with acejones, Florida is not that bad!!!...... any place you travel is what you make of it and what you do to plan. The mainland state of Florida has some of the best and well known beaches in the world, on either coast. Waves and drive on hard packed sand on the east side and some the whitest, smoothest sand you will ever step in on the west coast. Fishing and diving varies all up and down the coast and you can cater the season and location to whatever you desire. And really, so so diving? In Florida? Do you not realize the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world runs from Miami to Key West? To add to that I can't count the number of man made 'reefs' to entice the undersea critters for our viewing pleasure. But if you want a beach, study the map, the Keys are a string of fossilized coral islands, there ain't much for natural beaches other than Bahia Honda which, BTW, is absolutely fantastic!!!

So now lets get to riding.......sure its flat and no twisties for the most part, but you don't come to Florida for that and if you did you obviously didn't look at a map or understand anything about geography.....seriously, we are likely to be the first ones flooded with global warming, of course we don't have hills and twisties, there is nothing to go up, over and around. What we do have is hundreds of miles roads that run through the everglades to the south and the National forrests to the north. Public roads that as you round a corner you just might wake up a sleeping 'gator or 'croc. South FLA is heavily populated, mainly from the people that realize the cold weather in the north sucks and riding all winter long on straight flat roads is much more fun than cleaning a bike in the garage cuz its too flipping cold or nasty to ride. And let us not forget the Overseas Highway....how many places in the world can you ride or drive down a 120 mile long road through an a chain of islands that is the divider for two major bodies of water!!! Of course there is traffic, or did you not look on the map and see that it is the only way in and out? Unless of course you got the pontoon option for your bike. The view from the bridges on US 1 still amaze me and I average about once every 6-8 weeks making the run to KW on the bike or in the truck. Why hurry.......plan your travel time. You hit Key Largo at 3 in the afternoon and think you can get to KW in a reasonable amount of time with no traffic is like trying to think you can run I-65 between Indy and Louisville in the middle of a weekday and not have to deal with semi tractor trailers.

Make no mistake, KW is a tourist town. The only thing they manufacture down there at the end of the road is drunk tourists. So guess what......in season......winter....when most people want to ride in south FLA, the prices are high. In season rates start the first of December and go through May, why you ask? Because its a tourist destination for everyone in the north that finds it too damn cold to even go to work so they take time off and go to south Florida and the Keys!!!!!!

OK....I am done. With all that said, to the OP. Check your PM, I can hook you up as you pass through and if the timing is right I just might join you on that shitty ass ride down the Overseas Highway to KW. Its a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Ride safe and enjoy YOUR adventure!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

FLARider1 said it well. I always spend the night in Florida City and head down the keys in the morning. I get to KW around noon. Its usually a nice relaxing ride. I don't do it on a Friday or Saturday because thats when the southbound traffic is worst. I also don't leave KW on a Sunday because that's when the northbound traffic is worse. As said before there's only one way in or out so plan your ride and you'll enjoy it more. There are a lot of B&B's in KW so the further you get away from Duval St, the lower the price. KW is a walking town. It doesn't lend itself well to riding your motorcycle. I have on occasion just rented a scooter for the day. Its easier than riding my R1150R around. Parking can be a problem also.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #37
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Good luck on your trip! (Hey, we rode together out at Metcalf with Charlie a few weeks ago ) I lived in Lubbock for a couple years as a young boy, most people would say it's a great place to be from but I have good memories from there. I hope you don't actually make it into Juarez--stay on the El Paso side...
Good to hear from you. Its been a while since i have been out in the dirt, my truck is in the shop. Ill send you a message when I get back and well meet up again? Im hoping to do something in Moab next spring.
Back to the road trip... My sister is in Lubbock so I have to stop, looks like some nice country on the approach via Carlsbad? I used to live in Wichita Falls, it will be interesting to ride through my old neighborhood.
TinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I defy you to find a site for the winter unless you start at midnight on the new yrs reservations & even then its a dogfight with the system abusers.

I camp at state parks year round, I don't have this problem... Really man.. lay off it. We all know you don't like Florida... give it a rest.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I still like Florida.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #40
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I camp at state parks year round, I don't have this problem... Really man.. lay off it. We all know you don't like Florida... give it a rest.
So now you are the one to go to for a camp spot... who do you know?
FWIW- We actually like to go to FL for certain popular state parks & to fish, thus my reason for stating displeasure with not being able to get in the parks. We fish & ride bikes. I was making a point about the difficulty of getting into their parks that you cannot accept. Please visit Reserve America & find me a spot for more than one day running in the winter. Or, find me a camp spot in a southerly beach area state park for more than one day running. Yes, I was making a point & it wasn't about not liking FL, rather about cannot get a frigging camp spot! Many of us don't want to make our reservations a year in advance to the day just to get in a state park as there other things in life going on for some of us. Know what's being said & you won't have to defend the "wrong thing"... or accuse me of beating a dead horse.
As to KW, yes you nailed my opinion on it as I flat have no use for the place . As a cross country destination or a backdoor destination I'll pass on that one .
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #41
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

"To each his own", said the old lady as she kissed her cow.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #42
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Chill out peeps... Florida is still not as expensive as California to camp.
When I was in Florida, February of 2011, none of the snowbirds wanted to camp with pit toilets and no electric...
so if you "rough it" you will do just fine... none of the old geezers want their RVs colder than 65 F in the morning.
That is the case everywhere you go...
Sheesh, Joshua Tree in January had RVs and generators running the entire time I was there...
had to take a huge hike just to get away from the noise and fumes.
You gotta do some research... and look at Tent Space too...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #43
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
Chill out peeps...
Im sure we all have reasons for what we think and do, its what makes us unique. The fact is I have time off and I want to ride across the US, enough said. So if you've got a place for me to crash for a night or two or want to throw in some route advice, jump in. I dont mind the warnings or advice from folks that have had bad experiences, just remember my trip is not your trip. Ill roll with the road, and see where it takes me. Like I said earlier in another post. Point A and B are simply reference points its the journey im looking for. I love riding motorcycles.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
Maximus64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
TinCrow, I'm in Abilene, TX if you need a place to stay or work on your bike. Gotta warm bed, cold beer, bike lift & tools if needed.
Maximus64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus64 View Post
TinCrow, I'm in Abilene, TX if you need a place to stay or work on your bike. Gotta warm bed, cold beer, bike lift & tools if needed.
Thanks so much for the offer. I will be staying with family in Lubbock and Wichita Falls. Its going to be really cool riding through the towns I grew up in. If I end up in Abilene on the way there or back, ill take you up on your offer.

The Rains were crazy and the winds were howlin, so I postponed my departure for one day. We don't get many storms like that here in San Francisco. It was nice from inside the house, crazy on a bike.

Ill be moving this thread over to ride reports. here;s the link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844048

This little rebel didn't make it through the storm. I stopped and got her back on her wheels.